Film, Video Conversation with Andrew White
About this Item
- Conversation with Andrew White
- Larry Appelbaum talks with multi-instrumentalist, composer, author and publisher Andrew White, touching on the artist's studies in classical music and jazz at Howard University, Tanglewood and the Paris Conservatory, and nearly 60 years of performing and recording with musicians from Stevie Wonder to the JFK Quintet, the 5th Dimension and Weather Report. White was known for an encyclopedic knowledge of the music of John Coltrane, and for his 840 transcriptions of Coltrane's improvisations. Appelbaum discusses the art and practice of transcription with the artist, and the more than 2,500 self-produced recordings and publications he distributed through his company Andrew's Music. They review the history of the Washington, D.C. jazz scene in which Andrew White was such a remarkable figure. This conversation was made possible by the Reva & David Logan Foundation, as part of the Library of Congress Jazz Scholars program.
- Event Date
- November 11, 2016
- Running Time
- 1 hours 46 minutes 54 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Conversation with Andrew White. 2016. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9602/.
APA citation style:
(2016) Conversation with Andrew White. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9602/.
MLA citation style:
Conversation with Andrew White. 2016. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9602/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoJazz Scholar John Szwed Larry Appelbaum speaks with jazz scholar and anthropologist John Szwed in a wide-ranging interview about Szwed's background and interests. Their discussion includes topics such as Jelly Roll Morton, Miles Davis, Billie Holiday,...
- Contributor: Szwed, John - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2017-04-17
Film, VideoDianne Reeves Interview Grammy Award-winning vocalist Dianne Reeves discusses her career and interpretations of Ella Fitzgerald's music. This interview was filmed in conjunction with Reeves' concert at the Library, "Dianne Reeves Sings Ella," a commemoration...
- Contributor: Reeves, Dianne - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2017-03-31
Film, VideoConversation with Ingrid Monson Larry Appelbaum of the Music Division interviews jazz scholar Ingrid Monson, discussing a wide range of topics including her background, her work at Harvard University, as well as her research and musical...
- Contributor: Monson, Ingrid - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2017-03-06
Film, VideoAbdullah Ibrahim & Larry Appelbaum in Conversation Abdullah Ibrahim talks with Larry Appelbaum about jazz as part of the Library of Congress Jazz Scholars program.
- Contributor: Ibrahim, Abdullah - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2016-04-19
Film, VideoMaria Schneider on the Creative Process Jazz artist Maria Schneider discusses her approach to the creative process and her collaboration with David Bowie in an interview with Larry Appelbaum. Recorded in conjunction with the world premiere of Schneider's...
- Contributor: Schneider, Maria - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2016-04-12