Film, Video Kardemimmit
About this Item
- Kardemimmit is a quartet consisting of Maija Pokela, Jutta Rahmel, Anna Wegelius and Leeni Wegelius, four women who sing and play kantele. The kantele is a zither or plucked psaltery which is the national instrument of Finland, and comes in several sizes. They mostly play 15-stringed and 38-stringed versions of the instrument.
- Event Date
- April 07, 2021
- - The singing of the group Kardemimmit has a strong foundation in Finnish, Eastern European and Scandinavian traditions. In their music you can hear the Finnish reki-singing style, 19th century dance music, the Perhonjokilaakso kantele playing style, Eastern Finnish archaic improvisation and ancient runo singing. The band has been playing together since 1999, when they came together in the musical institute Juvenalia in their home town of Espoo. Kardemimmit is considered a pioneering kantele band: they have been the Kantele Association's band of the year and won the International Kantele Competition. Kardemimmit has toured extensively in Europe, North America and Japan. The group has released five albums, one of which was published by The Rough Guide. Their 2012 album "Autio Huvila" was chosen as the Finnish folk album of the year.
- Running Time
- 32 minutes 38 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kardemimmit. 2021. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9746/.
APA citation style:
(2021) Kardemimmit. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9746/.
MLA citation style:
Kardemimmit. 2021. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9746/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoRiley Family Band Grammy-winning musician Steve Riley is a widely acclaimed master of the Cajun accordion. He began his musical career at seven, growing up in Mamou, Louisiana. As a teenager he honed his craft...
- Contributor: Riley Family Band
- Date: 2020-06-24
Film, VideoJohn McCutcheon For this concert, American folksinger John McCutcheon performs songs from the collections of the American Folklife Center in the Library of Congress, including his own.
- Contributor: McCutcheon, John
- Date: 2020-07-01
Film, VideoSihasin A performance by Sihasin, the musical duo of siblings Jeneda and Clayson Benally, award-winning musicians from the Diné Navajo Nation in Northern Arizona.
- Contributor: Benally, Clayson - Benally, Jeneda - Sihasin
- Date: 2020-07-08
Film, VideoAlasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas Alasdair Fraser has long been regarded as one of the greatest Scottish fiddlers playing today. His duo with Californian cellist Natalie Haas has helped reconstruct and revive the Scottish tradition of playing...
- Contributor: Haas, Natalie - Fraser, Alasdair
- Date: 2020-07-15
Film, VideoEmma Björling & Petrus Johansson Emma Björling (vocals) is one of the foremost singers of Swedish folksongs performing today. She is a member of the bands Lyy and Skye Consort with Emma Björling, as well as vocal...
- Contributor: Björling, Emma - Johansson, Peter
- Date: 2020-07-22