Film, Video Homegrown: Tenzin Choegyal
About this Item
- Homegrown: Tenzin Choegyal
- Tenzin Choegyal is a Tibetan/Australian artist, composer, activist, musical director and cultural ambassador, widely considered one of the world's finest musicians with Tibetan heritage. He feels a particular connection to the music of the high Himalayan plateau and, as a son of Tibetan nomads, he remains dedicated to preserving the musical traditions of his ancestors. Choegyal is a master of the lingbu (bamboo flute) and the dranyen (three-stringed lute) but is best known for his extraordinary vocal ability and performance of droklu, the nomadic music of his parents. Choegyal's original compositions are inspired by Buddhist texts and poetry, traditional nomadic songs and playful folk tunes that reflect the experiences of the Tibetan people. He also embraces opportunities to take his music into more contemporary, uncharted territory, both in the studio and on stage. Choegyal is a regular at festivals and events in throughout Australia, and has performed in New Zealand, Japan, India, Germany, Bali, Bangladesh, New Caledonia, Russia and the United States. He has nine independent albums, three of them with his fusion band Tibet2Timbuk2. His collaborative albums include "The Last Dalai Lama" with Philip Glass and "Songs from the Bardo" with Laurie Anderson and Jesse Paris Smith -- a moving interpretation of the Tibetan Book of the Dead, which was nominated for a 2020 Grammy Award.
- Event Date
- June 30, 2021
- Running Time
- 35 minutes 2 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Homegrown: Tenzin Choegyal. 2021. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9848/.
APA citation style:
(2021) Homegrown: Tenzin Choegyal. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9848/.
MLA citation style:
Homegrown: Tenzin Choegyal. 2021. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9848/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoOral History with Harmonia Band Members of "Harmonia" discuss the band's origins and the traditional folk music of Eastern Europe.
- Contributor: Fedoriouk, Alexander - Mikhailovich, Walt - Austin, Thea - Pidkivka, Andrei
- Date: 2013-07-11
Film, VideoNorthern Kentucky Brotherhood Singers Concert by the Northern Kentucky Brotherhood Singers.
- Contributor: Northern Kentucky Brotherhood Singers
- Date: 2013-08-07
Film, VideoKalanidhi Dance: Traditional Kuchipudi from Maryland Kalanidhi Dance Company was founded in 2005. Its artistic approach is to explore creative and contemporary ideas through the vocabulary of Kuchipudi, while retaining the essence and integrity of the classical form....
- Contributor: Kalanidhi Dance Company
- Date: 2013-08-14
Film, VideoLos Texmaniacs: Traditional Conjunto Dance Music from Texas Los Texmaniacs mix the simplest yet finest ingredients of Texas music to create a sound solidly rooted in tradition, exploding with contemporary vitality. Their versatility has led them to perform at the...
- Contributor: Los Texmanics
- Date: 2013-09-11
Film, VideoUnukupukupu Halau Hula Unukupukupu is the traditional Halau Hula (Hula School) of Hawai`i Community College, Hilo, Hawai`i. Here ancient dances and songs, rooted in the sacred `Aiha`a Pele (Ritual Dance of Volcanic Phenomena) intermingle with...
- Date: 2012-06-26