3d Object LC #220 Whitman's Cardboard Butterfly
About this Item
- LC #220 Whitman's Cardboard Butterfly
- Contributor Names
- Whitman, Walt, 1819-1892. (Creator)
- Neale, John Mason 1818-1866 (Contributor)
- Created / Published
- Undated; likely between 1850-1860
- Subject Headings
- - Easter
- - Hymns
- - Butterflies in art
- - poetry
- - Manuscripts
- - Box 8 contains cardboard butterfly and four notebooks containing diary entries, poetry drafts and trial lines, prose drafts, notes on Civil War hospital patients, names and addresses, and miscellaneous notes. This is one of the items numbered 1, 2, 5, 7, and 11 in the Library's 1954 pamphlet "Ten Notebooks and a Cardboard Butterfly Missing from the Walt Whitman Papers."
- Call Number/Physical Location
- MSS45443, Box 8: LC #220
- Source Collection
- Thomas Biggs Harned Walt Whitman Collection
- Manuscript Division
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Manuscript Division, Thomas Biggs Harned Walt Whitman Collection.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Whitman, Walt, and John Mason Neale. LC #220 Whitman's Cardboard Butterfly. Undated; Likely Between to 1860, 1850. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/whitman.202/. (Accessed July 28, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Whitman, W. & Neale, J. M. (1850) LC #220 Whitman's Cardboard Butterfly. Undated; Likely Between to 1860. [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/whitman.202/.
MLA citation style:
Whitman, Walt, and John Mason Neale. LC #220 Whitman's Cardboard Butterfly. Undated; Likely Between to 1860, 1850. Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/whitman.202/>.