CollectionWilliam Franklin Patterson papers, Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available Correspondence, military records, writings, newspapers, notes, and fragments. Chiefly letters (1851-1864) from Patterson to his wife, Amelia Sophia Patterson relating principally to his Civil War service with Patterson's Independent Company of Kentucky Volunteers under General G.W. Morgan at Cumberland Gap, with Major General Ulysses S. Grant at Vicksburg, and with the Department of the Gulf in Texas and Louisiana. Also includes letters, sermons, and...
- Contributor: Patterson, William Franklin - Schaeffer, F. C. (Frederick Christian)
CollectionJames Brown papers, Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available Volumes containing correspondence and legal and commercial documents pertaining to Brown's Louisiana law practice and his service as U.S. senator. Papers primarily concern legal practices and social conditions in Louisiana. Includes papers relating to the court-martial of U.S. Army officer, Thomas Butler (1804-1805). Correspondents include James's brother, U.S. Senator John Brown, and a second brother, Samuel.
- Contributor: Brown, James
CollectionAaron Burton Levisee papers, Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available Diaries (1847-1895; volumes 1-5, 7) documenting Levisee's activities as a student at the University of Michigan, school teacher in Alabama, lawyer in Louisiana, soldier in the Confederate army, judge and state legislator in Louisiana during Reconstruction, Republican elector for the state of Louisiana in the presidential election of 1876, and later as an internal revenue agent in California and the Pacific Northwest. Also includes...
- Contributor: Levisee, Aaron Burton
CollectionNathaniel Prentiss Banks papers, Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available Correspondence (1860-1880), and diaries and notebooks, letterbooks, military papers, speeches and writings, scrapbooks, clippings, printed matter, and miscellany relating chiefly to Banks's political career in the House of Representatives and to his service as an army officer during the Civil War. Includes papers on the Kansas territorial question, the assault on Charles Sumner, and the establishment of the Republican Party. Civil War topics include...
- Contributor: Banks, Nathaniel Prentiss
CollectionEdward Everett Hayden family papers, 1817-1963 Naval officer and scientist. Correspondence, diaries, journals, notebooks, financial material, photographs, and other papers pertaining to Hayden's naval and scientific careers and to his family.
- Contributor: Hayden, Edward Everett - Hayden, Alfred - Hayden, Herbert (Herbert Bainbridge) - Hayden, Mary Bainbridge - Hayden, Reynolds - Hayden, William - Reynolds, Joseph Jones
- Date: 1817
CollectionBarnett Allen Howard papers, 1885-1949 Farmer, preacher, and trader. Memoirs documenting Howard's life as well as genealogical material, legal documents, and printed matter.
- Contributor: Howard, Barnett Allen
- Date: 1885
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Georgia A. Rogers
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Rogers, Georgia A.
- Date: 2010-00-00
CollectionWilliam Franklin Patterson papers, 1812-1937 Civil engineer and army officer. Correspondence, military records, writings, newspapers, notes, and fragments relating principally to Patterson’s Civil War service in the Union Army.
- Contributor: Patterson, William Franklin - Schaeffer, F. C. (Frederick Christian)
- Date: 1812
CollectionWayne G. Borah papers, 1928-1950 Judge and attorney. Case files, charges to juries, and reports pertaining chiefly to Borah's service as a judge.
- Contributor: Borah, Wayne G.
- Date: 1928
CollectionCreole United : African American creole music from Louisiana,
American Folklife Center concert, 2015-07-29 | Homegrown 2015, the music of America Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available Video recording, sound recording, and photographs of a concert in the Coolidge Auditorium, Thomas Jefferson Building, Library of Congress on July 29, 2015 as part of the Homegrown concert series sponsored by the American Folklife Center. Creole United is a group representing three generations of Louisiana Creole music culture from southwest Louisiana. Their goal is to bring together active, retired, and upcoming Creole musicians...
- Contributor: American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Library of Congress. Music Division - John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts (U.S.). Millennium Stage
- Date: 2015
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Ambassador Phyllis E. Oakley
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Oakley, Phyllis
- Date: 2000-03-08
CollectionJubal Anderson Early papers, Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available Correspondence, diaries (1847 February-May and 1865 May-November), speeches, articles, military papers, clippings, scrapbook, printed matter, and maps. The pre-Civil War papers reflect Early's years as a West Point cadet and his U.S. Army service, his law practice, and his Virginia political activities. Includes letters (1829-1833) from John J. Cabell to his wife, Henry Ann Cabell. Civil War material documents Early's participation in battles at...
- Contributor: Early, Jubal Anderson
CollectionWalter Quintin Gresham papers, 1857-1932 United States secretary of state, secretary of the treasure, postmaster general, jurist, statesman, and soldier. Correspondence, letterbooks, and printed matter relating mainly to Gresham's service as postmaster general in the administration of Chester Alan Arthur and judge and secretary of state in the administration of Grover Cleveland. Also includes letters Gresham wrote to his wife during the Civil War.
- Contributor: Gresham, Walter Quintin
- Date: 1857
CollectionCivil Rights History Project collection, Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available One hundred and eight filmed oral history interviews with 136 participants in the civil rights movement in the United States and related documentation, created by the National Museum of African American History and Culture in partnership with the American Folklife Center, 2010-2013. The oral histories were conducted by historians Julian Bond, Taylor Branch, David P. Cline, Emilye Crosby, John Dittmer, Will Griffin, Hasan Kwame...
- Contributor: Abernathy, Donzaleigh - Abernathy, Juandalynn R. - Abernathy, Ralph David - Ackerman, David M. - Ackerman, Satoko Ito - Adams-Johnson, Frankye - Anderson, Fletcher - Anderson, Cynthia Baker - Anderson, William G. - Arellanes, Gloria ... Abernathy, Donzaleigh - Abernathy, Juandalynn R. - Abernathy, Ralph David - Ackerman, David M. - Ackerman, Satoko Ito - Adams-Johnson, Frankye - Anderson, Fletcher - Anderson, Cynthia Baker - Anderson, William G. - Arellanes, Gloria - Avery, Annie Pearl - Bailey, D'army - Bassett, Emmett W. - Bassett, Priscilla - Bates, Scott - Becton, Julius W. (Julius Wesley) - Bennett, Geraldine Crawford - Blake, Harry - Bond, Julian - Booker, Simeon - Branch, Raylawni G. - Breaux, Toni - Broadway, Louise W. - Brown, Amos C. (Amos Cleophilus) - Brown, Harold K. - Brown, Robert J. - Browner, Clifford - Bruce, Walter - Burns, Julia Matilda - Burras, Carol Cummings - Caldwell, Ben R. - Camarillo, Mateo - Carawan, Candie - Carawan, Guy - Carlos, John - Carter, Robert L. - Churchville, John Elliott - Clark, Robert George - Cleaver, Kathleen - Collins, Barbara Maria - Connor, Peggy Jean - Conway, Purcell Maurice - Cotton, Dorothy F. - Cox, Courtland - Crosby, David L. - Crosby, Patricia A. - Dahmer, Ellie J. - Dahmer, Vernon - Derby, Doris Adelaide - Diamond, Dion T. - Dixon, Aaron Floyd - Dixon, Elmer - Dove, Samuel - Dudley, John F. - Duncan, Gwendolyn Annette - Finney, Ernest A., (Ernest Adolphus) - Fuller, Linda - Funchess, Glenda - Gaither, Thomas Walter - Geiger, Jack - George, Virginia Simms - Glascoe, Myrtle Gonza - Greenberg, Jack - Greene, Freddie - Grinnell, Gloria Claudette - Guster, Leesco - Guyot, Lawrence - Hamilton, Audrey Nell - Hayling, Robert Bagner - Head, Rosie M. - Henderson, Juadine - Hicks, Charles Ray - Hicks, Darryl Robertson - Hicks, Gregory Vincent - Hicks, Robert Lawrence - Hicks, Valeria Payton - Hildreth, Marilyn Luper - Hill, Oliver W. - Holloway, Eddie A. - Holloway, Emma Kate - Holloway, Lucius - Hopkins, Evans D. - Howard, Elbert - Howell, Embry - Howell, Joseph T. - Hrabowski, Freeman A. - Huggins, Ericka - Hutchings, Phil - Jackson, Gertrude Newsome - Jarmon, Charles - Jenkins, Mary F. - Jenkins, Timothy Lionel - Jenkins, Willie Elliot - Jones, Clarence - Jones, James Oscar - Jones, Jamila - Jones, Mary A. - Jones, Nathaniel Hawthorne - King, Lonnie C. - Ladner, Dorie - Ladner, Joyce A. - Lawrence, William M. - Lawson, Jennifer - Leventhal, Willy S. (Willy Siegel) - Long, Worth W. - Lowery, Joseph E. - Lucy, William - Luper, Calvin - Magee, Clarence - Mahone, Sam - Marshall, Cecilia - McCarty, Michael D. - McClary, Robert - McCullar, Johnnie Ruth - McDew, Charles - McKinney, Samuel Berry - McLaurin, Charles - McNichols, Steven - Miller, Carolyn - Miller, Grace H. - Miller, James E. - Moldovan, Alfred - Moore, E. Maynard - Montes, Carlos - Mtume, Norma - Mulholland, Joan Trumpauer - Newson, Moses J. - Noonan, Martha P. - Parker, Wheeler - Patton, Gwendolyn M. - Perry, Matthew J. (Matthew James) - Richardson, Gloria - Richardson, Judy - Robinson, Betty Garman - Robinson, Reginald - Rosenberg, Jean Voelker - Rosenberg, John M. - Roxborough, Mildred Bond - Russell, Bill - Sales, Ruby - Saunders, William - Seeger, Pete - Sellers, Cleveland - Sherrod, Charles - Sherrod, Shirley - Siler, Charles E. - Simmons, Gwendolyn Zoharah - Simpson, Euvester - Smith, Jeanette - Sobol, Anne Buxton - Sobol, Richard - Stewart, Eleanor - Strickland, William - Suggs, Frances L - Suggs, Harold - Terry, Esther M. A. - Thelwell, Michael - Tillow, Kay - Tillow, Walter M. - Todd, Lisa Anderson - Tuttle, Rick - Ulmer, Joeann Anderson - Varela, Maria - Vickers, Barbara Edna - Vivian, C. T. - Walker, Wyatt Tee - Walter, Mildred Pitts - Williams, Cecil J. - Williams, Junius W. - Wright, Simeon - Young, Carrie Lamar - Young, Sam - Zapata, Luis - Zellner, Dorothy - Bishop, John Melville - Branch, Taylor - Cline, David P. - Crosby, Emilye - Dittmer, John - Griffin, Willie James - Jeffries, Hasan Kwame - Mosnier, Joseph - Paysour, Lafleur - Reece, Dwandalyn R. - Sullivan, Patricia - Taylor, Kieran Walsh - Civil Rights History Project (U.S.) - National Museum of African American History and Culture (U.S.) - Library of Congress - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Southern Oral History Program
- Date: 2010
CollectionTraditional music of coastal Louisiana : the 1934 Lomax recordings
Benjamin Botkin folklife lecture | American Folklife Center lecture, 2013-12-11 Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available Joshua Caffrey, Alan Lomax Fellow in Folklife Studies, Kluge Center, Library of Congress, was the featured presenter in the Benjamin Botkin Folklife Lecture series on December 11, 2013, sponsored by the American Folklife Center. Joshua Caffery examines the songs recorded in the summer of 1934 by John A. Lomax, with assistance from his son Alan, who was then a teenager. While the music they...
- Contributor: Caffery, Joshua Clegg - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2013
CollectionMontgomery family papers, Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available Correspondence, speeches, writings, financial records, newspaper clippings, and other papers of members of the Montgomery family and allied Peck and Perkins families. Includes papers of Giles Foster Montgomery and Emily Redington Montgomery relating to their years as missionaries in Turkey (1863-1888); papers of their son, George Redington Montgomery; and correspondence of their daughter, Mary Borglum, and her husband, Gutzon Borglum. Papers of George Redington...
- Contributor: Montgomery, Emily Redington - Montgomery, George Redington - Montgomery, Giles Foster - Montgomery, Marshall Hugh
CollectionAndrew Jackson Papers The Andrew Jackson Papers is one of twenty-three presidential collections in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress. The Jackson archival collection contains more than 26,000 items dating from 1767 to 1874. Included are memoranda, journals, speeches, military records, land deeds, and miscellaneous printed matter, as well as correspondence reflecting Jackson’s personal life and career as a politician, military officer, president, slave holder...
- Contributor: Jackson, Andrew
Collection Items: View 17,171 Items
CollectionP. Phillips family papers, 1832-1914 Lawyer, state legislator, and United States representative from Alabama. Correspondence, letter books, legal record books, journals, dockets, notebooks, and an unpublished autobiography of P. Phillips, relating chiefly to the law practice of P. Phillips and his son, W. Hallet Phillips, both of whom practiced before the Supreme Court. Contains the writings of P. Phillips's wife, Eugenia, including her journal written while interned during the...
- Contributor: Phillips, P. (Philip) - Levy, Fanny Yates - Levy, Jacob Clavius - Phillips, Eugenia Levy - Phillips, W. Hallett (William Hallet)
- Date: 1832
CollectionCultural Integrity and Local Music: Cape Breton Fiddle, New Orleans Funk,
Benjamin Botkin folklife lecture | American Folklife Center lecture, 2017-06-07 Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available Documentation of a presentation in the Benjamin Botkin Folklife Lecture series sponsored by the American Folklife Center. Based on Burt Feintuch's fieldwork in Cape Breton Island and in New Orleans, this talk develops the idea of "cultural integrity" and explores local desires and anxieties about the role distinctive local music plays in a good and satisfying life. Two seemingly very different places, Cape Breton...
- Contributor: Feintuch, Burt - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2017
CollectionRobert Garrett family papers, 1778-1925 Garrett family of Baltimore, Md. Family members represented include Robert Garrett, railroad official, financier, and merchant, and his son John W. Garrett, railroad official and financier. Correspondence, business documents, and other papers relating to mercantile affairs in Baltimore, Maryland, and to Robert Garrett & Sons and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company.
- Contributor: Garrett, Robert - Garrett, Henry S. (Henry Stouffer) - Garrett, John W. (John Work)
- Date: 1778
CollectionEdward W. Washburn family papers, 1817-1934 Chemist, civil servant, and educator. Diaries, correspondence, school material, notebooks, photographs, financial and military papers, genealogical records, writings, printed matter, and miscellaneous documents pertaining to the family of Edward W. Washburn, mainly in Maine and Nebraska, including Edward’s parents, William Gilmor and Flora Ella Wight Washburn, and grandparents, George A. and Elizabeth Gilmor Washburn. Contains Civil War correspondence and military records of George A....
- Contributor: Washburn, Edward W. (Edward Wight)
- Date: 1817
CollectionVicente Sebastián Pintado papers, 1781-1842 Surveyor general of Spanish West Florida. Correspondence, bills of sale, court transcripts, testimonies, surveys, notebooks, plats, land grants, maps, petitions, and other papers relating principally to Pintado's duties as alcalde, commandant, and surveyor general.
- Contributor: Pintado, Vicente Sebastián - Vicente Sebastián Pintado Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1781
CollectionNathan W. Daniels Diary and Scrapbook The papers of Union army officer and Freedmen’s Bureau advocate Nathan W. Daniels (1836-1867), spanning the years 1861-1867, consist of three volumes of a handwritten diary with photographs, illustrations, and newspaper clippings mounted throughout the text. Also included are a typescript of summaries and transcripts of the bulk of the diaries prepared by the donor of the collection, C. P. Weaver, and a scrapbook...
- Contributor: Daniels, Nathan W. - Richmond, Cora L. V. (Cora Linn Victoria)
Collection Items: View 11 Items