CollectionNew Deal Resources: Preserving the Legacy, Part 1
New Deal at 75 symposium, 2008 March 13-14 | American Folklife Center symposium, 2008-03-13 to 2008-03-14 The "New Deal" Franklin Delano Roosevelt had promised the American people began to take shape immediately after his inauguration on March 4, 1933. The multi-faceted social, cultural and fiscal recovery program aimed to reform and reinvigorate national life, and to end the Great Depression. Many New Deal administrators believed that art could be a part of the daily lives of all Americans, not just...
- Contributor: Various - Brannan, Beverly W. - Birney, Alice L. (Alice Lotvin) - Breiseth, Christopher Neri - Camp, Charles - Clark, Robert William - Cleary, Beth M. - Cole, John Young - Dimunation, Mark G. - Gottesman, Laura ... Various - Brannan, Beverly W. - Birney, Alice L. (Alice Lotvin) - Breiseth, Christopher Neri - Camp, Charles - Clark, Robert William - Cleary, Beth M. - Cole, John Young - Dimunation, Mark G. - Gottesman, Laura - Kalin, Andrea - Katzman, Laura - Kazin, Michael - Kerst, Catherine Hiebert - McDannell, Colleen - Morgan, Mindy J. - Peatross, C. Ford - Rachleff, Peter J. - Remsberg, Rich - Sapoznik, Henry - Tidwell, John Edgar - Wiltsey, Tom - Zvonchenko, Walter - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Library of Congress - National New Deal Preservation Association - United States. National Archives and Records Administration
- Date: 2008-03-13
CollectionParaguayan Folk Harp Ensemble from Nevada
American Folklife Center concert, 2012-09-26 | Paraguayan folk harp ensemble from Nevada | Mariano Gonzalez y sus invitados especiales : Paraguayan folk harp ensemble from Nevada | Homegrown 2012, the music of America The Paraguayan folk harp is one of the most recognizable folk music traditions in South America. Las Vegas resident Mariano Gonzales mesmerizes audiences with his delightful and sometimes surprising repertoire on this handcrafted traditional instrument. His solo performances have included concerts at prestigious venues including Carnegie Hall in New York and Suntory Hall in Tokyo.
- Contributor: Gonzalez, Mariano - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts (U.S.). Millennium Stage
- Date: 2012-09-26
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Hannah Greeley Kaiser
- Contributor: Fenzi, Jewell - Kaiser, Hannah Greeley
- Date: 1987-12-04
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialLetter to Brig. General Sickles from Mary Todd Lincoln, September 31, 1862.
- Contributor: Lincoln, Mary Todd
- Date: 1862-09-31
View 6 Results
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Linda Bell
- Contributor: Fenzi, Jewell - Bell, Linda
- Date: 1991-07-05
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialLetter from Harold Spivacke to John A. Lomax; Huntsville, TX
- Contributor: Spivacke, Harold
- Date: 1939-05-15
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Theresa Loar
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Loar, Theresa
- Date: 2010-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Warren H. Reynolds
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Reynolds, Warren H.
- Date: 1997-02-28
CollectionAmasa J. Parker papers, 1836-1875 United States representative, lawyer, and jurist. Chiefly letters written by Parker while serving in the United States Congress in Washington, D.C. from 1837 to 1839.
- Contributor: Parker, Amasa J. (Amasa Junius) - Parker, Amasa J.
- Date: 1836
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with A. Lincoln Gordon
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Spector, Melbourne L. - Gordon, A. Lincoln
- Date: 1987-09-30
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Ambassador Charles J. Nelson
- Contributor: Tutt, Celestine - Nelson, Charles J. (Charles Joseph)
- Date: 2010-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Michael G. Anderson
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Anderson, Michael G.
- Date: 2005-04-22
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Joseph Toner
- Contributor: Spector, Melbourne L. - Toner, Joseph
- Date: 1989-10-31
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Charles Stuart Kennedy
- Contributor: Fenzi, Jewell - Wolf, Victor, Jr. - Grove, Brandon H., Jr. - Kennedy, Charles Stuart
- Date: 1986-11-17
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Ambassador Larry C. Williamson
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Williamson, Larry C.
- Date: 2006-10-26
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Derek S. Singer
- Contributor: North, William Haven - Singer, Derek S.
- Date: 1999-03-09
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Ambassador Philip M. Kaiser
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Kaiser, Philip M.
- Date: 2005-05-04
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Dorothy Greene Johnson
- Contributor: Schmidt, G. Lewis - Johnson, Dorothy Greene
- Date: 1991-05-27
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Marshall Green
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Martens, Robert J. - Green, Marshall
- Date: 1995-03-17
CollectionAnxieties of Authorship & Ownership: Intellectual Property, Indigenous Collections & Decolonial Futures
Benjamin Botkin folklife lecture | American Folklife Center lecture, 2013-04-03 Jane Anderson discussed the philosophical and practical problems for intellectual property law and the protection of Indigenous/traditional knowledge resources and cultural heritage.
- Contributor: Anderson, Jane - Anderson, Jane E. (Jane Elizabeth) - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2013-04-03
CollectionBaseball Americana Symposium 2009
American Folklife Center symposium, 2009-10-02 to 2009-10-03 Even those of us who love a day out at the ballgame probably spend more of our baseball time in and around our homes, with our families, friends and neighbors. This event explores the many ways we enjoy baseball at home, from watching it on TV, to following our favorite players and their all-important statistics, to playing baseball, softball and stickball in parks and...
- Contributor: Alstrom, Ed - Banks, Ernie - Ceresi, Frank - Cook, Murray - Dickson, Paul - Dierker, Larry - Frank, Russell - Hillerich, John - Johnson, Mamie - Katz, Harry L. ... Alstrom, Ed - Banks, Ernie - Ceresi, Frank - Cook, Murray - Dickson, Paul - Dierker, Larry - Frank, Russell - Hillerich, John - Johnson, Mamie - Katz, Harry L. - Kraig, Bruce - Reyburn, Susan - Smith, Claire - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. Publishing Office - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2009-10-03
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with John H. Trattner
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Trattner, John H.
- Date: 2010-00-00
CollectionCorsican Language & Expressive Culture
Benjamin Botkin folklife lecture | Corsican language and expressive culture | American Folklife Center lecture, 2014-12-02 Since the mid-20th century, a variety of social, economic and political factors have affected the cultural practices and conceptions of identity on the Mediterranean island of Corsica. Linguistic anthropologist Alexandra Jaffe discusses the Corsican language and Corsican expressive culture. She addresses both the island's shift towards the French language and the Corsican language revitalization movement that began in the early 1970s. Drawing on ethnographic...
- Contributor: Jaffe, Alexandra - Jaffe, Alexandra M. (Alexandra Mystra) - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2014-12-02
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Ambassador Rudolf V. Perina
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Perina, Rudolf Vilem
- Date: 2010-00-00
CollectionCoffeehouses: Folk Music, Culture & Counterculture
Coffeehouses: folk music, culture & counterculture | Benjamin Botkin Folklife lecture | American Folklife Center lecture, 2014-04-11 | American Folklife Center symposium, 2014-04-11 Since the 1950s, the history of the American folk music revival has been intertwined with the rise of coffeehouses and coffeehouse culture. This forum brings together notable coffeehouse producer Betsy Siggins from Boston's legendary Club 47, Caffe Lena History Project Founder and Producer Jocelyn Arem, filmmaker and documentarian Todd Kwait, and Baltimore-based performer and "open mic" organizer Rob Hinkal to explore folk music coffeehouses,...
- Contributor: Arem, Jocelyn - Hinkal, Rob - Groce, Nancy - Kwait, Todd - Siggins, Betsy - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2014-04-11