CollectionRumsey family papers, 1661-1907 Family of Bohemia Manor, Cecil County, Md. Correspondence among family members; wills; surveys, deeds, plats, and other documents relating to land ownership; personal and business financial accounts; contracts and other legal documents; sermons; and notes on family history.
- Date: 1661
CollectionHenry Brandon papers, Correspondence, memoranda, diaries, articles, books, reviews, speeches, reports, transcripts of interviews, reference files, notes, appointment books, scrapbooks, and other papers relating to Brandon's career as chief American correspondent for the Sunday Times, London. Documents his coverage of major events and presidential administrations of the second half of the twentieth century, his interest in international relations, and his personal and official contacts with prominent American ...
- Contributor: Brandon, Henry
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Miles S. Pendleton
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Pendleton, Miles S.
- Date: 1998-06-22
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Ruth A. McLendon
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - McLendon, Ruth A.
- Date: 1995-12-18
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Edgar J. Beigel
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Beigel, Edgar J.
- Date: 1990-04-13
CollectionMartin Van Buren Papers, 1787 to 1910 The Martin Van Buren Papers, one of twenty-three presidential collections in the Library of Congress Manuscript Division, contains more than 6,000 items dating from 1787 to circa 1910. The bulk of the material dates from the 1820s, when Van Buren (1782-1862) was a U.S. senator from New York, through his service as secretary of state and vice president in the Andrew Jackson administrations (1829-1837), ...
- Contributor: Van Buren, Martin - Van Buren, John
CollectionBancroft-Bliss families papers, 1788-1928 Correspondence, diary, legal and financial papers, article and book galleys, invitations, and printed material of members of the Bliss and Bancroft families, including George Bancroft (1800-1891); his wife, Elizabeth Davis Bancroft (1803-1886), her first husband, Alexander Bliss (1792-1827); and their son, Alexander Bliss (1827-1896).
- Date: 1788
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Le Rowell
- Contributor: Meyers, Hope Macbride - Rowell, Le
- Date: 1989-06-06
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with David Blakemore
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Blakemore, David
- Date: 1997-11-07
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with G. Jonathan Greenwald
- Contributor: Whitman, Daniel - Greenwald, G. Jonathan
- Date: 1998-03-17
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Ambassador Michael Newlin
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Newlin, Michael H.
- Date: 2010-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Ambassador Stuart Bernstein
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Bernstein, Stuart
- Date: 2005-12-09
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Walter B. Deering
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Deering, Walter
- Date: 2010-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Ambassador Fraser Wilkins
- Contributor: Jessup, Peter - Wilkins, Fraser
- Date: 2010-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Philip C. Habib
- Contributor: Mulcahy, Edward W. - Habib, Philip Charles
- Date: 1984-05-24
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Mark S. Pratt
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Pratt, Mark S.
- Date: 2010-00-00
CollectionOscar Terry Crosby papers, Correspondence, diaries, speeches, writings, subject files, clippings, printed matter and other papers relating to Crosby's work with the Commission for Relief in Belgium and as assistant secretary of the treasury and special commissioner of finance in Europe. Also documents his travels in Africa, East Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. Subjects include international finance, post-World War I German reparations and Allied debts, world peace, ...
- Contributor: Crosby, Oscar Terry
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with William W. Lehfeldt
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Burr, William - Lehfeldt, William W.
- Date: 1987-04-29
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with David E. L'Heureux
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - L'heureux, David Eugene
- Date: 1992-04-24
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with William Lowenthal
- Contributor: Williams, James D. - Lowenthal, William
- Date: 1986-12-01
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialMy Year with Ambassador Joseph C. Grew, 1941-1942: A Personal...
- Contributor: Fearey, Robert A.
- Date: 1991-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Mark Lore
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Lore, Mark
- Date: 1998-06-26
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Charles F. Baldwin
- Contributor: Colton, Kenneth R. - Baldwin, Charles F.
- Date: 1990-04-18
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Peter F. Secchia
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Secchia, Peter F.
- Date: 1994-06-06
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Marguerite Hovey (Margo) Squire
- Contributor: Miller, Kristie - Squire, Marguerite Hovey (Margo)
- Date: 1993-01-22
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Carl F. Norden
- Contributor: Torbert, Horace G. (Horace Gates) - Norden, Carl F.
- Date: 1991-05-02
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Charles Higginson
- Contributor: Ewing, Raymond C. - Higginson, Charles
- Date: 1998-10-13
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Clinton L. Olson
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Olson, Clinton L.
- Date: 1996-04-17
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Jon M. Huntsman Jr.
- Contributor: Chung, Dr. - Kurzbauer, Ruth - Huntsman, Jon M., Jr.
- Date: 1994-02-25
CollectionGeorge Brinton McClellan papers, Correspondence; telegrams; memoranda; diaries; writings; notes; military papers; printed copies of speeches, articles, and books; McClellan family papers; scrapbooks; and other papers relating primarily to McClellan's Civil War service particularly in the Peninsular Campaign and Battle of Antietam, Md. Includes materials relating to his 1864 report on the U.S. Army of the Potomac; years as a cadet and instructor at the United States Military ...
- Contributor: McClellan, George (George Brinton) - McClellan, Ellen Marcy - Minter, Joseph F.
CollectionRobert Garrett family papers, Correspondence, business records, and other papers relating chiefly to the involvement of Robert Garrett and his sons, John W. Garrett and Henry S. Garrett, in mercantile affairs in Baltimore, Md. Focuses on the business of Robert Garrett & Sons in connection with its mercantile trade and banking house, ventures in transportation and communication, and wholesale grocery, produce, forwarding, and commission business; and on the ...
- Contributor: Garrett, Robert - Garrett, Henry S. (Henry Stouffer) - Garrett, John W. (John Work)
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Penelope (Penne) Laingen
- Contributor: Fenzi, Jewell - Williamson, Joan - Laingen, Penelope (Penne)
- Date: 1986-03-27
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with G. Clay Nettles
- Contributor: Ewing, Raymond C. - Nettles, G. Clay
- Date: 1997-07-08
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Frank Oram
- Contributor: Hansen, Allen C. - Oram, Frank
- Date: 1990-12-06
CollectionMatthew Simpson papers, 1829-1927 Methodist clergyman, educator, editor, and orator. Family and general correspondence, diaries, journals, notebooks, notes, scrapbooks, copies of speeches, sermons, and writings, and miscellaneous printed material relating to Simpson's early life in Ohio and Pennsylvania, his presidency of Indiana Asbury University (now DePauw University), editorship of the Western Christian Advocate, and service as a Methodist Episcopal bishop.
- Contributor: Simpson, Matthew
- Date: 1829
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Nancy Forbord
- Contributor: Wong, Monique - Forbord, Nancy
- Date: 1992-12-14
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Peter K. Murphy
- Contributor: Morgan, William D. - Murphy, Peter K.
- Date: 1994-04-04
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialTairiku Ōshū no shokuryō mondai ni kansuru chōsa hōkoku /
大陸欧洲ノ食糧問題ニ関スル調查報告 / Ms. (handwritten). Cover title. Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Website.
- Contributor: Akutsu, Shōz
- Date: 1943
CollectionCordell Hull papers, 1908-1956 United States senator and representative of Tennessee and secretary of state. Correspondence, memoranda, diaries, manuscript of The Memoirs of Cordell Hull (1948), speeches and statements, scrapbooks, and printed matter relating chiefly to Hull's career as secretary of state.
- Contributor: Hull, Cordell
- Date: 1908
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with J. Howard Garnish
- Contributor: Schmidt, G. Lewis - Garnish, J. Howard
- Date: 1989-10-27
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Alice Pickering
- Contributor: Fenzi, Jewell - Becker, Priscilla - Pickering, Alice
- Date: 1992-05-19
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with James L. Tull
- Contributor: Ewing, Raymond C. - Tull, James L.
- Date: 2001-05-31
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Julius W. Walker Jr.
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Walker, Julius W., Jr.
- Date: 1992-04-02
CollectionRobert Kleiman papers, Correspondence; memoranda; interrogations of prisoners of war; reports; propaganda material including leaflets, newspapers, printed matter, and ephemera; newsletters; newspaper clippings; and other papers relating chiefly to Kleiman's service with the U.S. Office of War Information (OWI) during World War II and pertaining to psychological warfare and the use of propaganda in East Asia. Documents his activities in the China-Burma-India Theater, U.S. Army, and in ...
- Contributor: Kleiman, Robert - Fisher, Francis McCracken
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with James M. Wilson, Jr.
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Wilson, James M., Jr.
- Date: 1999-03-31
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Mary Vance Trent
- Contributor: Fenzi, Jewell - Trent, Mary Vance
- Date: 2010-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Michael G. Anderson
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Anderson, Michael G.
- Date: 2005-04-22
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Mary Jo Furgal
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Furgal, Mary Jo
- Date: 2010-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Jonathan Dayton (Jock) Stoddart
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Stoddart, Jonathan Dayton (Jock)
- Date: 2000-01-19
CollectionWallace Carroll papers, Correspondence, memoranda, reports, and propaganda leaflets comprising subject files with narrative histories and inventories documenting Carroll's duties as deputy director for European operations of the U.S. Office of War Information in Washington, D.C. (1944-1945), and, to a lesser extent, as director of the OWI branch in London, England (1942-1944) and his work for the Psychological Strategy Board, the U.S. Dept. of State, and the ...
- Contributor: Carroll, Wallace
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Barrington King
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - King, Barrington
- Date: 1990-04-18
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Ridgway B. Knight
- Contributor: Hamblin, Kirstin - Knight, Ridgway
- Date: 1993-10-23
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Marilyn Johnson
- Contributor: Morin, Ann Miller - Johnson, Marilyn
- Date: 1986-08-04
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with G. Norman Anderson
- Contributor: Moffat, Jay P. - Anderson, G. Norman
- Date: 1996-06-18
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Max W. Kraus
- Contributor: Groce, Claude - Kraus, Max W.
- Date: 1988-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Parke D. Massey
- Contributor: Weisz, Morris - Massey, Parke D.
- Date: 1992-03-19
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Harvey E. Gutman
- Contributor: Van Dyke, Stuart - Gutman, Harvey E.
- Date: 1997-08-26
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Michael B. Smith
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Smith, Michael
- Date: 1993-08-25
CollectionArchibald MacLeish papers, 1907-1981 Poet, playwright, government official, and Librarian of Congress. Papers include correspondence reflecting MacLeish's relations with friends, literary colleagues, and government associates; notebooks (1919-1940s) containing drafts of poetry and prose; manuscript drafts of plays, speeches and radio broadcasts, and speeches written for Franklin D. Roosevelt, Edward R. Stettinius, and Harry S. Truman; and notes and manuscripts for classroom lectures on modern poetry given by MacLeish ...
- Contributor: Macleish, Archibald
- Date: 1907
CollectionGeorge S. Patton papers, 1807-1979 United States Army officer. Correspondence, memoranda, diaries, journals, writings, speeches and lectures, military papers, scrapbooks, military publications, maps, photographs, and other papers relating primarily to Patton's military career as a student at the U.S. Military Academy (1904-1909), member of John J. Pershing's Punitive Expedition into Mexico (1916), aide-de-camp to Pershing and later tank commander in Europe during World War I, and commander of forces ...
- Contributor: Patton, George S. (George Smith) - Patton, George S.
- Date: 1807
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with John H. Trattner
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Trattner, John H.
- Date: 2010-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Herman J. Rossi III
- Contributor: Rossi, Herman J., III - Perer Eicher
- Date: 2011-00-00
CollectionJack Kemp papers, 1924-2009 United States cabinet officer, United States representative from New York, and football player. Chiefly correspondence, memoranda, speeches, statements, writings, legislative files, subject files, appointment books, scheduling files, press releases, newsletters, printed matter, clippings, and photographs documenting Kemp's career as a professional athlete and as a public official.
- Contributor: Kemp, Jack
- Date: 1924
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with William B. Macomber Jr.
- Contributor: Unna, Warren - Ernst, Roger - Macomber, William (William Butts)
- Date: 1989-09-30
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Frederick G. (Ted) Mason Jr.
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Mason, Frederick G. (Ted), Jr.
- Date: 2000-03-02
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with W. Garth Thorburn
- Contributor: Mustard, Allan - Thorburn, W. Garth
- Date: 2006-01-16
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Lilla Moffat Levitt
- Contributor: Fenzi, Jewell - Levitt, Lilla Moffat
- Date: 1987-04-07
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Horace G. Torbert
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Torbert, Horace G. (Horace Gates)
- Date: 1988-08-31
CollectionJohn L. McCrea papers, 1898-1984 Naval officer, aide to President Franklin D. Roosevelt, and insurance executive. Correspondence, speeches, writings, subject files, and photographs relating primarily to McCrea's career as a naval officer.
- Contributor: McCrea, John L. (John Livingstone) - McCrea, John L.
- Date: 1898
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with John Leddy
- Contributor: Armstrong, Willis C. - Leddy, John Edward
- Date: 1990-01-31
CollectionRoger Welles papers, 1884-1926 Naval officer. Correspondence, journals, orders to duty, article and speech file, diary of Welles's wife, newspaper clippings, printed matter, and miscellaneous materials relating to Welles's duties as special representative for the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago, as director of naval intelligence, and as commander of the Asiatic and Atlantic Fleets and of the U.S. Naval Forces in Europe.
- Contributor: Welles, Roger
- Date: 1884
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with George Allen Morgan
- Contributor: Lowrie, Arthur L. - Morgan, George Allen
- Date: 1989-12-23
CollectionJoseph Alsop and Stewart Alsop papers, 1699-1989 Authors and journalists. Correspondence, writings, interviews, notes, subject files, office files, financial papers, family papers, clippings, printed material, and other papers relating primarily to Joseph Alsop's family and personal life; acquaintance with prominent politicians, public figures, writers, and scholars; work as a journalist; World War II experiences in China; and research and writing as an art historian. Includes material relating to Joseph and Stewart ...
- Contributor: Alsop, Joseph
- Date: 1699
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Robert J. Ryan Sr.
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Ryan, Robert J.
- Date: 1991-11-07
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Richard Funkhouser
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Funkhouser, Richard
- Date: 1988-02-02
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Rush W. Taylor, Jr.
- Contributor: Charles Stuart Kennedy - Taylor, Jr., Rush W.
- Date: 2011-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with David Nalle
- Contributor: Robins-Mowry, Dorothy - Nalle, David
- Date: 1990-04-12
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with John Wesley Jones
- Contributor: Torbert, Horace G. (Horace Gates) - Jones, John Wesley
- Date: 1988-05-11
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Wade Matthews
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Matthews, Wade
- Date: 1991-09-19
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Donald R. Norland
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Norland, Donald R. (Donald Richard)
- Date: 1992-12-15
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Richard L. Stockman
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Stockman, Richard L.
- Date: 1993-10-12
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Edward L. Killham
- Contributor: Martens, Robert J. - Killham, Edward L.
- Date: 1992-12-18
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Richard Sackett Thompson
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Thompson, Richard Sackett
- Date: 1994-02-25
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Winston Lord
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Tucker, Nancy Bernkopf - Lord, Winston
- Date: 1998-04-28
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Richard St. F. Post
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Post, Richard St. F.
- Date: 1990-02-14
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Edward H. Wilkinson
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Wilkinson, Edward H.
- Date: 2002-04-05
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Barbara Shelby Merello
- Contributor: Hoffacker, Lewis - Merello, Barbara Shelby
- Date: 2000-01-27
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with William Lenderking
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Lenderking, William
- Date: 2010-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Richard McKee
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - McKee, Richard
- Date: 2003-05-09
CollectionHenry White papers, 1812-1931 Diplomat. Correspondence, business records, conference proceedings, bulletins, memoranda, and notes relating to White’s career in the foreign service and as a member of the American Commission to Negotiate Peace.
- Contributor: White, Henry
- Date: 1812
CollectionWilliam Sowden Sims papers, Correspondence, memoranda, writings, notes, reports, military orders, biographical material, clippings, and other papers primarily documenting Sims's naval career and his work relating to naval reforms. Documents activities as an intelligence officer on the USS Charleston (Cruiser) at the China Station (1895-1896); naval attaché in Paris, Madrid, and Saint Petersburg (1896-1900); and commander of U.S. naval forces in Europe during World War I. Subjects include ...
- Contributor: Sims, William Sowden - Sims, Anne Hitchcock
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Philip W. Ireland
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Ireland, Philip Willard
- Date: 1990-11-14
CollectionWilliam W. Coblentz papers, 1883-1960 Author and physicist. Correspondence, diary, writings, bibliography, notes, notebooks, biographical material, awards, photographs, newspaper clippings, printed matter, and other material relating chiefly to Coblentz's work in the fields of infrared spectroscopy and to the application of radiometry to astronomical problems.
- Contributor: Coblentz, William W. (William Weber) - Coblentz, William W.
- Date: 1883
CollectionWallace Rankin Deuel papers, 1905-1971 Intelligence officer and journalist. Correspondence, journals, writings, lectures, transcripts of radio broadcasts, scrapbooks, and other papers relating to Deuel's career as an intelligence officer during World War II with the Office of Strategic Services, as a journalist with the Chicago Daily News and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, and as a foreign intelligence analyst with the Central Intelligence Agency.
- Contributor: Deuel, Wallace Rankin
- Date: 1905
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Edward M. Rowell
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Rowell, Edward M.
- Date: 1995-09-19
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Charles Stuart Kennedy
- Contributor: Fenzi, Jewell - Wolf, Victor, Jr. - Grove, Brandon H., Jr. - Kennedy, Charles Stuart
- Date: 1986-07-24
CollectionClara A. Whitney papers, Chiefly diaries (1873-1884; 18 volumes) kept by Whitney reflecting her life in Japan with her parents, American educators Anna L. Whitney and William C. Whitney. Subjects include Japanese social life and customs, the role of Japanese women, political atmosphere of Meiji Japan, Japanese efforts at westernization, and the Whitneys' travels through Europe and Asia. Also includes correspondence, speeches, writings, clippings, photographs, and other papers. ...
- Contributor: Whitney, Clara A. - Whitney, Anna L. (Anna Lavinia)
CollectionE.B. O'Callaghan papers, Correspondence, a draft of his History of New Netherland (1846-1848), biographical material, and other papers pertaining primarily to O'Callaghan's career as bibliographer, historian, and secretary-archivist in the New York (State) Secretary's Office. Also documents his career as an editor of the Montreal Vindicator and legislator in the Lower Canada Legislature. Subjects include New York State history, rare bibliographic Americana, editions of the Bible, and ...
- Contributor: O'callaghan, E. (Edmund Bailey)
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Carl F. Salans
- Contributor: Jackson, Richard L. - Salans, Carl F.
- Date: 1998-12-30
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Scott Behoteguy
- Contributor: Van Dyke, Stuart - Behoteguy, Scott
- Date: 1997-08-11