Collection"It's Of My Rambles..." A Journey in the Song Tradition of Ulster
Journey in the song tradition of Ulster | American Folklife Center lecture, 2008-11-06 | American Folklife Center concert, 2008-11-06 Len Graham presented a lecture titled "'It's Of My Rambles...' A Journey in the Song Tradition of Ulster" as part of the Rediscover Northern Ireland Program. Graham explored the folk song tradition of his native Ulster. His talk was interspersed with live performances of songs in English on many themes, including early classic ballads, broadside ballads, and songs of love, politics, emigration and many...
- Contributor: Graham, Len - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2008-11-06
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Anthony Quainton
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Quainton, Anthony C. E.
- Date: 1997-11-06
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialLetter from Harold Spivacke to John A. Lomax; Port Aransas, TX
- Contributor: Spivacke, Harold
- Date: 1939-03-06
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Gary S. Usrey
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Usrey, Gary S.
- Date: 2002-03-21
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Gregory L. Mattson
- Contributor: Ewing, Raymond C. - Mattson, Gregory Louis
- Date: 2000-10-23
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Ambassador William Andreas Brown
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Brown, William Andreas
- Date: 1998-11-03
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with William Howard Wriggins
- Contributor: McCusker, Paul D. - Wriggins, W. Howard (William Howard)
- Date: 1995-03-08
CollectionRediscover Northern Ireland 2008: I Am a Wee Weaver: Weaving and Singing in Northern Ireland
Weaving and singing in Northern Ireland | Songs of handloom weavers from Northern Ireland | American Folklife Center lecture, 2008-12-04 | American Folklife Center concert, 2008-12-04 Handloom weaving was dominated by men in 19th century Ireland. The Industrial Revolution changed that, enabling women to take the dominant role in the factory production of linen. In this talk, Maurice Leyden discusses the reasons for this historical shift, and the impact of this change on the traditions of singing and songwriting among weavers. To illustrate his lecture, Leyden sings songs composed by...
- Contributor: Leyden, Maurice - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2008-12-04
CollectionThe Quebe Sisters Band: Texas Fiddle & Swing
American Folklife Center concert, 2014-08-20 | The Quebe Sisters Band: Texas Fiddle & Swing | Homegrown 2014, the music of America Concert by the Quebe Sisters Band, composed of Grace, Sophia and Hulda Quebe (pronounced Kway-bee), who all sing and play the fiddle, and the Clark twins, Penny Lea (guitar and mandolin) and Katy Lou (banjo, piano and accordion). They perform a refreshing blend of Texas-style fiddling, vintage country, bluegrass and jazz and swing standards.
- Contributor: Quebe Sisters Band - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts (U.S.). Millennium Stage
- Date: 2014-08-20
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Henry Bardach
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Bardach, Henry
- Date: 1996-03-12
CollectionOld Cultures/New Contexts: Presenting the Traditional Music and Dance of Urban Immigrant Communities
Old cultures, new contexts | Presenting the traditional music and dance of urban immigrant communities | Music, dance of urban communities | Benjamin Botkin folklife lecture | American Folklife Center lecture, 2008-06-20 Ethnographer and performer Ethel Raim, co-founder and artistic director of New York's celebrated Center for Traditional Music and Dance (CTMD), discusses her five decades of work with community-based traditional artists in urban America. Beginning at a time when to most Americans "folk music" was practically synonymous with rural and Anglo-Saxon, Raim built on her own interests in Balkan music and dance to document and...
- Contributor: Raim, Ethel - Groce, Nancy - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2008-06-20
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Walter B. Smith II
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Smith, Walter , II
- Date: 1993-05-17
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Albert L. Seligmann
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Seligmann, Albert Louis
- Date: 2000-01-27
CollectionDocumenting the Freedom Struggle in Southwest Georgia
Freedom struggle in Southwest Georgia | Many paths to freedom: looking back, looking ahead at the long civil rights movement | American Folklife Center lecture, 2014-02-27 Glen Pearcy and David Cline discuss Pearcy's documentary work with the Southwest Georgia Project, which documented local people at work and in their homes during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s.
- Contributor: Pearcy, Glen - Cline, David P. - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Blacks in Government (U.S.). Library of Congress Chapter
- Date: 2014-02-27
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Douglas MacArthur II
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Macarthur, Douglas
- Date: 1986-12-15
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialLetter to William H. Groesbuck from Henry Clay, February 27, 1851.
- Contributor: Clay, Henry
- Date: 1851-02-27
View 3 Images
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Patricia Quinn Barbis
- Contributor: Wong, Monique - Barbis, Patricia Quinn
- Date: 1992-12-01
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Joseph C. Walsh
- Contributor: Schmidt, G. Lewis - Walsh, Joseph C.
- Date: 1989-04-25
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Ambassador James H. Michel
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Stern, Thomas - Michel, James H.
- Date: 2005-10-21
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Thomas B. Reston
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Reston, Thomas
- Date: 2010-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with James L. Tull
- Contributor: Ewing, Raymond C. - Tull, James L.
- Date: 2001-05-31
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Marshall Green
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Martens, Robert J. - Green, Marshall
- Date: 1995-03-17
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with David G. Nes
- Contributor: Mak, Dayton S. - Gittinger, Ted - Nes, David G.
- Date: 1982-11-10
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with David Blakemore
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Blakemore, David
- Date: 1997-11-07