CollectionTranslating Africa in Global Contexts Although African myths and folktales have long been trivialized as childish, translators today are revealing new insights, which show that Africa led the world in the invention of the most sophisticated literary styles. Critics now particularly value the figurality, or use of metaphor, which dominates the African literary imagination. The ethics and politics of translating African oral literature, or folklore, are a microcosm of ...
- Contributor: Haring, Lee - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2010-09-22
CollectionThe Two Worlds of the Pennsylvania Dutch The Pennsylvania Dutch culture, which is now over three centuries old and still evolving, is an American hybrid creation put together from Continental Europe, British Isles, and American building blocks in Southeastern Pennsylvania. While this culture is a unit linguistically, and in most other ways, it is divided down the middle by religion. The "two worlds" are those of the "Plain Dutch"--Amish, Mennonites, and ...
- Contributor: Yoder, Don
- Date: 2011-05-05
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with John Propst Blane
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Blane, John Propst
- Date: 1990-08-08
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Earl Wilson
- Contributor: Schmidt, G. Lewis - Wilson, Earl
- Date: 1988-10-14
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Joseph R. McGhee
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - McGhee, Joseph R.
- Date: 1997-08-21
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Jane Byington
- Contributor: Sullivan, Margaret - Byington, Jane
- Date: 2010-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialHoward University Law School, Washington, D.C., 1890-1894
- Date: 1890-09-29
View 33 Results
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Richard E. Undeland
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Undeland, Richard E.
- Date: 1994-07-29
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Robert B. Petersen
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Petersen, Robert
- Date: 2010-00-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialAnne Fitzhugh Miller's Address Before Senate Committee
- Date: 1906-02-00
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Frank Pavich
- Contributor: North, William Haven - Pavich, Frank
- Date: 1998-03-26
CollectionWork & Transformation: Panels 1, 2 & Keynote This symposium featured presentations by the 2010 recipients of the American Folklife Center's Archie Green Fellowships on their research and documentation of the culture and traditions of American workers in New York, Idaho, and Louisiana. Panels also included representatives of community-based documentation projects supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services concerning the role of America's libraries and museums as vibrant centers for ...
- Contributor: Barr, Christina L. - Boone, Mary L. - Bulger, Peggy A. - Chute, Mary L. - Cohn, D'vera - Correa, Jennifer - D'abate, Richard - Deloach, Lynda - Dewhurst, C. Kurt - Greenhouse, Steven ... Barr, Christina L. - Boone, Mary L. - Bulger, Peggy A. - Chute, Mary L. - Cohn, D'vera - Correa, Jennifer - D'abate, Richard - Deloach, Lynda - Dewhurst, C. Kurt - Greenhouse, Steven - Groen, Jeffrey A. - Iyengar, Sunil - Loughran, Maureen - McCarl, Robert - Popovich, Mark G. - Ray, Joyce M. - Rogers, Nancy E. - Rothstein, Donna S. (Donna Suzann) - Semmel, Marsha L. - Spitzer, Nicholas R. - Tabb, Derrick - Taft, Michael - Taylor, David Alan - Winick, Stephen D. - Wunder, Steve R. - Zeitlin, Steven J. - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Institute of Museum and Library Services (U.S.) - Archie Green Fund for Labor Culture & History
- Date: 2010-12-06
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Parker D. Wyman
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Dunnigan, Thomas J. - Wyman, Parker D.
- Date: 1989-03-13
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialLetter from Harold Spivacke to John A. Lomax; Port Aransas, TX
- Contributor: Spivacke, Harold
- Date: 1939-01-30
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Bradshaw Langmaid
- Contributor: North, William Haven - Langmaid, Bradshaw
- Date: 1998-07-14
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Keith Earl Adamson
- Contributor: Wilson, Earl - Adamson, Keith Earl
- Date: 1988-01-12
CollectionEdward Everett Hayden family papers, 1817-1963 Naval officer and scientist. Correspondence, diaries, journals, notebooks, financial material, photographs, and other papers pertaining to Hayden's naval and scientific careers and to his family.
- Contributor: Hayden, Edward Everett
- Date: 1817
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Christopher H. Phillips
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Phillips, Christopher H.
- Date: 1993-05-12
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with Joseph John Jova
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Jova, Joseph John
- Date: 1991-10-10
CollectionSimons family papers, Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available Correspondence, diaries and diary notes (1918-1922), receipts, subject files, programs, printed matter, and clippings comprising the papers (1902-1940) of William H. Simons. The papers document Simons's career as secretary of the international committee of the YMCA (Young Men's Christian Association) in Burma, East Africa, and India and as a Baptist missionary teacher in Nigeria. Topics include racial and social conditions in Durban, South Africa; ...
- Contributor: Curtis, Joseph O. - Garrett, Naomi Mills - Simons, Alfred E. - Simons, William H.
Manuscript/Mixed MaterialInterview with William B. Jones
- Contributor: Kennedy, Charles Stuart - Jones, William
- Date: 1989-02-14
CollectionRich Remsberg: Hard Luck Blues: Roots Music from the Great Depression Showcasing American music and music making during the Great Depression, "Hard Luck Blues" presents more than 200 photographs created by the New Deal's Farm Security Administration photography program. With an appreciation for the amateur and the local, FSA photographers depicted a range of musicians sharing the regular music of everyday life, from informal songs in migrant work camps, farmers' homes, barn dances, and on ...
- Contributor: Remsberg, Rich - Library of Congress. Center for the Book - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2010-06-02
CollectionTraditional Classical Persian Music A concert of traditional classical Persian music by Nader Majd & Farshid Mahjour.
- Contributor: Majd, Nader - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Library of Congress. Music Division
- Date: 2014-04-16