The Library of Congress
>> Especially for
Librarians and Archivists >> Standards
HOME >> MARC Records, Systems and Tools
This category contains systems that collect, organize and
manage MARC 21 records. For example, integrated library systems
and stand-alone information retrieval applications are included
in this category.
For more information about these systems, please see their
- ABCD is a free and open source software for libraries. It is an ILS software with the classical components:
cataloging, loan, patron administration, statistics, journal subscription management, OPAC. The user can
also build other databases in it and thus use it as a database software. Different formats are provide,
among which MARC21, and now also MARC21 with RDA integrated. Standard languages are English, French,
Spanish and Portuguese, although other interfaces have been developed and are integrated in the most
recent versions, e.g. Amharic (i.e. the official language of Ethiopia). Users can be found in libraries
all over the world, especially in developing countries in Africa, Latin-America and Asia.
(At this moment RDA is only implemented in English and Spanish.)
ABCD is provided in a Windows and a Linux version.
- AbsysNET is an Integrated Library System (ILS) that has been
implemented in Spain, Portugal, Latin America, France and the
Caribbean. It is a leader in the Spanish-language market, and is
used in more than 3000 libraries, particularly public and university
AbsysNET is a full web multi-platform application with all the
usual modules of a modern ILS, including: cataloguing, acquisitions,
serials, management, circulation, OPAC, etc. It also has Web 2.0
capabilities such as social tagging, feedback and ratings from
users or links to social sites and services such as Facebook,
AbsysNET's data model and functionalities are based on international
standards including MARC21, METS, OAI and Z39.50.
Raimundo Fernandez Villaverde, 28
Voice: +34 914560360
Fax: +34 91 533 0958
- Accessit Library
- Accessit is a library management system designed to support an entire school or organization, streamlining workflows to help build a connected community of learners. For librarians, it’s a powerful, yet easy-to-use solution that automates day-to-day tasks and puts the library at the heart of the learning community. For teachers, it’s a flexible classroom tool that supports them and their students on the learning journey. For students, it’s a system designed to engage and motivate and support digital literacy
Accessit Library provides highly streamlined Z39.50 and MARC 21 support to effortlessly catalog approximately 100 books in a minute. It also provides editable substitution rules for pre and post processing of MARC 21 bibliographic data; another massive time saver.
As well as seamlessly streaming MARC 21 data into a catalog as ISBNs are scanned, librarians can also add records manually via a form-based view. This manually created bibliographic record can then be converted to MARC if preferred. Alternatively, for those that prefer to edit MARC records directly, Accessit Library provides a MARC Editor option as well. Librarians can also search libraries via Z39.50.
Access-it Software INC
363 Nth Sam Houston Pkwy E, Ste 1100
Voice: 1 800 924 1190
AGent MARCit® (https://www-set1.auto-graphics.com/)
- AGent MARCit® is a user-contributed MARC resource that enables public
libraries to share over 20 million bibliographic records. AGent MARCit® utilizes
web-based AGent® technology to provide catalogers with a single point of access
to Library of Congress databases and other user-contributed cataloging resources in
a federated search environment. A variety of cataloging tasks taskes can be performed,
with all changes reflected in real-time. AGent MARCit® includes an advanced MARC
record editor, a variety of administrative tools, and more to streamline workflow .
3201 Temple Avenue,
800.776.6939 (toll-free) or 909.595.7004
- The Aleph integrated library system provides academic,
research, and national libraries with the tools and workflow
support they need. Customizable components are tailored to
accommodate the requirements of institutions of all types and
sizes, from single-branch libraries to the largest of consortia
and national libraries. User-friendly workflows and intuitive
graphical interfaces increase staff efficiency and enhance the
patron experience. Growth and expansion features enable libraries
and consortia to continually re-envision and recreate their
working environments. Built on an Oracle® database, Aleph
runs on a range of operating systems. Employing system-wide XML
technology, Aleph offers third-party integration through an XML
gateway. Full Unicode support provides multidirectional and
multiscript text capabilities. Users can interface with the
system in their preferred language, and libraries can create new
Ex Libris - USA
1350 E Touhy Avenue, Suite 200 E
Voice: 800.762.6300; 847.296.2200
- Follett Software Company continues to support current customers of
the Athena library automation system, which combines circulation,
catalog searching (OPAC), cataloging, and inventory function.
The system is no longer available to new customers. To learn more
about our new state-of-the-art Destiny Library Manager solution,
contact your Follett Software Company sales representative.
Athena provides a solid foundation of easy searching, fast cataloging, and
streamlined circulation and inventory:
- Launch Athena Multi-user several times on one workstation,
then work from several separate, resizable windows
- Easily identify and notify patrons with items on hold
- Create bibliographies by simply scanning barcodes
- Use a SLIP printer to print patron circulation summaries and fine receipts
- Rank search results by relevance and identify material types in search results with customizable icons
- Search on full subjects from the Advanced Search or Visual Search screens
- Search other Z39.50 libraries with Athena zMARC - fully integrated Z39.50 search interface
- Capture pictures from the Internet or any other source to create your own Visual Search buttons
- Store patron email addresses
Follett Software Company
1391 Corporate Drive
800.533.5430 or 815.578.7132
800.807.3623 or 815.344.8774
- BIBLIObase is a cataloging system that allows one to generate
appropriate and complete MARC 21 bibliographic records. It
includes many different editing and cataloging tools and allows
users to import and export MARC records in the ISO 2709 format
and in one internal format (for major compatibility).
See description under MARC Specialized Tools
- Brodart is a full-service library company offering
state-of-the-art online tools, shelf-ready materials complete
with cataloging and processing, bibliographic services, and
consulting exclusively to libraries. Customers can select from
more than four million English-language titles, Spanish-language
materials, plus audio and video products.
- CARL.X provides:
Medium to large public libraries and consortia can benefit from the sophisticated
features of CARL.X on an affordable UNIX platform.
- New dimensions of finding, learning, and self-service
- Google-like search engine options with fast graphical presentation of search results
- Artificial intelligence capabilities
The Library Corporation
- Cassidy Cataloguing Services, Inc.
- Cassidy Cataloguing Services, Inc. offers full MARC21
cataloging for libraries and a web-hosted OPAC.
See description under MARC Record Services ---
- Catalis -
Free / Open Source (MIT License)
- Catalis is a web application that allows creating, importing
and editing AACR2/MARC 21 bibliographic records. The current
version needs Internet Explorer 6 as the client, but it may be
installed on both Windows and Linux servers. Catalis uses
CDS/ISIS databases, through Bireme's WWWISIS. Catalis is
distributed free under the MIT
license. There is an online demo on the website. Please note
that the Catalis website, documentation and user interface are in
- BiblioMondo's Concerto ILS suite has been built to meet the
demands of medium to large-sized libraries and library consortia
in Europe, specifically the English, Dutch, German and Swiss
markets, Concerto™'s multi-tier architecture, on-the-fly
multilingual interface, seamless cross-module workflow and rapid
performance has made it the perfect solution for high volume
multi-branch libraries and consortia. Boasting one of the fastest
systems in the industry, Concerto™'s feature rich
circulation module enables real-time, high volume data processing
over the lowest bandwidth lines. The latest release of
Concerto™, Version 2.0, delivers an impressive list of new
features and improved functionality across the board, including
comprehensive ergonomic enhancements in acquisitions, enhanced
EDI support and many other enhancements.
4000, St-Ambroise, Suite 389
- Concourse offers libraries a state-of-the-art automation
system that is full featured, yet easy to administer. Standard
Concourse functionality includes OPAC, circulation, cataloging,
patron management, collection development, and a complete suite
of configurable reports. Optional features include remote
circulation, Z39.50 hosting, an authority module, web hosting,
and SIF interface. Concourse supports the MARC 21 formats for
bibliographic, authority, holdings and classification data.
Services offered by Book Systems also include a full-service
conversions department, as well as dedicated customer support and
training for all of its products.
Book Systems, Inc.
4901 University Square, Suite 3
800.219.6571 (US); 256.533-9746 (International)
800.230.4183 (US); 256.536.1175 (International)
- Cuadra Associates
- Cuadra offers a comprehensive suite of customizable,
task-oriented knowledge management solutions.
- Collections Management: for managing the full range of
archive, museum, photographic, and image collections
- Library Automation: for managing both traditional and
electronic library collections
- Knowledge Management: for managing the “corporate
memory“—the vital information being created and
acquired by organizations
- Media Management: for managing all kinds of visual
collections, including those used in presentations
- Records Management: for managing both electronic and paper
- Vocabulary Control: for creating and maintaining thesauri
to facilitate the indexing and retrieval of data
Cuadra Associates, Inc.
3415 S. Sepulveda Blvd., Suite 210
- CyberTools for Libraries
- CyberTools for Libraries expands the traditional ILS model to provide integrated,
seamless access to digital, online, and print resources in a single, low cost
professional search portal.
- Online catalog with A to Z lists, electronic resources management, link resolver, federated searching, plus traditional ILS features of cataloging, authority management, integrated serials management with easy predictive check-in, circulation, patron management, reporting, customizable online catalog design, reserves, and much more.
- No need to provide separate links to collections of online resources on your website.
- Resources provided by various publishers, vendors, and aggregators can be placed into one all-encompassing list of titles and subjects with easy-build A to Z lists.
- A to Z lists can target all your resources: online books, journals, reference, A/V collections, or special topic / class lists you create.
- Any size of professional special (corporate, law, health sciences) library and academic collection.
- Easy to create shared catalogs.
- Migration and start-up supported with interactive web-based training, quick-tours, and personalized support.
CyberTools for Libraries
75 Arlington Street, Suite 500
- EOS.Web® enables librarians and knowledge services staff
to work from anywhere in the world while increasing operation
efficiencies, improving service to end-users, and reducing costs.
The scalable, customizable design of EOS.Web meets the needs of
small to large multi-site library or knowledge management
resource centers, offering basic modules such as Cataloging (with
an easy-to-use MARC Editor), Serials, Circulation, and
Acquisitions, as well as many advanced modules such as
KnowledgeBuilder, Federated Searching, and Reference Tracking.
EOS.Web can be installed as a local, in-house, Web-based library
automation solution running on a local network server, or hosted
at the EOS Global Data Center via the popular EOS e-Library
Service®. Our Software as a Service (SaaS) solution provides
for global information access, significant cost reductions, and
simplified operations. EOS International® is a proven library
automation and knowledge management market leader. EOS offers
award-winning, multi-lingual library automation software, content
and knowledge management solutions - built by librarians for
librarians - to corporate, legal, medical and government special
libraries of all sizes for 28 years.
EOS International Headquarters
2292 Faraday Avenue
- Evergreen -
Free / Open Source (GNU GPL)
- Evergreen is an open-source Integrated Library System (ILS),
developed and maintained by the Georgia Public Library
Service for use by the Georgia
Library PINES Program, a consortium of 252 public
libraries. Evergreen is a library automation system intended and
designed for large library consortia and is:
Evergreen is open source software, freely licensed under the
- Stable, even under extreme load.
- Robust, capable of handling a high volume of transactions and
- Flexible, to accomodate the varied needs of a large
- Secure, to protect patrons' privacy and data.
- User-friendly, to facilitate patron and staff use of the
- eZcat/eZcat Pro
- Book Systems' eZcat and eZcat Pro products offer librarians a
complete suite of Z39.50 compliant utilities for managing MARC 21
See description under MARC Specialized Tools---eZcat/eZcat Pro
- Follett Software Company
- Follett Software Company is a division of Follett Corporation,
known initially for building school libraries beginning in 1874.
Today, Follett’s experience and expertise in library automation and materials serves
as the launching pad for an expanding portfolio, which includes both information
and resource management tools and solutions.
Follett Corporation now serves more than 100,000 schools and universities throughout
the United States and 165 countries worldwide. Follett Software’s legacy
of innovation includes multiple awards, and a leading role in the Schools
Interoperability Framework (SIF) initiative.
Follett Software Company
1391 Corporate Drive
- GIS Information Systems, Inc.
- Please see Polaris
- Impact/ONLINE CAT
- Impact/ONLINE CAT is a Windows-based cataloging system which
provides users with the ability to search multiple databases of
MARC 21 bibliographic, authority and community information
records. It also supports MARC record editing and validation.
Impact/ONLINE CAT can be used with both Auto-Graphics' Impact
family of products, or as a separate product for use with other
systems. See description under MARC Specialized
- Inmagic's information management, library and social knowledge network solutions
enable libraries to manage and gain insight from large and growing volumes of
vetted and social information through powerful search and discovery
capabilities, requiring minimal information technology (IT) support.
Inmagic products are designed to handle many disparate types of
structured and unstructured content, including documents, digital
images, external Websites and social information. Products also
manage more traditional and physical information assets such as books,
serials and other physical artifacts. Delivered on an open, scalable
and secure platform, our applications can handle both current and
future knowledge management objectives.
200 Unicorn Park Drive, Fourth Floor
- Innovative Interfaces, Inc.
- Innovative Interfaces dedicates its energies to meeting the needs
of libraries and the challenges of library automation. The company has
fulfilled this mission with first-rate services and products such as
the Millennium integrated library system, the INN-Reach direct consortia
borrowing solution, Electronic Resource Management, and the Encore
discovery services platform. Today, thousands of libraries of all
types in over 40 countries rely on Innovative's products, services,
and support. The company is located in Emeryville, California,
with offices in Australia, Canada, France, Hong Kong, Korea,
Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, and the United Kingdom.
Innovative Interfaces, Inc.
5850 Shellmound Way
- Insignia Library System
- Insignia Software specializes in developing state of the art Education software for K-12.
Insignia products are based on the latest technologies from Microsoft and are developed in .net
with Microsoft SQL 2005 as the backend database.
All features of insignia products are developed in-house.
Insignia products are fully integrated with other Insignia products and products
that are based on open standards. Insignia Software products are scalable
to meet the needs of any number of schools or libraries as standalone or as a consortium.
Insignia Library System is a high-end scaleable system which can be installed for a
single site or a consortium of libraries. It is MARC 21, SIF, EDI, LDAP, NCIP compliant
and has integrated Z39.50 client and Z39.50 Server.
In addition to that it comes with acquisition system, web portal, serial module,
textbook tracking and media booking system.
Suite 512 10080 Jasper Ave
IsisMARC - Free / Open Source (GNU GPL)
- ISISMarc is basically a data entry interface for CDS/ISIS databases
that work on Windows and it is meant to replace the standard Winisis
data entry window with a more powerful environment. The software was
developed in co-operation with the Library of Congress (USA) and the
SIU Program of the Ministry of Education of Argentina.
As its name implies ISISMarc is particularly adapted for handling
MARC-like formats, namely MARC21, UNIMARC, etc. However it can be
used with any other CDS/ISIS database very easily.
The main features of the ISISMarc software are:
IsisMarc is distributed under the open-source General Public
- Multi-user capable (for local area networks)
- has independent and multi-lingual worksheets definition
- allows single subfields units data entry, each one with a complete description
- allows multiple subfields data entry
- totally customisable
- handling of authority files as external data bases
- field or even subfield level user-help links
- supports record validation through CDS/ISIS format
- supports cross-data base copy/paste of records
- supports Begin and End edition automated operations
- built-in characters editing capabilities (uppercase to lowercase, etc)
and give access to Windows’ character map
- supports multiple users’ profiles
- built-in Z39.50 client
- global view of the record (through CDS/ISIS formats)
UNESCO, Communication and Information Sector
1, rue Miollis
Paris Cedex 15
- Janium is a fully integrated software system to manage
library or metadata collections and has been created over a
three-tier architecture to reduce costs and management time. Its
bibliographic control module includes features to create or
import authority, bibliographic, holdings and community
information MARC 21 records. Libraries may also create new
information exchange formats in which to record their materials.
Other Janium modules include Circulation, Serials Control,
Acquisitions, Z39.50 server (and client) and Online Public Access
Janium Chile Ltda.
Soluciones Integrales para Centroamérica S.A.
+50 6-843 3041
Janium Technology, S.A. de C.V.
- Koha - Free / Open Source (GNU GPL)
- Koha is the first free software library automation package. In use
worldwide, its development is steered by a growing community of users
collaborating to achieve their technology goals. Koha’s feature set
continues to evolve and expand to meet the needs of its user base.
- Full-featured ILS. In use worldwide in libraries of all sizes, Koha is a
true enterprise-class ILS with comprehensive functionality including
basic or advanced options. Koha includes modules for circulation,
cataloging, acquisitions, serials, reserves, patron management, branch
relationships, and more.
- Full Text Searching. Koha uses an RDBMS coupled with an external search
engine to provide powerful searching that is truly scalable.
- Library Standards Compliant. Koha is built using library standards and
protocols that ensure interoperability between Koha and other systems and
technologies, while supporting existing workflows and tools.
- Web-based Interfaces. Koha’s OPAC, circ, management and
self-checkout interfaces are all based on standards-compliant World Wide
truly platform-independent solution.
- Free Software / Open Source. Koha is distributed under the Free Software
General Public License (GPL), version 2 or later.
- No Vendor Lock-in. It is an important part of the free software promise
that there is no vendor lock-in: libraries are free to install and use
Koha themselves if they have the in-house expertise or to purchase support
or development services from the best available sources. or development services from the best available sources. Libraries should be free to change their support company
and export their data at any time; make sure your support company allows this.
Contact details for both free and paid support:
- Liberty Automated Library
- Integrated, fully featured library automation system that
provides a complete and ultimately easy to use package at a price
that is far below that of the competition. Searching,
Cataloguing, Circulation, Reporting and many more features are
included, as well as full label printing support that includes
customized barcoding. It also supports the MARC 21 bibliographic
format. Liberty Adapts to your library's setup, and can be
implemented in record time
- LibLime - Open Source
- LibLime's mission is to make open-source software accessible
to libraries. To that end, LibLime develops and markets
affordable and customizable open-source library technology
solutions, such as Koha ILS (which
LibLime also distributes) and provides full vendor services on
these software products including: migration assistance,
training, and sofware maintenance, support and development.
LibLime also helps libraries communicate and pool resources
by advocating alternative models of knowledge sharing
(inter-system and intra-system) that utilize core Internet
technologies such as the World Wide Web, electronic databases,
blogs, forums, wikis, IRC/IM, and RSS.
4016 Townsfair Way, Suite 220
- Library.Solution is the integrated automation solution of today -- and tomorrow.
Thousands of libraries worldwide choose Library.Solution for:
Library.Solution includes LS2 Circ, which allows you to perform basic circulation
functions. Now you can access circulation from any computer with an Internet
connection. In addition to mobility of use, LS2 Circ includes self-checkout functions.
- Customized reports
- Automatic backups
- Automated authority control functions
- Streamlined technical services
- Minimal system administration
The Library Corporation
With a full suite of library automation modules, you can manage one or
more libraries using any standard Web browser. Modules include basic and advanced
searching, cataloging, circulation, patron management, inventory, reports, permissions
and settings. Multiple libraries can be combined into a dynamic union catalog to
allow multi-library searching and sharing of resources. A special program called
LibraryWorld OPAC, Online Patron Access Catalog, is designed to allow library users
easy access to the collection either directly or through a link on an organization's Web site.
Each module contains powerful functions, such as importing, exporting, and global change.
Although easy to learn and use, this is a serious standards based library system designed
to handle small to surprisingly large collections.
- LibriVision is a Z39.50 compliant, web-based software. It can
be used as either an advanced tool for search and retrieval from
a number of databases or catalogs as determined by the user, or
as a web OPAC, with extended borrower services. LibriVision is a
Web Gateway, designed to cater for easy and efficient access to
multiple information channels. It provides access to non-web
based databases remotely. LibriVision may be used to search and
retrieve MARC 21 records from a database, which can be displayed
in several customizable formats. It supports the following MARC
21 formats: bibliographic, authority, and holdings. Likewise, it
also allows for the use of non-Roman scripts. Being Z39.50/ISO
23950 compliant, LibriVision supports search and present
functionality, the scan function, and history of result sets. To
date, LibriVision is being used at the National Library of
Australia, where it is used to update, in realtime, the National
Bibliography by some 600 remote libraries. In Australia,
LibriVision is reffered to as “Kinetica Web”.
- MARC Report
- MARC Report validates MARC 21 records according to the latest
LC and OCLC standards. It is available for licensing as a
'plug-in' by vendors who choose to outsource the validation
components of their integrated library systems. It is also
available as a stand alone product.
See description under MARC Specialized Tools---MARC Report
- MiLAS Library Automation System
- MiLAS is a fully web-based integrated library system first introduced in
2003. It was developed with PhP-Java over a PostGreSQL database and it runs on a
Linux (Debian distro) server so that end users do not need to install any client-side
programs (the whole system runs in the browser.)
The cataloging module supports full MARC21 standards with dynamic MARC field
definitions that allow users to modify the underlying MARC structure
as needed. There are also templates to facilitate data entry.
The system administrator can modify users' acess levels and receive
detailed log reports on system usage. The system admin can also modify
different system parameters.
Cataloging, OPAC, Circulation, User Management and Reports/Statistics
are the standard modules. Z39.50, SIP2 and other additional features can be
installed upon request.
MiLAS is multilingual and new languages can be
added to the main system by translating the language definition tables.
Non-Roman script support is included.
The system is able to handle more than one library on
a single server, either seperately or as a combined library
cluster. This makes MiLAS suitable for institutions
with branch libraries that want to handle all libraries from a central
location. For example, the
University of Ankara has more than 30 different faculty libraries
collected as a cluster. The Ministry of Culture has more than
1200 public libraries and 400 libraries clustered in a triple
server system serving more than 6,000,000 records to more than 1,000
librarians and over 5,000 daily public users.
Uskup Cd. 8/A6 Cankaya
- Minaret is a flexible software package for managing diverse
collections in archives, libraries, and museums. With the ability
to manage hundreds of thousands of objects, Minaret is very easy
to use due to its large variety of "fill in the blank" screens
for different types of collections. Likewise, it validates field
data using authority lists that can be either internally created
or imported from other databases. Minaret also allows users to
browse any index in a database using its index browser and
includes built-in imaging support that allows users to link
images to database records. It supports the MARC 21
bibliographic, authority and classification formats and runs
under Microsoft Windows 3.1 or higher. Please note that Minaret does not run
properly under Windows XP.
40 W. 15th St., Suite 1B
- NOTEbookS is a full-featured LOTUS NOTES based library
automation system. It not only supports the MARC 21
bibliographic, authority, holdings, classification and community
information formats, but also Z39.50 technology. NOTEbookS allows
the integration of cataloging, research, serials management and
acquisitions into a LOTUS NOTES information infrastructure.
- 102 NovaDoc
- 102 NovaDoc is document management software that is based on
MARC and Dublin Code standards. It supports the complete
management of its documentation center, applying the latest
standards in force. In this way, it acts as innovative software
to help the center evolve into document management technologies.
It supports all MARC 21 formats and also Z39.50 technologies.
102 Novadoc, s.l.
Polígono Industrial Cabezo Beaza - C/Berlín, edificio CEEIC, Oficina 1.1
- OCLC, Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
- OCLC offers cataloging services and tools for libraries using
the MARC 21 bibliographic and authority formats. OCLC also
provides off-site cataloging services so that libraries can focus
on other priority tasks. Libraries using OCLC have access to
WorldCat (the OCLC Online Union Catalog), the world's largest
bibliographic database containing more than 49 million cataloging
records. Catalogers find the record they need up to 99 percent of
the time when searching WorldCat. OCLC offers a multitude of
flexible options, including copy cataloging, original record
creation, interactive and batch access, languages including
Arabic, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and Korean, all materials
formats, authority control, database preparation, technical
processing and retrospective conversion.
6565 Kilgour Place
614.764.6000; 800.848.5878 (USA and Canada only)
- Ovid Technologies
- Ovid Technologies is an internationally recognized leader of electronic medical,
scientific, and academic research information solutions. By providing a
customizable suite of content, tools and services, Ovid supports the diverse
research needs of its 13 million users worldwide.
- Content: Get access to thousands of the world's most influential journals, texts, and databases.
- Tools: From searching and navigation to results, full-text, and personalization - Ovid offers a full suite
of online and local state-of-the-art user tools.
- Services: Choose from a variety of training and customization services.
Ovid Global Headquarters
333 Seventh Avenue, 20th Floor
646.674.6300; 800.950.2035 (Toll Free in US)
- Easy to implement and administer, Polaris ILS coordinates, automates and
seamlessly integrates cataloging, circulation, acquisitions, serials control, PAC
functions, and many third-party partners.
- Installed in over 1,000 libraries across the country
- Over 30 years of continuous ownership
- Constant incorporation of leading technology
- Dedicated to a single ILS platform
- Data migration is quick and efficient
- Leading diagnostic program built in
- Powerful, built-in reporting tool
- Extranet features tools for virtually any position in the library
- Robust customer extranet
- Timely upgrades based on input from customers and in-house experts
Innovative Interfaces Inc
5850 Shellmound Way
- The PortFolio™ ILS suite has been developed to provide a
comprehensive automation solution for mid- to large-sized libraries in
North America and France. The system's highly flexible and configurable
web-based design, intelligent workflow, rich functionality and rapid
real-time data exchange across all modules are some of the hallmarks of
this world-renowned library software. Version 6, the latest
evolution in the PortFolio™ line, delivers a host of new features
and functionalities, along with an entirely re-designed and re-architected
serials control module that is widely considered one of the very best
in the industry.
4000, St-Ambroise, Suite 389
Voice: 514.282.7073; 800.529.3310
- Sirsi Corporation
- Please see the Unicorn
Library Management System
- SIRS Mandarin M3 Library Automation System
- The SIRS Mandarin M3 Library Automation System provides the
power and flexibility of a large full-service automation
installation at the price of a PC system. M3 includes a
specially-constructed full MARC record search engine, MARC record
database and integrated MARC editor, 32-bit client/server
architecture, full Windows functionality, advanced cataloging and
circulation features and a reports editor. It supports the MARC
21 bibliographic, authority, holdings and community information
formats. Add-on modules include Z39.50 (level 3) Server &
Client modules, a Web Gateway for Students and Adults and a Web
Gateway for children that uses a graphical interface specially
designed for young library users. Other add-on modules for the
SIRS Mandarin M3 Library Automation System include serials and
acquisitions modules and a Mac OPAC. M3 also provides training,
program updates, retrospective conversion service and superior
technical support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Mandarin Library Automation, Inc.
P.O. Box 272308
800.426.7477; 561.995.4010 Local
- Softlink has been exclusively dedicated to the development and support of
advanced library and information management solutions for 25 years.
We believe in using the latest technology to provide easy-to-use yet
functionally advanced tools to support the needs of a wide range of
information specialists, educators, and information seekers.
Built with more than two decades of industry focus and experience,
Softlink solutions are proven with time to increase the efficiency of
library staff and to enhance the value of the library to their users,
organisation, community, and schools across the globe.
Softlink’s dedication to excellence has been recognised by over 10,000 customers worldwide.
Significant and ongoing commitments to product research and development,
library industry research, and customer feedback ensure Softlink solutions
continue to meet the needs of the most demanding library.
Softlink solutions are enhanced by a range of services that are
provided by a team of qualified and experienced Library and IT staff.
A philosophy of librarian-driven software design, empowered with
leading technology meets the demands of library & IT staff and the needs
of library users. Softlink customers, therefore, are kept at the leading
edge of library and IT industry developments and at the forefront of
Softlink is currently working with more than 10,000 libraries across 108 nations
and all library sectors. A growing international Softlink client base is supported
by a strong global network of over 30 offices and agents.
720 Third Avenue, Suite 2220
- Surpass SL
- If your library has fewer than 5,000 volumes, Surpass SL is for you!
If you need to provide access to your catalog via the Internet, then Surpass
Web SL can meet your need. Surpass SL and Surpass Web SL are ideal for small libraries such as:
Each Surpass SL bundle includes all the software you need to get
your small library automated, including a full-featured searchable
patron catalog. Our SL bundles also include one year of
free technical support to help you get up and running.
Just add an optional barcode scanner and you're ready to go.
- Churches and synagogues
- Small private, parochial, and charter schools
- Small corporate libraries and resource centers
- Private collections
517 Oothcalooga Street, Suite C
877.625.2657 (toll-free in U.S.); 706.625.5399
- TeraText Database System
- The TeraText Database System (DBS) is a Z39.50 compliant full
text database with integrated search capabilities. It supports a
number of data formats including SGML, XML, RTF, MARC, and binary
images. MARC 21 is handled as a native field type and an
extensive set of functions are available for manipulating MARC
data. The TeraText DBS is fully compliant with the Z39.50standard
for distributed search and retrieval, enabling exceptional
scalability and performance for handling large text collections.
Search features include fuzzy matching, proximity queries at the
word, sentence, and paragraph levels, boolean operators, ranking,
sorting, field-based queries, wildcards (truncation) and saving
of result sets. Other product features include data compression,
full Unicode support, API's in C, Java, and Ace (TeraText's own
object-oriented scripting language), access control (field-level,
record-level), and a number of administrative tools. Several
platforms are supported, including Windows, Solaris, and
1997 Annapolis Exchange Pkwy, Suite 200
410.266.0993 Main; 866.839.8898 Toll-Free
Unicorn Library Management System
- SirsiDynix Unicorn® Library Management System provides an open, versatile,
scalable solution for managing all technical and public services within the library
– enabling your institution to be more productive while providing your users
with the highest quality of service. Unicorn’s n-Tier client/server architecture
ensures the flexibility, scalability, and modularity needed for SirsiDynix to
expand, evolve, and update the system to keep it fresh and effective and to
meet the needs of all types and sizes of libraries
- Flexible, scalable, and versatile
client/server architecture that meets
current library needs and evolves
for the future
- Relational database management
system (RDBMS) technology at the
heart of Unicorn offers the full power
of today’s leading RDBMS solutions
- Based on industry standards to
provide compatibility with other
technologies and systems
- Application programming inter-
faces (APIs) to all modules provide
more and deeper access to the
system, resulting in greater ability to
customize Unicorn to meet unique
- Comprehensive ILS functionality
for all aspects of library management
– from Circulation, Cataloging,
Serials, and Acquisitions to Outreach,
Electronic Resource Management,
advanced user portals, and more
- Developed to run on a variety of
server platforms, so the library is
able to choose the platform best
suited for its environment
400 West Dynix Drive
- Successfully implemented and adopted at hundreds of customer sites,
Voyager® is the integrated library solution that many of the world’s
leading libraries have chosen to serve as the backbone of their service
systems. The intuitive graphical interface provided by Voyager makes the
system easy to learn and use; it also helps increase operator efficiency by
streamlining—or automating—the many routine activities necessary
to manage the library’s collections and services. Standards-based and built
on open systems technology, Voyager interoperates with existing library
systems and scales to accommodate future needs. The sophisticated technology
underlying Voyager makes it an excellent choice for both functional and
- Standards-based and built on open technology—Voyager integrates and interoperates
smoothly with existing library systems as well as with new technologies.
- A stable long-term investment—Core technologies, standards, and language support
have been carefully chosen to ensure that Voyager meets the ever-evolving needs of libraries.
- Full-featured—Voyager client/server software supports the control of Web-based
public access cataloging and authority as well as of acquisitions, serials, circulation
and course reserves modules. Sophisticated reporting and system administration are all
part of the out-of-the-box product offering.
- Flexible server configuration —Accommodates libraries' current
and future technology needs and handles a wide range of simultaneous users.
Ex Libris - USA
1350 E Touhy Avenue, Suite 200 E
Voice: 800.762.6300; 847.296.2200
- Webrary offers libraries a convenient and easy-to-manageKoh
utility for accessing your library via the Web.
See description under MARC Specialized
- Winnebago Spectrum
- Follett Software Company continues to support current customers of
the Spectrum library automation system. The system is no longer available
to new customers. To learn more about our new state-of-the-art
Destiny Library Manager solution, contact your Follett Software Company
Spectrum consolidates circulation, OPAC search, cataloging and inventory
functions, in 32-bit applications for Windows® 2000, NT, XP, and 95/98.
This system is now available only to schools in districts already using
the Spectrum system.
Spectrum Suite offers the following Spectrum tools in one convenient solution:
- Spectrum Overview
- Spectrum provides comprehensive library management capabilities including:
Cross-platform design for Windows and Mac OS for enhanced flexibility
- Easy searching of reading program information
- Seamless integration with the In-Hand scanner
- Support for patron photos
- Global subject edit for easier report setup
- Ability to create, customize and use material and patron custom indexes
- Add-ons for Spectrum Francais and Spectrum Espanol allow French and
Spanish-speaking patrons to view search screens in the language of their choice
- Visual Search to help younger users find materials
- Unlimited licensing
- Advanced booking capabilities
- Spectrum MARConnect
- Spectrum WebConnect
- Advance booking
- Seamless integration with the In-Hand
- Patron photos
- Visual Search
- Students can search by and display reading program information
- Search using a series title in both the easy and expanded search screens.
- Reports and notices
- HTML-based reports let library and media center staff convert or cut/paste
report data created in either Windows or Macintosh to an HTML report format
- Print or preview reports on a Windows client.
- Create customizable reports by choosing to create your reports in
tab-delimited text files.
- Global subject edit
- Create, customize, and use material and patron custom indexes
- Material edit
- Quick Add window lets non-MARC enter a material’s basic information
- Store valuable reading program information in the MARC 21
(formerly USMARC) tag 526 (and subfields)
- Copy and paste MARC 21 records into the Material Edit screen for cataloging.
- Copy and paste electronic resource information gathered using MARConnect
into the Material Edit screen
- Choose whether to use diacritics in cataloging
- Merge duplicate records by selecting one or more MARC records in
Manual MARC Merge
- Help system includes step-by-step instructions,
- The F1 key (Windows) or Help key (Macintosh) provides
context-sensitive help about the workspace or window in use.
Follett Software Company
1391 Corporate Drive
HOME >> MARC Records, Systems and Tools