CollectionRagheb Moftah collection of Coptic Orthodox liturgical chants and hymns, The collection consists of transcriptions (14 volumes) of Coptic chant by Ernest Newlandsmith and Margit Toth; audio tapes of Coptic chants recorded by Moftah between 1940 and 1985 (with the bulk recorded in 1965 and 1975-1985); correspondence (most importantly, letters from Ernest Newlandsmith to Ragheb Moftah concerning their collaboration). Also included are writings that consist of articles by Moftah, his autobiography, and notes concerning...
- Contributor: Moftah, Ragheb - Newlandsmith, Ernest - Tóth, Margit - Wilson, Marian Robertson
- Date: 1926
CollectionRichard Rodgers collection, 1917-1980 The collection consists predominantly of Rodgers's music holographs--sketches, vocal scores (many with lyric sheets included) and short scores. In addition, the collection includes full scores for 8 of the Rodgers and Hammerstein shows. Also included is a small number of programs, photographs, miscellaneous papers, and a few miscellaneous items.
- Contributor: Rodgers, Richard - Hart, Lorenz - Hammerstein, Oscar, II
- Date: 1917
CollectionEdison sheet music collection, 1830-1958 The collection consists chiefly of American sheet music published in the United States between the years 1830-1930. While a significant minority of the music in the collection is instrumental music, the vast majority is for voice and piano. Notable in this collection are imprints from California dating from before 1850, first editions by Irving Berlin and others, and many European imprints among the instrumental...
- Contributor: Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Bellak, Ja's (James) - Bryan, Alfred - Cooper, George - Dubin, Al. - Gilbert, L. Wolfe (Louis Wolfe) - Grant, Bert - Grobe, Charles - Harrigan, Edward - Hays, Will. S. (William Shakespeare) ... Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Bellak, Ja's (James) - Bryan, Alfred - Cooper, George - Dubin, Al. - Gilbert, L. Wolfe (Louis Wolfe) - Grant, Bert - Grobe, Charles - Harrigan, Edward - Hays, Will. S. (William Shakespeare) - Heller, Stephen - Herz, Henri - Holland, Justin - Jerome, William - Johnson, Howard - Kahn, Gus - Kinkel, Charles - Lamb, Arthur J. - Mack, Edward - Maeder, J. Gaspard (James Gaspard) - Maylath, H. (Heinrich) - Meyer, Louis - Meyerbeer, Giacomo - Millöcker, Carl - Moelling, Theodore - Pixley, Frank - Root, George F. (George Frederick) - Russell, Henry - Smith, Harry (Harry Bache) - Sterling, Andrew - Strelezki, Anton - Sudds, William F. - Weatherly, F. E. (Frederic Edward) - Webster, Joseph Philbrick - Whiting, Richard A. - Wodehouse, P. G. (Pelham Grenville) - Work, Henry C. (Henry Clay) - Young, Joe
- Date: 1830
CollectionJerome Kern collection, 1905-1945 The collection consists primarily of Kern's show music, some holograph sketches; most are manuscript full and vocal scores of Kern's orchestrators and arrangers, especially Frank Saddler and Robert Russell Bennett. Film and other music also is represented, as well as a small amount of correspondence.
- Contributor: Kern, Jerome - Saddler, Frank - Bennett, Robert Russell
- Date: 1905
CollectionNewland/Zeuner collection, circa 1735-circa 1900 Primarily music (printed and ms.) for piano, 2 or 4 hands, and songs, with a concentration in sacred vocal works in Latin and English. (The music in Latin may represent the only known source of pre-Cäcilienverein 19th-century American Catholic Church music.) Composers range from Mozart and Rossini to George F. Root and Oliver Shaw. The collection contains the largest extant source of music by...
- Contributor: Newland, William Augustine - Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus - Rossini, Gioacchino - Root, George F. (George Frederick) - Shaw, Oliver
- Date: 1735
CollectionHodges family collection, circa 1790-circa 1909 The collection contains manuscript and printed music, writings, and other materials compiled and collected by Edward Hodges and subsequently by his son, John Sebastian Bach Hodges. Noteworthy among Edward Hodges' writings are the Annuary, an attempt in later life to depict his earlier life, and documents relating to the design and construction of the 1846 Erben organ at Trinity Church in New York. Music...
- Contributor: Smith, John Stafford - Hodges, George
- Date: 1790
CollectionAlberto Nepomuceno collection, 1887-1920 The collection consists primarily of scores, most of them photocopies of holographs, and printed material, including two operas, nine orchestral and twelve chamber and solo works, as well as about forty songs and other vocal works. In addition, the collection contains a small number of photographs, portraits of the composer and his wife, books, catalogs, and other printed materials.
- Contributor: Nepomuceno, Alberto
- Date: 1887
CollectionRandolph S. Rothschild collection, 1942-1992 The collection consists primarily of music (ms., facsimile, and printed) and accompanying correspondence, programs, and reviews. The majority of the music in the collection comprises facsimile scores of compositions commissioned by the Chamber Music Society of Baltimore and the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra from prominent American composers, such as Dominick Argento, Milton Babbitt, Henry Cowell, Jacob Druckman, Ross Lee Finney, Lukas Foss, Leon Kirchner, Ernst...
- Contributor: Rothschild, Randolph S. - Argento, Dominick - Babbitt, Milton - Cowell, Henry - Druckman, Jacob - Finney, Ross Lee - Foss, Lukas - Kirchner, Leon - Krenek, Ernst - Lewis, Robert Hall ... Rothschild, Randolph S. - Argento, Dominick - Babbitt, Milton - Cowell, Henry - Druckman, Jacob - Finney, Ross Lee - Foss, Lukas - Kirchner, Leon - Krenek, Ernst - Lewis, Robert Hall - Moss, Lawrence - Reynolds, Roger - Rouse, Christopher - Schuller, Gunther - Shapey, Ralph - Weisgall, Hugo - Wuorinen, Charles
- Date: 1942
CollectionCharles Hambitzer music manuscripts, circa 1910-1918 Charles Hambitzer (1878 or 1881-1918) was an American pianist, teacher, and composer. His best known piano student was the teenage George Gershwin. Hambitzer's compositions include orchestral tone poems, incidental music for plays, two operettas, and a variety of shorter pieces.
- Contributor: Hambitzer, Charles
- Date: 1910
CollectionBilly Byers collection, 1964-1980 Billy Byers was a composer, arranger, orchestrator, and musician (trombonist). The collection primarily contains full scores in Byers' hand. It represents a sampling of Byers' work as a composer, arranger, and orchestrator. The material shows the diverse styles, musical forces, and variety of performing venues in which he worked. The scores include works for recordings, live performances, television, and film; for small combos, big...
- Contributor: Byers, Billy
- Date: 1964
CollectionTams-Witmark collection, 1701-1915 The Tams-Witmark Music Library was established in 1925 through the merger of the Arthur W. Tams Music Library and the rental library of M. Witmark & Sons. The Tams-Witmark Collection contains music (manuscript and printed scores) that was being performed in the United States during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The scope of the collection ranges from eighteenth-century operas of Handel and...
- Date: 1701
CollectionElla Fitzgerald collection, 1956-1992 Ella Fitzgerald (1917-1996) was a popular and highly-respected American jazz and pop vocalist and recording artist. The Ella Fitzgerald Collection chiefly consists of musical arrangements made for her by more than fifty arrangers and orchestrators. Arrangers whose works are found in this collection include: Buddy Bregman, Benny Carter, Frank DeVol, Russ Garcia, Billy May, Marty Paich, Nelson Riddle, and Gerald Wilson. The arrangements consist...
- Contributor: Fitzgerald, Ella - Bregman, Buddy - Bulling, Erich - Carson, Tee - Carter, Benny - Devol, Frank - Doggett, Bill - Ellington, Duke - Feller, Sid - Garcia, Russell ... Fitzgerald, Ella - Bregman, Buddy - Bulling, Erich - Carson, Tee - Carter, Benny - Devol, Frank - Doggett, Bill - Ellington, Duke - Feller, Sid - Garcia, Russell - Holman, Bill - Hughart, Jim - May, Billy - Paich, Marty - Riddle, Nelson - Weston, Paul - Wilson, Gerald
- Date: 1956
CollectionCharlie Barnet collection of big band arrangements, 1939-1949 Charlie Barnet (1913-1991) was an American bandleader, jazz saxophonist, composer, and arranger. The collection contains musical arrangements for approximately 650 songs and instrumental numbers used by Barnet and his band. The majority of these arrangements are represented by full scores, though thirty-seven are represented by parts only, and an additional thirty-one include both a full score and parts. Approximately fifty arrangers are represented in...
- Contributor: Barnet, Charlie - Burnett, Bobby - Burns, Ralph - Gibson, Andy - Hefti, Neal - Henderson, Horace - Humphries, Conn - Martin, Skip - Matthews, Dave - May, Billy - Moore, William (Arranger) - Siravo, George
- Date: 1939
CollectionTommy Newsom arrangements, 1947-1999 Tommy Newsom (1929-2007) was a saxophonist, arranger, bandleader, and composer. The collection contains musical arrangements that he wrote for dance band, symphonic orchestra, and small ensemble. The arrangements include manuscripts, printed copies, and photocopies for both full scores and orchestral parts. Most of the music dates from his thirty-year stint with the Tonight Show band. A few of the arrangements are by other arrangers...
- Contributor: Newsom, Tommy
- Date: 1947
CollectionJ. Fischer & Bro. music publishers collection, 1950-1970 The J. Fischer & Bro. Music Publishers Collection contains music manuscripts and published or photo-reproduced musical scores, in original or arranged versions. The majority of the collection are choral works, both sacred and secular, many with piano or organ accompaniment. In addition, there are original works for organ and piano, as well as piano and organ transcriptions. Most of these works were published by...
- Contributor: J. Fischer & Bro
- Date: 1950
CollectionWinston Sharples music manuscripts, 1943-1968 Winston Sharples was an American composer best known for his work with animated short films, such as Casper, the Friendly Ghost, Popeye the Sailor, and Jeepers and Creepers. The collection consists of manuscript particells (piano scores with dialogue and cues), scores, parts, and lyric sheets related to his professional engagements.
- Contributor: Sharples, Winston - Oriolo, Joe - Seeger, Hal
- Date: 1943
CollectionMusic from the Bob Hope collection, 1932-1997 In a career that spanned nearly seventy years, American comedian and entertainer Bob Hope performed in theater, radio, film, and television, and in numerous public appearances, including his tours in support of the U.S. armed forces. Music from the Bob Hope Collection contains manuscript scores, instrumental parts, and lyrics for nearly 500 works used in Hope's films, television programs and personal appearances. These materials...
- Contributor: Hope, Bob - Alberti, Bob (Pianist) - Comstock, Frank - Harmon, Manny - Hill, J. (James L.) - Myers, Pete - Perito, Nick - Rogers, Shorty - Wolpe, Dave
- Date: 1932
CollectionSongs of Edward Lipton, 1967-1984 Edward Lipton (1934-2011) was a songwriter and performer primarily known for writing children's songs. The collection contains manuscript scores for songs he wrote for both children and adults. Many are accompanied by lyric sheets.
- Contributor: Lipton, Ed.
- Date: 1967