CollectionBronislava Nijinska Collection The collection of notable dancer, choreographer and teacher Bronislava Nijinska (1891-1972) contains a diverse variety of materials documenting dance and the arts in the twentieth century. Available here are over 200 collection items, including manuscripts, books, diaries, choreographic notebooks, correspondence, moving image materials, music scores, photographs, posters, programs, set and costume designs, and scrapbooks. Photograph of Bronislava Nijinska, graduation picture, 1908. Music Division, Library ...
- Contributor: Nijinska, Bronislava
- Date: 1891
CollectionThe March King: John Philip Sousa Painting of Sousa during US Marine Band era, [n.d.]. Performing Arts Reading Room. An online presentation of selected music manuscripts, photographs, printed music, historical recordings of the Sousa Band, copies of programs and press clippings, and more from the Sousa Collection at the Library of Congress. About the John Philip Sousa Collection at the Library of Congress John Philip Sousa began donating his music ...
- Contributor: Sousa, John Philip
- Date: 1854
CollectionRoman Totenberg Papers The violinist Roman Totenberg enjoyed an extraordinarily long and varied career. Born on January 1, 1911 in Łódź, Poland, he moved as a child with his family to Moscow where he first studied the violin and witnessed the Russian Revolution firsthand. He continued his studies in Warsaw as a teen, followed by study with Carl Flesch in Berlin and Georges Enescu in Paris. Having ...
- Contributor: Totenberg, Roman - Kolsky, Ilka
- Date: 1846
CollectionAaron Copland Collection The first release of the online collection contains approximately 1,000 items that yield a total of about 5,000 images. These items date from 1899 to 1981, with most from the 1920s through the 1950s, and were selected from Copland's music sketches, correspondence, writings, and photographs. Celebrating the centennial of the birth of the American composer Aaron Copland (1900-1990), the multi-format Aaron Copland Collection, from ...
- Contributor: Copland, Aaron - Kraft, Victor
- Date: 1841
CollectionFelix Mendelssohn at the Library of Congress Made available here are digital images of selected resources on this composer. This collection was created to mark the bicentennial of the birth of composer Felix Mendelssohn on February 3, 2009. The Library of Congress’s Music Division is one of the world’s major repositories of primary source material related to the composer.
- Date: 1820
CollectionThe Library of Congress Celebrates the Songs of America See and Hear American History Through Song "Know the songs of a country and you will know its history for the true feeling of a people speaks through what they sing." – Preface to The Songs of Henry Clay Work (1884) Listen to the changes in the "Star Spangled Banner" as played by different bands in different eras. Look at the ways in which ...
- Date: 1581
CollectionA catalog of the Alfred Whital Stern collection of Lincolniana. Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Stern, Alfred Whital
- Date: 1960
View 522 Pages
CollectionSelections from the Martha Graham Collection (clockwise from top left) The Dance: Washington Festival [review]; "Graham Presents Copland's Ballet" [clipping] by Oscar Thompson; A unique dance by Martha Graham [clipping], 1926; [Tangara], photograph of Martha Graham. Dancer, choreographer, and company director Martha Graham (1894-1991) is considered one of the pioneering founders of American modern dance. In a career spanning over seven decades, Graham developed her own innovative technique and produced ...
- Contributor: Graham, Martha - Barber, Samuel - Copland, Aaron - Dello Joio, Norman - El-Dabh, Halim - Emmons, Beverly - Hindemith, Paul - Horst, Louis - Hovhaness, Alan - Karan, Donna ... Graham, Martha - Barber, Samuel - Copland, Aaron - Dello Joio, Norman - El-Dabh, Halim - Emmons, Beverly - Hindemith, Paul - Horst, Louis - Hovhaness, Alan - Karan, Donna - Lester, Eugene - Menotti, Gian Carlo - Noguchi, Isamu - Riegger, Wallingford - Rosenthal, Jean - Schuman, William - Skelton, Thomas R. - Starer, Robert - Ter-Arutunian, Rouben - Tipton, Jennifer - Weissberger, L. Arnold - Martha Graham Dance Company - Martha Graham Center of Contemporary Dance - Martha Graham School of Contemporary Dance - Graham (Martha) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1896