CollectionSir Francis Drake (Kraus Collection) Sir Francis Drake, English explorer and naval strategist, circumnavigated the earth from 1577-1580. During these travels, Drake visited the Caribbean and the Pacific claiming a portion of California for Queen Elizabeth and...
- Contributor: Hans and Hanni Kraus Sir Francis Drake Collection (Library of Congress) - Library of Congress
- Date: 2005
CollectionThe Evolution of the Conservation Movement
- Date: 1850
CollectionPrairie Settlement: Nebraska Photographs and Family Letters, 1862-1912 This digital collection integrates two collections from the holdings of the Nebraska State Historical Society, which illustrate the story of settlement on the Great Plains. Includes approximately 3,000 glass plate negatives by...
- Contributor: Butcher, Solomon D. (Solomon Devore) - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Nebraska State Historical Society
- Date: 2000
CollectionProsperity and Thrift: The Coolidge Era and the Consumer Economy, 1921-1929 Chronicles the economic period of the 1920's in the United States through books, pamphlets, legislative documents, selections from consumer and trade journals, photographs, short films, and audio selections of Coolidge speeches.
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1999
CollectionAmerican Variety Stage: Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment, 1870-1920 Multimedia collection containing digitized versions of selected Library of Congress holdings. Represents diverse forms of popular entertainment, especially vaudeville, that thrived from 1870-1920. Includes 334 English and Yiddish language playscripts, 146 theater...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1996
CollectionAaron Copland Collection The Aaron Copland collection consists of published and unpublished music by Copland and other composers, correspondence, writings, biographical material, datebooks, journals, professional papers, including legal and financial material, photographs, awards, art work,...
- Contributor: Kraft, Victor - Copland, Aaron
- Date: 1841
Collection Items: View 982 Items
CollectionAbdul Hamid II Collection These photographic albums portray the Ottoman Empire during the reign of one of its last sultans, Abdul-Hamid II. They highlight the modernization of numerous aspects of the Ottoman Empire. Most of the...
- Contributor: Sebah & Joaillier - Abdullah Frères - Abdülhamid II
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 1,819 Items
CollectionAfrican American Photographs Assembled for 1900 Paris Exposition Photographs and other visual material documenting the history of African Americans in Georgia and other areas of the Southern United States. Subjects include portraits of unidentified men, women, and children; photographs of...
- Contributor: Daniel Murray Collection (Library of Congress) - Calloway, Thomas J. - Du Bois, W. E. (William Edward Burghardt)
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 554 Items
CollectionThe Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana Works by and about Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) and his era; includes published and unpublished material on contemporary figures, slavery, the Civil War, and Reconstruction; the bronze casts of Lincoln's head and hands...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana (Library of Congress) - Stern, Alfred Whital
- Date: 1824
Collection Items: View 1,522 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, American Political cartoons and caricatures that cover a wide range of topics from pre-revolutionary America through the presidency of Chester A. Arthur. The predominate theme is the growth and development of the political...
- Contributor: Baillie, James S. - Maurer, Louis - Magee, John L. - Bucholzer, H. - Currier & Ives - Currier, Nathaniel - Childs, John - Clay, Edward Williams - Robinson, Henry R.
- Date: 1766
Collection Items: View 818 Items
CollectionAmerican Colony in Jerusalem, 1870-2006 Correspondence, diaries, minutes, notes, hymns, financial and legal records, scrapbooks, printed matter, photographs, photograph albums, and other papers relating to the history of the American Colony and its members, particularly the Spafford,...
- Contributor: Spafford, Anna T. - Spafford, Horatio Gates - American Colony (Jerusalem) - Vester, Bertha Spafford
Collection Items: View 131 Items
CollectionAnsel Adams's Photographs of Japanese-American Internment at Manzanar Photographs document the lives of Japanese Americans interned during World War II at the Manzanar Relocation Center, in Inyo County, California. There are numerous close-up and occupational portraits of individuals, including Roy...
- Contributor: Adams, Ansel
- Date: 1943
Collection Items: View 258 Items
CollectionArchitecture, Design & Engineering Drawings Design drawings. This assemblage of 50,000 design drawings documents architectural and engineering projects throughout the world, but chiefly in the United States. Well known architects and engineers include Benjamin Henry Latrobe, Charles...
- Date: 1750
Collection Items: View 1,865 Items
CollectionBain Collection The photographs document local, national, and international news events with a special emphasis on people and events in New York City. The range of subjects includes: celebrities, parades, sports events, immigration, political...
- Contributor: Bain, George Grantham - Bain News Service
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 41,447 Items
CollectionBaseball Cards Cards depict major and minor league ballplayers (in portraits and action poses), from teams in fifteen identified leagues and seventy-five cities in the United States and Canada. Includes U.S. major league teams...
- Contributor: American Tobacco Company
- Date: 1887
Collection Items: View 2,093 Items
CollectionBess Lomax Hawes Collection Papers and audiovisual materials relating to the career and personal life of folk arts administrator, folklorist, ethnomusicologist, filmmaker, musician, and teacher Bess Lomax Hawes, most from 1960-2001. Includes work produced by Hawes...
- Contributor: National Endowment for the Arts. Folk Arts Program - Hawes, Bess Lomax - Hawes, Butch
- Date: 1894
Collection Items: View 365 Items
CollectionBlue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project The collection consists of sound recordings, video recordings, photographs, manuscripts, sheet music, printed ephemera, artifacts, administrative records, and ethnographers' field notes related to the 1978 Blue Ridge Parkway Project field survey, conducted...
- Contributor: Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna - Marshall, Howard W. ... Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna - Marshall, Howard W. - Owen, Margaret Counts - Wilson, Joe - Shockley, Maggie - Jabbour, Alan - Choate, Donna - Eiler, Terry - Mullen, Patrick - Fleischhauer, Carl - American Folklife Center - Johnson, Geraldine Niva - Adler, Thomas A. - Patton, Ila - Ray, Roxie - Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project - Eiler, Lyntha Scott - Cruise, Crystal - Stanley, Lura
- Date: 1977
Collection Items: View 1,693 Items
CollectionBrady-Handy Collection The majority of the Brady-Handy negatives are Civil War and post-Civil War portraits, with a small collection of Washington views. Included are Presidents of the United States, their wives, members of Congress,...
- Contributor: Handy, Levin C. (Levin Corbin) - Brady, Mathew
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 5,005 Items
CollectionCartoon Prints, British Primarily satirical prints by British artists and/or publishers to highlight the foibles of politically and socially prominent persons. Also includes some Dutch, French, and German cartoons. Frequently depicted are members of Parliament,...
- Date: 1650
Collection Items: View 950 Items
CollectionBronislava Nijinska Collection Contains manuscripts, books, diaries, choreographic notebooks, correspondence, moving image materials, music scores, photographs, posters, programs, set designs, costume designs, and scrapbooks.
- Contributor: Nijinska, Bronislava
- Date: 1891
Collection Items: View 191 Items
CollectionBrumfield Collection The photographs document the architecture of pre-Soviet Russia. Most of the structures are churches, cathedrals, and monasteries, often shown in multiple views. Structures are located in both large cities and small towns...
- Contributor: Brumfield, William Craft
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 1,139 Items
CollectionCabinet of American Illustration Drawings and other graphic representations by American illustrators for magazines, novels, children's books, and advertisements. Includes literary and editorial cartoons and illustrations, and poster sketches. Images reflect political, social, and economic conditions,...
- Contributor: Rogers, W. A. (William Allen) - Frost, A. (Arthur Burdett) - Elliott, Elizabeth Shippen Green - Fogarty, Thomas - Herford, Oliver - Steele, Frederic Dorr - Beard, Daniel Carter - Wright, George Hand - Yohn, F. C. (Frederick Coffay) - Smedley, W. T. (William Thomas)
- Date: 1830
Collection Items: View 3,930 Items
CollectionCarnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South A systematic visual record of the early buildings and gardens of nine southern states: Virginia (ca. 600 sites), North Carolina (ca. 300 sites), Georgia (ca. 250 sites), Louisiana (ca. 170 sites), Alabama...
- Contributor: Carnegie Corporation of New York - Johnston, Frances Benjamin
- Date: 1864
Collection Items: View 6,965 Items
CollectionHighsmith (Carol M.) Archive The archive consists primarily of photographs documenting buildings, urban renewal efforts, and historic preservation. Many of the photographs document the Washington, D.C. area, Alabama, California, and Connecticut. Projects for the General Services...
- Contributor: Highsmith, Carol M.
Collection Items: View 56,071 Items
CollectionCarpenter Collection Travel views of Africa, Asia, Europe, and North and South America, with additional locations in the Middle East, Mexico, Central America and some areas of the Caribbean. Many of the images show...
- Contributor: Carpenter, Frances - Carpenter, Frank G. (Frank George)
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 1,814 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Swann Collection of Caricature and Cartoon Political prints and drawings, satires, caricatures, cartoon strips and panels, and periodical illustrations by more than 500 artists, most of whom are American. Includes images that reflect political and economic conditions, social...
- Contributor: Caroline and Erwin Swann Collection (Library of Congress) - Swann, Erwin
- Date: 1780
Collection Items: View 774 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings Contains original drawings and illustrations for political, editorial, and humorous cartoons published by international cartoonists in chiefly American newspapers, magazines, and books. Focus is on politics and government, international relations, with emphasis...
- Contributor: Bartholomew, Charles Lewis - Mauldin, Bill - Johnson, Herbert - Frueh, Alfred Joseph - Berryman, Clifford Kennedy - Cesare, Oscar Edward - Kirby, Rollin - Crockett, Gib - Covarrubias, Miguel - Mahony, Felix - Conacher, John C. - Muḥaṣṣiṣ, Ardashīr - Kelly, Walt - Harrington, Oliver W. (Oliver Wendell)
- Date: 1794
Collection Items: View 5,877 Items
CollectionCase Books Includes books and serials (bound volumes) that contain original visual materials such as engravings, woodcuts, lithographs, fine photogravures, and photographic prints. The illustrations are often the featured aspect of the work. Subject...
- Date: 1550
Collection Items: View 69 Items
CollectionChicago Ethnic Arts Project Collection The collection consists of sound recordings, photographs, manuscript materials, videorecordings, publications, ephemera, administrative files, and field notes produced and collected during the 1977 Chicago Ethnic Arts Project field survey from 1976-1981; but...
- Contributor: Swenson, Greta E. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Mathias, Elizabeth - George, Philip - Epstein, Shifra - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - González, José Gamaliel - Kalčik, Susan J. - Kubose, Minnie Somi ... Swenson, Greta E. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Mathias, Elizabeth - George, Philip - Epstein, Shifra - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - González, José Gamaliel - Kalčik, Susan J. - Kubose, Minnie Somi - Fleischhauer, Carl - Dovydenas, Jonas - Brzovich, Mato - Trbuhovic-Grasa, Gordana - Choi, Chungmoo - Bradunas, Elena - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - Bartis, Peter - Hellenberg, Antony - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan - March, Richard - American Folklife Center - Chicago Ethnic Arts Project - Libonati, Roland V. (Roland Victor) - Metcalfe, Ralph H. - Klymasz, Shirley - Lund, Jens - Illinois Arts Council
- Date: 1976
Collection Items: View 1,138 Items
CollectionCivil War Images depict military personnel and facilities, primarily from a Union perspective. Includes the main Eastern theater, the federal navy and seaborne expeditions against the Atlantic Coast of the Confederacy, the war in...
- Contributor: O'Sullivan, Timothy H. - Brady, Mathew - Barnard, George N. - Gibson, James F. - Gardner, Alexander - Smith, William Morris
- Date: 1860
Collection Items: View 16,075 Items
CollectionCollege Women's Association of Japan Print Show Collection Prints showing a variety of subjects and abstract designs from the College Women's Association of Japan 50th anniversary print show at theTokyo American Club, Tokyo, Japan, October 21-23, 2005.
- Contributor: College Women's Association of Japan
- Date: 1987
Collection Items: View 213 Items
CollectionColorado Folklife Project Collection Collection of field recordings, photographs, drawings, and field notes from a limited field survey or consultancy demonstrating folkloristic methodology and the particulars of research on local history, material culture, and vernacular architecture,...
- Contributor: Natanson, Barbara Orbach - American Folklife Center - Emrich, Ron - Dettmer, Elke - Marshall, Howard W. - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1980
Collection Items: View 129 Items
CollectionCoptic Orthodox Liturgical Chant and Hymnody The collection consists of transcriptions (14 volumes) of Coptic chant by Ernest Newlandsmith and Margit Toth; audio tapes of Coptic chants recorded by Moftah between 1940 and 1985 (with the bulk recorded...
- Contributor: Wilson, Marian Robertson - Newlandsmith, Ernest - Moftah, Ragheb - Tóth, Margit
- Date: 1926
Collection Items: View 318 Items
CollectionDaguerreotypes The majority of the daguerreotypes are portraits by American photographers, including many by Mathew Brady's studio and the first American daguerreotype, made by Robert Cornelius. The collection also includes some early architectural...
- Contributor: Washington, Augustus - Cornelius, Robert - Anson, Rufus - Brady, Mathew
- Date: 1839
Collection Items: View 865 Items