CollectionThe Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine Collection Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine in London American actor, singer and comedian Danny Kaye arrives with his wife, Sylvia Fine, for an appearance in London. November 1948. Following the professional lives of...
- Contributor: Dena Pictures, Inc - McDowall, Roddy - Fine, Sylvia - Halsman, Philippe - Kaye, Danny - Kaye (Danny)/FINE (Sylvia) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 2,054 Items
CollectionDayton C. Miller Collection The collection contains nearly 1,700 flutes and other wind instruments, statuary, iconography, books, music, trade catalogs, tutors, patents, and other materials mostly related to the flute. It includes both Western and nonwestern...
- Contributor: Miller, Dayton Clarence
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 1,973 Items
CollectionDetroit Publishing Company Includes over 25,000 glass negatives and transparencies as well as about 300 color photolithograph prints, mostly of the eastern United States. Subjects strongly represented in the collection include city and town views,...
- Contributor: Jackson, William Henry - Hart, Edward H. - Detroit Publishing Co. - Johnston, J. S. (John S.) - Byron (Firm : New York, N.Y.) - Glover. L. S. (Lycurgus S.) - Peabody, Henry G. (Henry Greenwood)
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 25,172 Items
CollectionDolly Parton and the Roots of Country Music This presentation explores the influences of country music on Dolly's life and career. Though sometimes overshadowed by the more glamorous aspects of Dolly Parton's popular image, traditional Appalachian folk, country, and bluegrass...
- Date: 1946
Collection Items: View 19 Items
CollectionCurtis (Edward S.) Collection The Curtis collection consists of more than 2,400 silver-gelatin, first generation photographic prints--some of which are sepia-toned--made from Curtis's original glass negatives. Most of the photographic prints are 5" x 7" although...
- Contributor: Curtis, Edward S.
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 1,074 Items
CollectionEmile Berliner and the Birth of the Recording Industry This collection showcases the work of Emile Berliner, a prominent inventor at the end of the nineteenth and the beginning of the twentieth centuries. Overlooked by today's historians, Berliner's creative genius rivaled...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
- Date: 2002
Collection Items: View 532 Items
CollectionEthnic Heritage and Language Schools in America Project The Ethnic Heritage and Language Schools in America Project was conducted in 1982 by the American Folklife Center to survey selected religious and secular ethnic community-based schools conducted, at least in part,...
- Contributor: Long, Lucy M. - Proschan, Frank - Deak, Frank - Marks, Morton - Cech, Barbara - Leung, John - Skillman, Amy E. - McCallum, Brenda - Arocho, Rudy - Davis, Lee ... Long, Lucy M. - Proschan, Frank - Deak, Frank - Marks, Morton - Cech, Barbara - Leung, John - Skillman, Amy E. - McCallum, Brenda - Arocho, Rudy - Davis, Lee - Bromberg, Joann Berlin - American Folklife Center - Gates, Bob - Fleischhauer, Carl - Vidutis, Richard - Basa, Peter - Fast, Jana - Kloberdanz, Timothy J. - Penti, Marsha Elizabeth - McClain, Margy - Fish, Lydia M. - Baird, Scott J. - Webber, Philip E. - Bradunas, Elena - Bell, Carole O. - Tarhan, Lance - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Seipel, Sandy - Topping, Brett - Feintuch, Burt - Westover, Victoria - Sacks, Maurie - Dwyer-Shick, Susan - Conklin, Nancy Faires - Miller, Jefferson - Haas, Mary-Louise - Nagy, Susan Mary
- Date: 1982
Collection Items: View 788 Items
CollectionFenton Crimean War Photographs Roger Fenton's Crimean War photographs represent one of the earliest systematic attempts to document a war through the medium of photography. Fenton, who spent fewer than four months in the Crimea (March...
- Contributor: Fenton, Roger
- Date: 1855
Collection Items: View 268 Items
CollectionFinding Our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond A thematic collection exploring changing models of the universe through time, ideas of life on other words and Carl Sagan’s place in the tradition of science. It features manuscripts, rare books, celestial...
- Contributor: Druyan, Ann - Sagan, Carl - Macfarlane, Seth
Collection Items: View 351 Items
CollectionTending the Commons: Folklife and Landscape in Southern West Virginia This collection presents 718 excerpts of sound recordings, 1,256 photographs, and 10 manuscripts from the American Folklife Center's Coal River Folklife Project Collection. The project documented traditional uses of the mountains in...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 2,017 Items
CollectionJohnston (Frances Benjamin) Collection NEW! See Gardens and Historic Houses in more than 1,000 hand-colored photos Collection Overview: Lantern Slides for Garden & Historic House Lectures Frances Benjamin Johnston (1864-1952) was one of the first American...
- Contributor: Johnston, Frances Benjamin
- Date: 1864
Collection Items: View 3,130 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Black-and-White Negatives The photographs of the Farm Security Administration - Office of War Information Photograph Collection form an extensive pictorial record of American life between 1935 and 1944. This U.S. government photography project was...
- Contributor: United States. Farm Security Administration - United States. Office of War Information
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 167,970 Items
CollectionFarm Security Administration/Office of War Information Color Photographs Photographers working for the U.S. government's Farm Security Administration (FSA) and later the Office of War Information (OWI) between 1939 and 1944 made approximately 1,600 color photographs that depict life in the...
- Contributor: Collins, Marjory - United States. Office of War Information - Jacobs, Fenno - Collier, John - Rosskam, Louise - Feininger, Andreas - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration ... Collins, Marjory - United States. Office of War Information - Jacobs, Fenno - Collier, John - Rosskam, Louise - Feininger, Andreas - Dixon, Royden - Downey, Jack - Wolcott, Marion Post - United States. Farm Security Administration - Lee, Russell - Vachon, John - Rous, John - Bransby, David - Siegel, Arthur S. - Rothstein, Arthur - Liberman, Howard - Delano, Jack - Hollem, Howard R. - Sherwood, Mark - Palmer, Alfred T. - Rittase, William M.
- Date: 1939
Collection Items: View 1,548 Items
CollectionMatson (G. Eric and Edith) Photograph Collection This collection is a rich source of historical images of the Middle East. The majority of the images depict Palestine (present day Israel and the West Bank) from 1898 to 1946. Most...
- Contributor: Matson Photo Service - American Colony (Jerusalem). Photo Department
- Date: 1898
Collection Items: View 22,061 Items
CollectionGenthe Collection Arnold Genthe (1869-1942) was an internationally recognized photographer working in the soft-focus pictorialist style. The Library of Congress acquired approximately 20,000 items from his unclaimed studio after his death.
- Contributor: Genthe, Arnold
- Date: 1896
Collection Items: View 16,861 Items
CollectionGeorgia O'Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz Correspondence This collection of Georgia O’Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz Correspondence and Related Material (157 items; 618 images) consists mostly of letters, 1929-1947, written by painter Georgia O’Keeffe (1887-1986) and her husband, Photo-Secession movement...
- Contributor: Stieglitz, Alfred - O'Keeffe, Georgia
Collection Items: View 41 Items
CollectionThe Gerry Mulligan Collection [Portrait of Gerry Mulligan, ca. 1980s] by William P. Gottlieb. Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress. As a saxophonist, composer, arranger and band leader, Gerry Mulligan (1927-1996) is a jazz legend....
- Contributor: Grusin, Dave - Mandel, Johnny - Dankworth, John - Cohn, Al. - Boras, Tom - Handy, George - Forman, Mitchel - McFarland, Gary - Mulligan, Gerry - Holman, Bill - Lee, Julian - Brookmeyer, Bob
- Date: 1940
Collection Items: View 151 Items
CollectionGladstone Collection of African American Photographs The William A. Gladstone Collection of African American Photographs provides almost 350 images showing African Americans and related military and social history. The Civil War era is the primary time period covered,...
- Contributor: Gladstone, William A. - Kimball, M. H. - M'clees, Jas. E. (James E.) - Kellogg Brothers - Ball, James Presley - Paxson, Chas. (Charles) - Moore, Henry P. - McPherson & Oliver
- Date: 1861
Collection Items: View 329 Items
CollectionGoldstein Foundation Collection--Prints and Drawings This category consists of all of the individually issued prints and drawings in the Ben and Beatrice Goldstein Foundation Collection: 1,688 items dating primarily from the 1880s to the 1960s. The collection...
- Date: 1800
Collection Items: View 160 Items
CollectionGottscho-Schleisner Collection The collection of more than 45,000 items (negatives, transparencies and prints) came to the Library of Congress in the early 1980s. The online collection provides access to 29,000 negatives and color transparencies....
- Contributor: Gottscho-Schleisner, Inc - Gottscho, Samuel H. (Samuel Herman) - Schleisner, William H. (William Herman)
- Date: 1896
Collection Items: View 29,010 Items
CollectionGrabill Collection The one hundred and eighty-eight photographs sent by John C.H. Grabill to the Library of Congress for copyright protection between 1887 and 1892 are thought to be the largest surviving collection of...
- Contributor: Grabill, John C. H.
- Date: 1887
Collection Items: View 193 Items
CollectionHarris & Ewing Collection Background and Scope of the Collection The Harris & Ewing, Inc. Collection of photographic negatives includes glass and film negatives taken by Harris & Ewing, Inc., which provide excellent coverage of Washington...
- Contributor: Harris & Ewing
- Date: 1905
Collection Items: View 41,542 Items
CollectionFiddle Tunes of the Old Frontier: The Henry Reed Collection Fiddle Tunes of the Old Frontier: The Henry Reed Collection presents traditional fiddle tunes performed by Henry Reed of Glen Lyn, Virginia. Recorded by folklorist Alan Jabbour in 1966-67, when Reed was...
- Contributor: Jabbour, Alan - Reed, Henry - Glenroy, William - Ricci, Glenn - Reed, Watha - Reed, Gene - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 292 Items
CollectionCartoon Drawings: Herblock Collection Herbert L. Block (1909-2001), known to the world as Herblock, was one of the most influential political commentators and editorial cartoonists in American history. His long chronicle of major social and political...
- Contributor: Block, Herbert
- Date: 1930
Collection Items: View 9,140 Items
CollectionHistoric American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey Overview of the HABS/HAER/HALS collections, which document achievements in architecture, engineering, and landscape design from the 17th-20th centuries in the United States and its territories through measured drawings, photographs, and written historical...
- Contributor: Historic American Buildings Survey
- Date: 1933
Collection Items: View 44,391 Items
CollectionHorydczak Collection The Theodor Horydczak Collection (about 14,350 photographs online) documents the architecture and social life of the Washington metropolitan area in the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s, including exteriors and interiors of commercial, residential,...
- Contributor: Horydczak, Theodor
- Date: 1915
Collection Items: View 14,324 Items
CollectionIrving Fine Collection, ca. 1914-1962 The career of Irving Fine (1914-1962), composer, conductor, writer, and academic, is documented in the Library of Congress Music Division by approximately 4,350 items from the Irving Fine Collection. Comprising manuscript and...
- Contributor: Fine, Irving
- Date: 1930
Collection Items: View 80 Items
CollectionItalian Americans in the West Project The Italian Americans in the West Project collection contains the sound recordings, photographs, video recordings, fieldnotes, publications, ephemera, and accompanying manuscript materials associated with the American Folklife Center's Italian Americans in the...
- Contributor: Light, Ken - Taylor, David Alan - Frank, Russell - Williams, John Alexander - Carter, Thomas - Wood, Myron - Graham, Andrea - Owen, Blanton - Parks, Valerie - Manini, Paula Marie ... Light, Ken - Taylor, David Alan - Frank, Russell - Williams, John Alexander - Carter, Thomas - Wood, Myron - Graham, Andrea - Owen, Blanton - Parks, Valerie - Manini, Paula Marie - Siporin, Steve - Roeder, Beatrice A. - Lund, Jens - Notarianni, Philip F. - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - DeNatale, Douglas - Tavarelli, Paola
- Date: 1988
Collection Items: View 1,516 Items
CollectionBy Popular Demand: Jackie Robinson and Other Baseball Highlights, 1860s-1960s 2007 marks the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson's rookie season for the Brooklyn Dodgers. When he stepped onto Ebbets field on April 15th, 1947, Robinson became the first African American in the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division - Library of Congress. Manuscript Division
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 71 Items
CollectionFine Prints: Japanese, pre-1915 The Library's Prints and Photographs Division houses more than 2,500 woodblock prints and drawings by Japanese artists of the seventeenth through early twentieth centuries including Hiroshige, Kuniyoshi, Sadahide, and Yoshiiku. The Library...
- Contributor: Utagawa, Yoshitora - Utagawa, Yoshitoyo - Utagawa, Yoshikazu - Utagawa, Kuniteru - Andō, Hiroshige - Ikkei - Utagawa, Hiroshige - Ochiai, Yoshiiku - Utagawa, Sadahide
- Date: 1615
Collection Items: View 2,661 Items
CollectionWilliam P. Gottlieb Collection In 1995 this collection was purchased with financial support from the Ira and Leonore S. Gershwin Fund. The collection consists of jazz photographs taken by writer-photographer William P. Gottlieb, from 1938 to...
- Contributor: Gottlieb, William P.
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 1,513 Items
CollectionSouthern Mosaic: The John and Ruby Lomax 1939 Southern States Recording Trip This recording trip is an ethnographic field collection that includes nearly 700 sound recordings, as well as fieldnotes, dust jackets, and other manuscripts documenting a three-month, 6,502-mile trip through the southern United...
- Contributor: Archive of American Folk Song - Lomax, Alan - Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Lomax, Ruby T. (Ruby Terrill)
- Date: 1934
Collection Items: View 895 Items
CollectionSelections from the Katherine Dunham Collection [Katherine Dunham, dancer, three-quarter length portrait] (top to bottom) Katherine Dunham as Woman with a Cigar from Tropics, by Alfredo Valenti; Katherine Dunham in the 1940 Broadway hit production of Cabin in...
- Contributor: Dunham, Katherine
- Date: 1920
Collection Items: View 125 Items
CollectionKorab Collection Represented in this online collection is a selection from the Korab Collection. Included are: Almost 800 photographs by Balthazar Korab documenting 19 projects designed by renowned architect Eero Saarinen (1910-1961). Included are...
- Contributor: Korab, Balthazar
- Date: 1955
Collection Items: View 2,358 Items