Format Description Categories
Browse Alphabetical List
MPEG-4 File Format, V.2, with Advanced Audio Coding
Format Description Properties
- ID: fdd000234
- Short name: MP4_FF_2_AAC
- Content categories:
- Format Category:
- Other facets:
unitary, binary, unstructured, sampled
- Last significant FDD update:
- Draft status: Full
Identification and description
||MPEG-4 Version 2 file format with Advanced Audio Coding
||MPEG-4 Version 2 file format containing AAC encoded data.
||Generally used for final-state, end-user delivery.
|Relationship to other formats
MPEG-4 File Format, Version 2
Advanced Audio Coding, MPEG-4
AAC (MPEG-4) Low Complexity Object
||Additional audio, graphics, and scene graph stream types. Not documented at this time.
|LC experience or existing holdings
||General preference for recorded sound is WAVE_LCPM. For compressed sound, MP4_FF_2_AAC is acceptable.
Quality and functionality factors
|Fidelity (high audio resolution)
|Support for user-defined sounds, samples, and patches
|Functionality beyond normal rendering
File type signifiers and format identifiers
- ISO/IEC 14496-1:2001 Information technology -- Coding of audio-visual objects -- Part 1: Systems
- ISO/IEC 14496-1:2001/Amd 1:2001 Extended BIFS
- ISO/IEC 14496-1:2001/Amd 4:2003 SL extensions and AFX streams
- ISO/IEC 14496-3:2001 Information technology -- Coding of audio-visual objects -- Part 3: Audio
- ISO/IEC 14496-3:2001/Cor 1:2002
- ISO/IEC 14496-3:2001/Amd 1:2003 Bandwidth extension
- ISO/IEC 14496-12:2004 Information technology -- Coding of audio-visual objects -- Part 12: ISO base media file format
- ISO/IEC 14496-14:2003 Information technology -- Coding of audio-visual objects -- Part 14: MP4 file format
MPEG-2/MPEG-4 AAC (http://www.mp3-tech.org/aac.html). From MP3-tech.org
- "MP3 and AAC Explained" is a 1999 article by Karlheinz Brandenburg, Fraunhofer Institute, Erlangen, Germany. It has good detail but with a focus on AAC_MP2. It is available in several locations and at least two forms.
MP3 and AAC Explained (as PDF) (http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/content/dam/iis/de/doc/ame/conference/AES-17-Conference_mp3-and-AAC-explained_AES17.pdf). As published in proceedings of the 17th AES International Conference on High Quality Audio Coding, 1999, Sept 2-5.
MP3 and AAC Explained (transcribed to HTML) (http://www.telosalliance.com/support/MP3-And-AAC-Explained). Transcription to HTML around 2013 indicates the article's classic status and continuing usefulness.
- See MP4_FF_2 and AAC_MP4.
Last Updated: Wednesday, 22-Feb-2017 12:37:44 EST