The National Book Festival returned to the National Mall despite safety concerns post-9/11 and amid the DC sniper attacks.
Featured authors, illustrators, poets, and storytellers included:
- Pulitzer Prize winner David McCullough
- Illustrator Ted Young
- Novelist Barbara Taylor Bradford
- Children’s book writer and illustrator Brian Collier
- Festivities moved to the West Lawn of the Capitol, because the Capitol Visitor Center was under construction.
- The Pavilion of States, highlighted state reading programs and local libraries. 41 states, DC, and American territories sent materials and representatives, and 9 states sent regional items from their states.