Manuscript/Mixed Material Image 1 of Conversation with 37 year old white male, Tylerton, Maryland (Transcript)
About this Item
- Conversation with 37 year old white male, Tylerton, Maryland (Transcript)
- Contributor Names
- Unidentified (Speaker)
- Bills, Rebecca (Collector)
- Created / Published
- Between 1983 and 1985
- Subject Headings
- - English language--Dialects--Maryland
- - Smith Island (Md. and Va.)--Social life and customs
- - Chesapeake Bay Region--Social life and customs
- - Men, White--Maryland--Tylerton--Language
- - Ferryboat captains--Maryland--Language
- - Ferries--Maryland--Smith Island
- - Occupations--Maryland
- - Anecdotes--Maryland--Smith Island
- - Duck shooting--Maryland
- - Game wardens--Maryland
- - Hunting stories
- - Interviews
- - Transcripts
- - United States -- Maryland -- Somerset (Smith Island) -- Tylerton
- - 37 year old white male. Mail boat captain. Interview takes place on subject's boat.
- - Talks about career choice; operating a mail boat versus being a waterman or a computer programmer. Also talks about duck trapping.
- - The last two minutes of the audio are not transcribed (up to 17:43).
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1986/022: AFS 24,328, folder 38
- Source Collection
- Center for Applied Linguistics Collection (AFC 1986/022)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
- online text
Chesapeake Bay Region
Smith Island (Md. And Va.)
Social Life and Customs
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
If you have any more information about an item in the CAL collection, or if you are the copyright owner and believe our website has not properly attributed the item or has used it without permission, we want to hear from you. Please contact the staff of the American Folklife Center.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Center for Applied Linguistics collection (AFC 1986/022), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Unidentified, and Rebecca Bills. Conversation with 37 year old white male, Tylerton, Maryland Transcript. Between 1983 and 1985, 1983. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afccal000528/. (Accessed October 17, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Unidentified & Bills, R. (1983) Conversation with 37 year old white male, Tylerton, Maryland Transcript. Between 1983 and 1985. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afccal000528/.
MLA citation style:
Unidentified, and Rebecca Bills. Conversation with 37 year old white male, Tylerton, Maryland Transcript. Between 1983 and 1985, 1983. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/afccal000528/>.