Photo, Print, Drawing 1994 Colorado State Winner
About this Item
- 1994 Colorado State Winner
- Contributor Names
- Kimball, Annabelle (Creator)
- Created / Published
- Arvada, Colorado, January 1, 1993 - April 1, 1993
- Subject Headings
- - Quilting
- - Quilt patterns
- - quilt tops
- - aesthetics
- - batting (textiles)
- - applique quilts
- - hand quilting
- - commemorative quilts
- - synthetic fabrics
- - cotton fabrics
- - album quilts
- - Photographs
- - United States -- Colorado -- Arvada
- - The following information was supplied by the quiltmaker:
- - Quilt size: 98" x 110"
- - If your quilt is based on a traditional pattern or an earlier quilt, what is the name of the pattern? Where did you learn the pattern? "Each block is a traditional rose pattern. Each block has a traditional name. I collected them from different sources and chose the most intricate. The border (trellis) is my own design. There are 20 blocks: Missouri Rose, Harrison Rose, Album Rose Wreath, Tree Rose, Rose of Sharon With Buds, North Carolina Rose, Sadie's Choice Rose, Rose Wreath, Mrs. Potter's Rose Applique, Tea Rose, Wild Rose, Victorian Rose, Roses in a wreath, Old Fashioned Rose, Whig Rose, Rose Spray, Virginia Rose, American Beauty Rose, Rose and Rosebud Wreath, Album Roses."
- - How did you choose the materials used in your quilt? "I always wanted a red, white and green quilt for myself -- I have made many quilts for other people, especially the years I owned (Quilts and Such) a quilt store in Taos, New Mexico. Since then I have continued doing quilt restorations and private commissions. My favorites to restore are crazy quilts and hand applique."
- - What was your primary reason for entering the Lands' End contest? Do you frequently enter your quilts in competition? "My neighbor suggested I enter and brought me the entry information. No, I have never before entered a contest but I am working on another quilt now which I plan to enter."
- - How long have you been making quilts? How did you learn to quilt? "28 years -- I am listed in the book 'Quilt Restoration, a Practical Guide' by Camilly Dalphond Cognac under Resources for Quilt Repair in Colorado. 1994 published." She learned by "Instruction from my mother, Jean Morgan, Pine Grove, Penna. Interested in my Penna. Dutch heritage. Many hours of practice and reading in trying to improve my techniques."
- - Has being a winner in the Land's End contest made a difference in your life? Has it changed the way you look at your work as a quilt maker? "Yes, it has given me a great comfort in knowing I have achieved in making a beautiful piece of art for everyone to enjoy."
- - For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
- Color transparency
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1997/011: Folder 8999 P1
- Source Collection
- Lands' End All-American Quilt Collection (AFC 1997/011)
- American Folklife Center
- Online Format
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
This collection includes materials from the "All-American Quilt Contest" sponsored by Coming Home, a division of Lands' End and Good Housekeeping. The quilt contest winning entries from 1992 to 1996 are displayed with the permission of Coming Home which retains its rights.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project collection, 1977-1981 (AFC 1982/009), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Lands' End all-American quilt collection, 1992-1997 (AFC 1997/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Kimball, Annabelle. Colorado State Winner. United States Colorado Arvada, 1994. Arvada, Colorado, January 1, - April 1. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000475/.
APA citation style:
Kimball, A. (1994) Colorado State Winner. United States Colorado Arvada, 1994. Arvada, Colorado, January 1, - April 1. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000475/.
MLA citation style:
Kimball, Annabelle. Colorado State Winner. Arvada, Colorado, January 1, - April 1. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/qlt000475/>.
More Photos, Prints, Drawings like this
Photo, Print, Drawing1994 South Carolina State Winner
- Contributor: Perea, Ilse
- Date: 1994
Photo, Print, Drawing1994 Iowa State Winner
- Contributor: McCabe, Mary Jo
- Date: 1994
Photo, Print, Drawing1996 3rd Place National
- Contributor: Ott, Carol K.
- Date: 1996
Photo, Print, Drawing1996 Utah State Winner
- Contributor: Elmer, Susan E.
- Date: 1996
Photo, Print, Drawing1996 1st Place National Winner
- Contributor: Goff, Candy
- Date: 1996