Photo, Print, Drawing 1996 Kids Quilt
About this Item
- 1996 Kids Quilt
- Other Title
- Title of Quilt: Helfrich Park Middle School Class of 1995
- Contributor Names
- Helfrich Park Middle School (Evansville, Ind.) 8th grade students; Adams, Jo, teacher (Creator)
- Created / Published
- Evansville, Vanderburgh County, Indiana, October, 1994 - May, 1995
- Subject Headings
- - Quilting
- - Quilt patterns
- - quilt tops
- - embroidery
- - aesthetics
- - batting (textiles)
- - applique quilts
- - hand quilting
- - machine quilting
- - quilting bees
- - quilting groups
- - quilt blocks
- - synthetic fabrics
- - art quilts
- - cotton fabrics
- - pictorial quilts
- - quilt art
- - Photographs
- - United States -- Indiana -- Vanderburgh County -- Evansville
- - The following information was supplied by the quiltmaker:
- - Quilt size: 102" x 102"
- - How did you choose the materials used in your quilt? "A local quilter and business woman, Betty Cummings, selected the all cotton materials based on historical information. Students could select from a variety of prints and patterns. Each student designed and appliqued his or her square. Mrs. Cummings then arranged the squares (209) and arranged to have them quilted."
- - "The quilt was the 'masterpiece' of a unit on the westward migration of the pioneers, in particular, life along the Oregon Trail." It was their "first effort!"
- - What was your primary reason for entering the Lands' End contest? Do you frequently enter your quilts in competition? "The primary reason for entering the Lands' End contest was to obtain recognition for our students and our new school. Our students and their families were very proud of their work and we felt the quality of the work was superior."
- - For rights information please contact the Folklife Reading Room at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.afc/folklife.contact
- Color transparency
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1997/011: Folder 9056 P1
- Source Collection
- Lands' End All-American Quilt Collection (AFC 1997/011)
- American Folklife Center
- Online Format
FormatPhoto, Print, Drawing
ContributorsAdams, Jo, Teacher
Helfrich Park Middle School (Evansville, Ind.) 8th Grade Students
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
This collection includes materials from the "All-American Quilt Contest" sponsored by Coming Home, a division of Lands' End and Good Housekeeping. The quilt contest winning entries from 1992 to 1996 are displayed with the permission of Coming Home which retains its rights.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project collection, 1977-1981 (AFC 1982/009), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Lands' End all-American quilt collection, 1992-1997 (AFC 1997/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Chicago citation style:
Helfrich Park Middle School. 1996 Kids Quilt. Evansville Indiana United States Vanderburgh County, 1996. Evansville, Vanderburgh County, Indiana, October, - May, 1995. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000553/. (Accessed June 29, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Helfrich Park Middle School. (1996) 1996 Kids Quilt. Evansville Indiana United States Vanderburgh County, 1996. Evansville, Vanderburgh County, Indiana, October, - May, 1995. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000553/.
MLA citation style:
Helfrich Park Middle School. 1996 Kids Quilt. Evansville, Vanderburgh County, Indiana, October, - May, 1995. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/qlt000553/>.