Photo, Print, Drawing E. Lucy Braun, the pioneering ecologist who identified the mixed mesophytic forest as a coherent system.
About this Item
- E. Lucy Braun, the pioneering ecologist who identified the mixed mesophytic forest as a coherent system.
- Contributor Names
- Braun, E. Lucy (Emma Lucy), 1889-1971 (Depicted)
- Hufford, Mary, 1952- (Photographer)
- Created / Published
- October 20, 1994
- Subject Headings
- - Braun, E. Lucy (Emma Lucy), 1889-1971
- - Photographs
- - Ethnography
- - Ohio -- Hamilton County -- Cincinnati
- - In an entry for the Biographical Dictionary of North American Environmentalists, L. Ron Stuckey describes E. Lucy Braun as "One of the most original thinkers in the developing field of plant ecology during the first half of the twentieth century in North America. A faithful and dedicated worker in the field of conservation and the preservation of natural areas. An independent investigator with firm and strong beliefs who allowed little deviation for argument and disagreement. A perfectionist striving for thoroughness and accuracy with meticulous attention to detail in her scientific work. Her book, Deciduous Forests, was acclaimed by F. Fosberg as a definitive work that 'reached a level of excellence seldom or never before attained in American ecology or vegetation science, at least in any work of comparable importance.' It remains her most remembered and lasting achievement."
- 35 mm Color Slide
- Call Number/Physical Location
- AFC 1999/008: CRF-MH-C020-02
- Source Collection
- Coal River Folklife Collection (AFC 1999/008)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Copy photographs of numerous historical still photographs owned by Woody Boggs and Rick Bradford were made and are reproduced here with permission of the owners.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance.
Coal River Folklife Project collection (AFC 1999/008), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Braun, E. Lucy, and Mary Hufford. E. Lucy Braun, the pioneering ecologist who identified the mixed mesophytic forest as a coherent system. Cincinnati Hamilton County Ohio, 1994. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000316/. (Accessed March 23, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Braun, E. L. & Hufford, M. (1994) E. Lucy Braun, the pioneering ecologist who identified the mixed mesophytic forest as a coherent system. Cincinnati Hamilton County Ohio, 1994. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000316/.
MLA citation style:
Braun, E. Lucy, and Mary Hufford. E. Lucy Braun, the pioneering ecologist who identified the mixed mesophytic forest as a coherent system. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/cmns000316/>.