Manuscript/Mixed Material Image 1 of Proposed Recording Expedition into the Floridas
About this Item
- Proposed Recording Expedition into the Floridas
- Contributor Names
- Hurston, Zora Neale (Author)
- Created / Published
- May, 1939
- Subject Headings
- - Essays
- - Manuscripts
- - Dr. Carita Doggett Corse, state director of the Florida Federal Writers' Project, forwards to B. A. Botkin, national folklore director for the Federal Writers' Project and chairman of the Joint Committee on Folk Arts of the WPA, a copy of Florida Federal Writers' Project editor Zora Neale Hurston's "Proposed Recording Expedition Into the Floridas." Hurston's essay was written in preparation for the visit of Herbert Halpert (director of the folk song department of the National Service Bureau, Federal Theater Project) on the Joint Committee on Folk Art and Library of Congress-sponsored southern recording expedition. According to Dr. Corse, "His trip was cut short so that only a few of these recordings were made. Zora Neale Hurston completed contacts for Negro recordings at the turpentine camp in Cross City and in Tampa before she was called to Philadelphia."
- Manuscript: 9 p.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Zora Neale Hurston Corporate Subject File
- Source Collection
- Zora Neale Hurston Corporate Subject File
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
- online text
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the material in this collection, except as noted below. Users should keep in mind that the Library of Congress is providing access to these materials strictly for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other holders of rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. See our Legal Notices and Privacy and Publicity Rights for additional information and restrictions.
The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
A small subset of the sound recordings in this collection (44 items) are not included in this online presentation due to considerations of sound quality or other concerns. See a list of the items in the American Folklife Center's holdings but not provided here online. Researchers with an interest or need to review the entire body of material are encouraged to contact the American Folklife Center. The staff of the American Folklife Center is eager to learn more about the musical compositions and performers included in the collection and encourages the public to contact them with any information.
Please cite the source collection title, collection number, and repository, for example:
- Resettlement Administration Recordings Collection (AFC 1939/016), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Stetson Kennedy and Robert Cook Florida WPA Recordings (AFC 1939/013), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Alton C. Morris Florida WPA recordings (AFC 1939/026), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- Florida WPA Recordings, 1940 (AFC 1940/011), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
- American Folklife Center correspondence files, American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hurston, Zora Neale. Proposed Recording Expedition into the Floridas. May, 1939. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000213/.
APA citation style:
Hurston, Z. N. (1939) Proposed Recording Expedition into the Floridas. May. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000213/.
MLA citation style:
Hurston, Zora Neale. Proposed Recording Expedition into the Floridas. May, 1939. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/flwpa000213/>.