Manuscript/Mixed Material Image 5 of [Four Gospels]

About this Item

About this Item

Title
[Four Gospels]
Contributor Names
Kirakos (Priest), former owner.
Nersēs, Abegha, active 14th century, scribe.
Pʻillipos (Priest), former owner.
Bush, Caroline E., 1847-1919, associated name.
Foster, Henry, 1821-1901, former owner.
Minasean, Khachʻatur H., Hoghecʻi, former owner.
Created / Published
1321
Notes
-  [Jerusalem]
-  Binding: stamped brown goat leather over boards; right corner of front cover and lower part of backstrip have been broken off. Nail holes on front and back cover, indicating that at one time the covers had silver crosses. Red and blue linen doublures. Two paper fly leaves in back from an older ms. Lectionary; the second leaf is partially torn. Both leaves have text in bolorgir (rounded letters).
-  Each Gospel begins with table of contents (tsʻutsʻakkʻ)
-  Illustrations: pen-drawn decorations; initials; miniatures of evangelists lacking.
-  Ink: red, black (carbon), and brown.
-  Manuscript text.
-  Principal colophon (folios 281v-284) the manuscript was written at Jerusalem by the scribe Nersēs Abegha [Monk] in A.E. 770 (=A.D. 1321).
-  Text in 2 columns; 13 x 8 cm.; ruled paper; marginal decorations; some later written marginalia.
-  Also available in digital form.
-  In Armenian.
-  Accompanied by letter to Dr. H. Foster from Mary P. Wright, dated July 22, 1891: MS. "presented you by Miss Bush." This is most likely Caroline E. Bush who spent many years as a missionary to the Armenians at the Harpoot Station of the American Board of Commisioners for Foreign Missions.
-  As recorded in a modern hand the book was purchased by a priest named Pʻillipos from a priest Kirakos. It was later owned by Khachʻatur H. Minasean Hoghecʻi.
-  Bookplate, inside back cover: "Library of the Board of Foreign Missions of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. 156 Fifth Avenue, New York. Class 727. Book Ar B1.7. For Reference. Presented by Dr. and Mrs. Henry Foster."
-  Note accompanying ms.: "Presented to Presbyterian Missionary Library by Dr. Henry Foster and Mrs. Mary E. Foster Clifton Springs N.Y."; LC acquisitions date stamp appears on this note: Oct 22 1959.
Medium
284 leaves : paper ; 17 x 25 cm
Call Number/Physical Location
BS95.5 .F6 1321
Digital Id
https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.amed/amedscd.2014373015
https://hdl.loc.gov/loc.wdl/wdl.15059
Library of Congress Control Number
2014373015
Language
Armenian
Online Format
image
Description
[Jerusalem] Binding: stamped brown goat leather over boards; right corner of front cover and lower part of backstrip have been broken off. Nail holes on front and back cover, indicating that at one time the covers had silver crosses. Red and blue linen doublures. Two paper fly leaves in back from an older ms. Lectionary; the second leaf is partially torn. Both leaves have text in bolorgir (rounded letters). Each Gospel begins with table of contents (tsʻutsʻakkʻ) Illustrations: pen-drawn decorations; initials; miniatures of evangelists lacking. Ink: red, black (carbon), and brown. Manuscript text. Principal colophon (folios 281v-284) the manuscript was written at Jerusalem by the scribe Nersēs Abegha [Monk] in A.E. 770 (=A.D. 1321). Text in 2 columns; 13 x 8 cm.; ruled paper; marginal decorations; some later written marginalia. Also available in digital form. In Armenian. Accompanied by letter to Dr. H. Foster from Mary P. Wright, dated July 22, 1891: MS. "presented you by Miss Bush." This is most likely Caroline E. Bush who spent many years as a missionary to the Armenians at the Harpoot Station of the American Board of Commisioners for Foreign Missions. As recorded in a modern hand the book was purchased by a priest named Pʻillipos from a priest Kirakos. It was later owned by Khachʻatur H. Minasean Hoghecʻi. Bookplate, inside back cover: "Library of the Board of Foreign Missions of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. 156 Fifth Avenue, New York. Class 727. Book Ar B1.7. For Reference. Presented by Dr. and Mrs. Henry Foster." Note accompanying ms.: "Presented to Presbyterian Missionary Library by Dr. Henry Foster and Mrs. Mary E. Foster Clifton Springs N.Y."; LC acquisitions date stamp appears on this note: Oct 22 1959.
LCCN Permalink
https://lccn.loc.gov/2014373015
Additional Metadata Formats
MARCXML Record
MODS Record
Dublin Core Record
IIIF Presentation Manifest
Manifest (JSON/LD)

Rights & Access

The contents of the Library of Congress Armenian Rarities are in the public domain and are free to use and reuse.

Credit Line: Library of Congress, African and Middle Eastern Division, Armenian Rarities.

More about Copyright and other Restrictions

For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.

Cite This Item

Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.

Chicago citation style:

Kirakos , Former Owner, Abegha Nersēs, Former Owner PʻIllipos, Caroline E Bush, Henry Foster, and KhachʻAtur H Minasean. Four Gospels. 1321. Manuscript/Mixed Material. https://www.loc.gov/item/2014373015/.

APA citation style:

Kirakos, F. O., Nersēs, A., PʻIllipos, F. O., Bush, C. E., Foster, H. & Minasean, K. H. (1321) Four Gospels. [Manuscript/Mixed Material] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2014373015/.

MLA citation style:

Kirakos , Former Owner, et al. Four Gospels. 1321. Manuscript/Mixed Material. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2014373015/>.

More Manuscripts/Mixed Material like this