Book/Printed Material Image 297 of Under Calvin's spell; a tale of the heroic times in old Geneva,
with all his soul, and his taste had been well cultivated in Geneva, where, though dance music and profane songs were forbidden, all the graver kinds, which could minister to devotion, were much esteemed. This music was delicious! He told himself it must come from a soul attuned to harmony. Drawn unawares by its charm, he stepped inside the gate, and advanced cautiously, hoping to see the musician.
He was successful. On a seat, so placed as to catch the full benefit of the evening breeze, sat a young man, dressed fashionably in lace and velvet, his sword at his side, and his short cloak hanging on the back of the bench. He seemed too much absorbed in his playing to notice the intruder.
Thus emboldened, Norbert drew nearer, and stood listening, until the cessation of the sweet sounds surprised him with a sudden pang.
The musician laid down his quill, raised his eyes, and looked, not at Norbert, but straight before him. Norbert thought it strange, but fortunate, that he did not notice him, and quietly turned to go.
‘ Whose step is that ? ' asked the musician.
* I am a stranger. Will it please you, sir, to excuse me ? The gate was open, and drawn by the music, I ventured to come in and listen.*
* There is nought to excuse. But, I pray thee, who is it that speaks to me? lad or lady? You see — I am blind.*
* I am sorry for you, sir, ' said Norbert. * I am a young man from Switzerland, clerk and servitor of one Master Lyne, a merchant of St. Gall. I only arrived this evening, and am now in search of his dwelling. I
About this Item
- Under Calvin's spell; a tale of the heroic times in old Geneva,
- Contributor Names
- Alcock, Deborah, 1835-1913.
- Created / Published
- New York, Chicago [etc.] F. H. Revell company 
- Subject Headings
- - Calvin, Jean,--1509-1564--Fiction
- - Geneva (Switzerland)--Fiction
- - Reformation--Fiction
- Historical fiction
- - Also available in digital form.
- 3 p.l., 5-364 p. front., plates. 21 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- PZ3.A354 U PR4004.A115
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- online text
- Also available in digital form.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Alcock, Deborah. Under Calvin's spell; a tale of the heroic times in old Geneva. [New York, Chicago etc. F. H. Revell company, 1910] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/10024714/.
APA citation style:
Alcock, D. (1910) Under Calvin's spell; a tale of the heroic times in old Geneva. [New York, Chicago etc. F. H. Revell company] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/10024714/.
MLA citation style:
Alcock, Deborah. Under Calvin's spell; a tale of the heroic times in old Geneva. [New York, Chicago etc. F. H. Revell company, 1910] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/10024714/>.