Map [Collection of nine images including astronomical instruments, celestial charts, and a world map].
About this Item
- [Collection of nine images including astronomical instruments, celestial charts, and a world map].
- Contributor Names
- Ferguson, James, 1710-1776.
- Created / Published
- [no earlier than 1769]
- Le globe celeste -- Sisteme de Coprenic, de Ticho Brahe, et de Descartes -- Mappe Monde ou description generale du globe Terrestre / suivant Mr. de Lisle de l'Academie royale des sciences -- Machina ingenioso artifice extructa, ope et industria Bernardi a Cloese restituta, Europae admiratio -- Sphaera artificialis, seu armillaris -- La sphere artificielle -- De Hemel Globe -- [Handwritten title, covering article and two diagrams] A new method of constructing sun-dials for any given latitude without the assistance of dialing scales, or logarithmic calculations / by James Ferguson F.R.S.
- Subject Headings
- - Ptolemy,--active 2nd century
- - Copernicus, Nicolaus,--1473-1543
- - Brahe, Tycho,--1546-1601
- - Descartes, René,--1596-1650
- - Sundials
- - Sundials--Design and construction
- - Sundials--Early works to 1800
- - Armillary spheres--Early works to 1800
- - Celestial sphere--Early works to 1800
- - Spherical astronomy
- - Universe
- Celestial charts
- Armillary spheres
- - Title devised by cataloger.
- - English, French and Latin.
- - James Ferguson article from Gent. Mag. March 1769.
- - Nine printed images and two panels of printed text mounted on paper within hand drawn frames colored yellow. From various sources, unidentified except for the Ferguson article.
- - Mounted on cloth and stamped in blue ink in lower left margin: 312A.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 9 maps on 1 sheet : hand colored ; 35 x 20 cm or smaller, sheet 56 x 66 cm
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3190 1769 .C6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- Title devised by cataloger. English, French and Latin. James Ferguson article from Gent. Mag. March 1769. Nine printed images and two panels of printed text mounted on paper within hand drawn frames colored yellow. From various sources, unidentified except for the Ferguson article. Mounted on cloth and stamped in blue ink in lower left margin: 312A. Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The Library of Congress has digitized various items from numerous Library of Congress collections to create the online collection Finding our Place in the Cosmos: From Galileo to Sagan and Beyond. As a result, the individual collection items may have varying rights and access restrictions. Whenever possible, the Library of Congress provides factual information about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. For further information with respect to a specific collection item, see the associated rights & access statement on the individualized web page displaying that specific collection item.
As a publicly supported institution, the Library generally does not own rights in its collections. Therefore, it does not charge permission fees for use of such material and generally does not grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute material in its collections. Permission and possible fees may be required from the copyright owner independently of the Library. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Researchers must make their own assessments of rights in light of their intended use.
If you have any more information about an item you've seen on our website or if you are the copyright owner and believe our website has not properly attributed your work to you or has used it without permission, we want to hear from you. Please contact OGC@loc.gov with your contact information and a link to the relevant content.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ferguson, James. Collection of Nine Images Including Astronomical Instruments, Celestial Charts, and a World Map. [No Earlier Than, 1769] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2013593153/.
APA citation style:
Ferguson, J. (1769) Collection of Nine Images Including Astronomical Instruments, Celestial Charts, and a World Map. [No Earlier Than] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2013593153/.
MLA citation style:
Ferguson, James. Collection of Nine Images Including Astronomical Instruments, Celestial Charts, and a World Map. [No Earlier Than, 1769] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2013593153/>.
More Maps like this
MapLa sphere artificielle ou armilaire oblique : elevée sur l'horizon a la latitude de Paris Includes diagrams of the Copernican, Brahean, Cartesian, and Ptolemaic systems, maps of the Sun and Moon, Venus, Mercury, Mars and Jupiter, and two diagrams showing the Earth's parallels. Available also through the...
- Contributor: Starckman, P. - Fer, Nicolas De - Picart, Bernard
- Date: 1716
MapIntroduction a la géographie: carte des diverses positions de la sphere, des systhèmes de l'Univers, des ...
Carte des diverses positions de la sphere, des systhèmes de l'Univers, des planettes, des eclypses &. Appears in Didier Robert de Vaugondy's Atlas d'étude, pour l'instruction de la jeunesse, composé de trente-cinq cartes. A Paris : Chez C.F. Delamarche, Géographe, rue du Foin S. Jacques, au Collège de...
- Contributor: Delafosse, Jean-Baptiste - Robert De Vaugondy, Didier - Delamarche, Charles François
- Date: 1791
MapPlanisphaerii coelestis hemisphaerium meridionale : calculatum ad finem anni MDCC, pro aevo XVIII praesente Shows hemispheric view with signs of the Zodiac and the constellations shown picorially. "Cum Privilegio Pontissimorum D D Ordinum Hollandiae et Westfrisiae". Appears in: Atlas nouveau contenant toutes les parties du monde,...
- Contributor: Cóvens Et Mortier - Allard, Carel
- Date: 1700
Map[Three maps of the cosmological systems of Ptolemy, Copernicus, and Brahe]. Title supplied by cataloger. Includes text. Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image. LC copy assembled from three separate maps, trimmed and mounted on sheet. LC...
- Contributor: Fer, Nicolas De
- Date: 1669
MapThe figure of the World. In upper right corner: p. 2. includes text and 4 diagrams. Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image. LC copy has red-bordered label affixed to verso,...
- Date: 1650