Maps Inside front cover
About this Item
- [Portolan atlas of 9 charts and a world map, etc. Dedicated to Hieronymus Ruffault, Abbot of St. Vaast].
- Contributor Names
- Agnese, Battista, active 16th century.
- Created / Published
- [ca. 1544]
- Subject Headings
- - World maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Nautical charts--Early works to 1800
- - Earth
- - Manuscript, pen-and-ink and watercolor, on vellum.
- - Each double-page illumination (col. diagrs., col. maps) 21 x 29 cm. Compass rose on inside back cover.
- - "Maps 1, 2, and 10 show America. No. 1 shows the Gulf of California which Ulloa discovered in 1539. On the same map Yucatan is shown as an island, and the east and west coasts of North and South America are only partially shown. On no. 2, the east coasts of North and South America are shown in their entirety and the west coasts only partially. Clumps of trees in green and gold are shown on no. 1, near the Noluccas, and on no. 2, in the Brazilian region of South America. The oval world map (no. 10) shows Magellan's route around the world and a route from Spain to Peru. The 12 wind cherubs on this map are named." -- Ristow and Skelton, Nautical charts on vellum in the Library of Congress, 1977.
- - LC Nautical charts on vellum, 5
- - Rosenthal 1914, 1884
- - Ruge 1916, p. 17-18
- - Wagner 1931, 33
- - Skelton , 19
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- 1 ms. atlas (15 leaves) : col. ; 26 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G1001 .A4 1544
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- online text
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Agnese, Battista, Active 16Th Century. [Portolan atlas of 9 charts and a world map, etc. Dedicated to Hieronymus Ruffault, Abbot of St. Vaast].  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98687206/. (Accessed December 08, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Agnese, B. (1544) [Portolan atlas of 9 charts and a world map, etc. Dedicated to Hieronymus Ruffault, Abbot of St. Vaast]. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98687206/.
MLA citation style:
Agnese, Battista, Active 16Th Century. [Portolan atlas of 9 charts and a world map, etc. Dedicated to Hieronymus Ruffault, Abbot of St. Vaast].  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/98687206/>.