Maps 1. Eastern Mediterranean
About this Item
- [Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea, western Europe, and the northwest coast of Africa].
- Contributor Names
- Oliva, Joan, active 1580-1615.
- Created / Published
- [ca. 1590]
- [1. Eastern Mediterranean] -- [2. Central Mediterranean] -- [3. Western Europe and the British Isles] -- [4. Northwest Africa] -- [5. World map drawn on an oval projection].
- Subject Headings
- - Nautical charts--Early works to 1800
- - Nautical charts--Mediterranean Region--Early works to 1800
- - Atlases, Spanish--Early works to 1800
- - Manuscript maps--Early works to 1800
- - Earth
- - Title supplied by cataloger.
- - Attributed to Joan Oliva by John Wolter in A portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea and western European waters, with a world map, 1987.
- - Pen-and-ink and watercolor on vellum. World map painted on paper affixed to vellum.
- - Six blank paper pages precede and follow the 10 vellum pages of maps. Circular watermarks on pp.  and .
- - Bound in contemporary tooled and gilded vellum covers.
- - Accompanied by 4 pieces of a Latin manuscript on vellum removed from the spine during conservation.
- - LC Nautical charts on vellum, 8.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 ms. atlas ( p.) : col. ill., col. maps, vellum ; 29 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G1059 .O4 1590
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- online text
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Oliva, Joan, Active. [Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea, western Europe, and the northwest coast of Africa].  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2005634035/. (Accessed February 23, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Oliva, J. (1590) [Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea, western Europe, and the northwest coast of Africa]. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2005634035/.
MLA citation style:
Oliva, Joan, Active. [Portolan atlas of the Mediterranean Sea, western Europe, and the northwest coast of Africa].  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2005634035/>.