Maps Americae sive qvartae orbis partis nova et exactissima descriptio
About this Item
- Americae sive qvartae orbis partis nova et exactissima descriptio
- Other Title
- Americae sive quartae orbis partis nova et exactissima descriptio
- Contributor Names
- Gutiérrez, Diego, active 1554-1569.
- Cock, Hieronymus, approximately 1510-1570.
- Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- [Antwerp : s.n.], 1562.
- Subject Headings
- - Western Hemisphere--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - America--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Western Hemisphere
- - America
- - Covers North and South America with the adjacent seas.
- - Relief shown pictorially.
- - From the Rosenwald Collection, Library of Congress, no. 1303.
- - Originally printed on 6 sheets.
- - Described in Quarterly Journal of the Library of Congress, v. 6, no. 3 (May 1949), p. 18-20.
- - Includes texts in cartouche, statements of dedication, coats-of-arms, ill. of allegorical figure "Victoria", and ill. of sailing ships at sea and imaginary marine creatures.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - LC sheet trimmed.
- - Vault
- 1 map ; 83 x 86 cm., on sheet 100 x 102 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3290 1562 .G7
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Articles and Essays with this item:
- Inventing America - 1492: An Ongoing Voyage
- The 1562 Map of America - Discovery and Exploration - Digital Collections
- The Mind of the Mapmaker: Purpose and Point of View in Maps
- Imaginary Maps in Literature and Beyond: Map Monsters
- Exploration and Discovery - Zoom Into Maps- Classroom Presentation
- Memory Gallery A - American Treasures of the Library of Congress
- Maps of Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Mapping the National Parks - Digital Collections
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gutiérrez, Diego, Active, Hieronymus Cock, and Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. Americae Sive Qvartae Orbis Partis Nova Et Exactissima Descriptio. [Antwerp: s.n, 1562] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/map49000970/. (Accessed December 07, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Gutiérrez, D., Cock, H. & Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. (1562) Americae Sive Qvartae Orbis Partis Nova Et Exactissima Descriptio. [Antwerp: s.n] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/map49000970/.
MLA citation style:
Gutiérrez, Diego, Active, Hieronymus Cock, and Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. Americae Sive Qvartae Orbis Partis Nova Et Exactissima Descriptio. [Antwerp: s.n, 1562] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/map49000970/>.