Maps Colton's rail-road and military map of the United States, Mexico, the West Indies, &c.
About this Item
- Colton's rail-road and military map of the United States, Mexico, the West Indies, &c.
- Detailed general map of portions of North America framed in decorative borders showing drainage, international and state boundaries, cities and towns, forts, railroads in operation, and proposed lines. [From published bibliography]
- Contributor Names
- Colton, J. H. (Joseph Hutchins), 1800-1893.
- Created / Published
- New York, 1862.
- Subject Headings
- - United States--Maps
- - Railroads--United States--Maps
- - Mexico--Maps
- - West Indies--Maps
- - United States
- - Mexico
- - West Indies
- - Scale ca. 1:6,500,000.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Shows slave holding states.
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.), 26.3
- - LC Railroad maps, 45
- - Includes census information for 1860.
- - Insets: Colton's map of the Americas, Africa and a portion of Europe showing the Atlantic and part of the Pacific oceans.--New Orleans and delta of the Mississippi, Louisiana.--Mobile harbor, Alabama.--Key West and Tortugas, Florida reefs.--Wilmington and vicinity, N. Carolina.--Beaufort and vicinity, N. Carolina.--Norfolk, fortress Monroe, James River, Richmond, Petersburg &c &c.--Map of Charleston, Port Royal & Savannah vicinities.--Washington, Manassas Junction, Harpers Ferry, Baltimore, Annapolis &c &c.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - AACR2: 651/1; 650/2; 651/3; 651/4
- col. map 78 x 103 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3700 1862 .C65
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
Rights and Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Electronic Sources on the Learning Page.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Colton, J. H. Colton's rail-road and military map of the United States, Mexico, the West Indies, &c. New York, 1862. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71000834/. (Accessed February 24, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Colton, J. H. (1862) Colton's rail-road and military map of the United States, Mexico, the West Indies, &c. New York. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71000834/.
MLA citation style:
Colton, J. H. Colton's rail-road and military map of the United States, Mexico, the West Indies, &c. New York, 1862. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gm71000834/>.