Maps The North Pennsylvania Rail Road and its connections, Octr. 1853.
About this Item
- The North Pennsylvania Rail Road and its connections, Octr. 1853.
- Outline map of the eastern Great Lakes, east to Philadelphia and New York City, showing the east Pennsylvania coal fields. Chartered April 8, 1852, under Philadelphia, Easton and Water-Gap Railroad. See entry 529.
- Contributor Names
- Miller, Edward, 1811-1872.
- North Pennsylvania Railroad Company.
- Created / Published
- Phila[delphia], 
- Subject Headings
- - North Pennsylvania Railroad Company--Maps
- - Railroads--Northeastern States--Maps
- - United States--Northeastern States
- - Scale ca. 1:1,800,000.
- - Across top of map: "Philadelphia's great north and Lake route."
- - A table of distances appears in the lower left of map.
- - "The North Pennsylvania Rail Road will form part of a line from the Wyoming mines northwest to the Lakes and from the Lehigh mines southeast to tidewater, shorter both ways, than any other route, from either of the anthracite coal fields. It will also establish between Philadelphia and all places west of the longitude of Waverly, a line forty miles shorter than any route from the same places, or either of them, to the City of New York."
- - LC Railroad maps, 496
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- col. map 44 x 64 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3711.P3 1853 .M5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
Rights and Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Electronic Sources on the Learning Page.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Miller, Edward, and North Pennsylvania Railroad Company. The North Pennsylvania Rail Road and its connections, Octr. 1853. [Philadelphia, 1853] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98688744/. (Accessed January 23, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Miller, E. & North Pennsylvania Railroad Company. (1853) The North Pennsylvania Rail Road and its connections, Octr. 1853. [Philadelphia] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98688744/.
MLA citation style:
Miller, Edward, and North Pennsylvania Railroad Company. The North Pennsylvania Rail Road and its connections, Octr. 1853. [Philadelphia, 1853] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/98688744/>.