Map Map of Carroll County, Md.
About this Item
- Map of Carroll County, Md.
- Contributor Names
- Shearer, William Otis.
- Created / Published
- [Philadelphia?], c1863.
- Subject Headings
- - Carroll County (Md.)--Maps
- - United States--Maryland--Carroll County
- - Scale 1:31,680.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 256.4
- - "Made for military purposes only."
- - Relatively crude hand-colored lithographic map showing roads and railroads, towns and villages, houses and names of residents, rivers, and district boundaries. The map includes fewer personal names than shown on "Martenet's map of Carroll County, Maryland" (Baltimore, Simon J. Martenet, 1862). Military information is not depicted.
- - Listed in R. W. Stephenson's Land Ownership Maps (Washington, Library of Congress, 1967), no. 288.
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 1 map, hand col. ; 139 x 141 cm. in 2 parts, each 70 x 141 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3843.C4 1863 .S5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Shearer, William Otis. Map of Carroll County, Md. [Philadelphia?, 1863] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/99447400/.
APA citation style:
Shearer, W. O. (1863) Map of Carroll County, Md. [Philadelphia?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99447400/.
MLA citation style:
Shearer, William Otis. Map of Carroll County, Md. [Philadelphia?, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/99447400/>.
More Maps like this
MapPart of Carroll County, Maryland Shows western two-thirds of the county including roads, railroads, towns, taverns, schools, and post offices. Manuscript, pen-and-ink on tracing linen. "Drawn from S. J. Martenet's map by John de la Camp [and...
- Contributor: United States. Army. Corps of Topographical Engineers - Macomb, J. N. (John N.) - De La Camp, J. (John) - Martenet, Simon J. - Macomb, J. N.
- Date: 1862
MapCarroll County, Maryland "Compiled by USGS in 1976 from USGS 1:24,000-scale topographic maps dated 1966-1974." "Planimetry revised from aerial photographs taken 1973." Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- Contributor: Geological Survey (U.S.) - United States. Soil Conservation Service
- Date: 1979
MapShearer's map of York County, Pennsylvania : from actual surveys General-content county map showing townships, rural buildings, and householders' names; the city/borough insets show building coverage and some occupants' names; Goldsborough inset shows lot lines, lot numbers, and owners' names. Hand colored...
- Contributor: Lake, D. J. - Shearer, William Otis
- Date: 1860
MapPocket map showing the probable theatre of the war Scale ca. 1:1,700,000. LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 1 Map of Maryland, Delaware, and parts of Pennsylvania and Virginia, showing "camps & forts" underlined in red, "prominent places" underlined in blue,...
- Contributor: Aschbach, G. A.
- Date: 1861
MapMap of the vicinity of Hagerstown, Funkstown, Williamsport, and Falling Waters, Maryland Scale ca. 1:21,500. LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 245 "United States forces are shown in blue [and] Confederate forces are shown in red." Indicates houses, names of residents, stone fences, roads,...
- Contributor: United States. Army. Corps of Engineers
- Date: 1879