Maps [Dotted line map of Washington, D.C., 1791, before Aug. 19th].
About this Item
- [Dotted line map of Washington, D.C., 1791, before Aug. 19th].
- Contributor Names
- L'Enfant, Pierre Charles, 1754-1825.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Washington (D.C.)--Surveys--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Washington (D.C.)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Manuscript maps--Early works to 1800
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington
- - Shows survey lines and proposed public squares parks.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Title from LC G&M Div. preliminary map shelflist card.
- - Ms. survey map drawn by P.C. L'Enfant.
- - Oriented with north toward the upper left.
- - Black and col. inks, watercolors.
- - In black ink at lower left: Note. All the lines coloured red are finished and those coloured yellow are intended to be compleated this season.
- - Watermark (crown over fleur-de-lis).
- - Originally drawn on 2 sheets.
- - Soiled, torn, missing small edge sections, and mounted on cloth backing.
- - Accompanied by positive and negative photocopies of L'Enfant's letter to George Washington, Aug. 19, 1791, the original in the L'Enfant papers, no. 0215-977, L.C. Ms. Div.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- - DCP
- 1 map : ms., col. ; 68 x 106 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3851.B3 1791 .L4
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsL'enfant, Pierre Charles
LocationDistrict of Columbia
SubjectsDistrict of Columbia
Early Works to 1800
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
L'Enfant, Pierre Charles. [Dotted line map of Washington, D.C., 1791, before Aug. 19th].  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/88694203/. (Accessed February 20, 2017.)
APA citation style:
L'Enfant, P. C. (1791) [Dotted line map of Washington, D.C., 1791, before Aug. 19th]. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/88694203/.
MLA citation style:
L'Enfant, Pierre Charles. [Dotted line map of Washington, D.C., 1791, before Aug. 19th].  Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/88694203/>.