Maps New Market, Va., battlefield May 15, 1864
About this Item
- New Market, Va., battlefield May 15, 1864
- Contributor Names
- Colonna, B. Allison.
- Created / Published
- Washington, D.C., Norris Peters Co., photo-lith., c1914.
- Subject Headings
- - New Market, Battle of, New Market, Va., 1864--Maps
- - Battlefields--Virginia
- - New Market (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--New Market
- - New Market, Battle of, New Market, Va
- - Scale 1:15,840.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 585
- - "This map shows the battlefield as it was May 15, 1864. It is based on the Woodstock, Va., sheet of the U.S. Geological Survey as shown in the subsketch [inset]. The woods, orchards, houses and other cultural features are by Frank J. Bushong, the best living authority, confirmed by Mr. Hupp, of Sperryville, Va., who also pointed out on the ground the Imboden-Boyd action of May 13, 1864. The places where certain ones fell are from lifelong residents of New Market, who were there on the day of the battle, and from J. H. Dwyer, of Woodson's Missourians."
- - Shows troop and artillery positions, roads, drainage, vegetation, and relief by contour lines and hachures. Fifty important points are keyed by number to a list to the left of the map.
- - Inset: [Topographic map of the Shenandoah Valley extending from Rinkerton to Melrose showing events associated with the battle of New Market.] 24 x 15 cm. (irregular shape)
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 1 map, col., 39 x 40 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G3882.N37S5 1914 .C6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
New Market (Va.)
New Market, Battle Of, New Market, Va
New Market, Battle Of, New Market, Va.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Colonna, B. Allison. New Market, Va., battlefield May 15, 1864. Washington, D.C., Norris Peters Co., photo-lith, 1914. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99448860/. (Accessed February 20, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Colonna, B. A. (1914) New Market, Va., battlefield May 15, 1864. Washington, D.C., Norris Peters Co., photo-lith. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/99448860/.
MLA citation style:
Colonna, B. Allison. New Market, Va., battlefield May 15, 1864. Washington, D.C., Norris Peters Co., photo-lith, 1914. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/99448860/>.