Maps Galbraith's railway mail service maps, Missouri.
About this Item
- Galbraith's railway mail service maps, Missouri.
- One of eight large-scale pictorial maps of midwestern states showing routes and post offices of the Railway Mail Service. Designed by Chicago railway mail clerk Frank H. Galbraith to help employees of the Railway Mail Service quickly locate counties and post offices. The maps were rented for practicing or prospective workers who numbered over 6,000 and traveled over a million miles a year on the rails sorting mail. A printed title cartouche accompanied by a list of counties for each of the states by McEwen Map Company of Chicago is pasted on the maps. For published maps showing the routes of the mail service see entries 283 and 313.
- Contributor Names
- Galbraith, Frank H.
- United States. Railway Mail Service.
- Created / Published
- Chicago, 1897, c1898.
- Subject Headings
- - Railroads--Missouri--Maps
- - United States--Missouri
- - Scale not given.
- - Hand colored gelatin transfer.
- - LC has another copy in 8 sheets, each 100 x 60 cm.
- - LC Railroad maps, 246
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Inset: Environs of St. Louis. 30 x 44 cm.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Vault
- col. map 180 x 240 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G4161.P3 1897 .G3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
Rights and Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Electronic Sources on the Learning Page.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Galbraith, Frank H, and United States Railway Mail Service. Galbraith's railway mail service maps, Missouri. Chicago, 1897, 1897. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98688506/. (Accessed January 20, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Galbraith, F. H. & United States Railway Mail Service. (1897) Galbraith's railway mail service maps, Missouri. Chicago, 1897. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/98688506/.
MLA citation style:
Galbraith, Frank H, and United States Railway Mail Service. Galbraith's railway mail service maps, Missouri. Chicago, 1897, 1897. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/98688506/>.