Maps A new chart of the Mediterranean Sea
About this Item
- A new chart of the Mediterranean Sea
- Contributor Names
- Heather, William, 1764-1812.
- Stephenson, John (Engraver), active 1791-1817.
- Norie, J. W. (John William), 1772-1843.
- Michelot, Henri.
- W. Heather & Co.
- Created / Published
- London : W. Heather & Co., 1797.
- Subject Headings
- - Mediterranean Sea--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Marseille Region (France)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Harbors--Italy--Genoa--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Livorno Region (Italy)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Izmir, Gulf of (Turkey)--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Mediterranean Sea
- - France--Marseille Region
- - Italy--Genoa
- - Italy--Livorno Region
- - Turkey--Izmir, Gulf of
- Nautical charts
- Early maps
- - Depths shown by soundings in selected areas.
- - Statement of dedication: To the Right Honorable Horatio Baron Nelson of the Nile and of Burnham Thorpe in Norfolk, Rear Admiral of the Blue, and Knight of the Military Order of the Garter, this chart is most repectfully dedicated by his grateful much obliged humble servant, William Heather.
- - "Published as the Act directs, July 12th 1797, by W. Heather & Co. at the Navigation Warehouse, No. 157 Leadenhall Street, London."
- - Originally printed on 3 sheets (later conjoined, still later quartered and mounted on cloth backing to enable folding).
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Includes notes, 7 landscape panoramas, and 11 compass stars.
- - Inset charts: The Gulf of Marseilles / by Henry Michelott -- The port of Genoa / by Captain Dupré -- The harbor of Leghorn / by William Heather -- The Gulf of Smyrna / by Henry Michod.
- 1 map : cloth backing ; 76 x 189 cm., folded to 82 x 49 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G5672.M4P5 1797 .H4
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Norie, J. W. (John William)
W. Heather & Co.
Izmir, Gulf of.
Gulf of Izmir
Early Works to 1800
Izmir, Gulf of
Izmir, Gulf of (Turkey)
Livorno Region (Italy)
Marseille Region (France)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Heather, William, John Stephenson, J. W Norie, Henri Michelot, and W. Heather & Co. A new chart of the Mediterranean Sea. London: W. Heather & Co, 1797. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012593220/. (Accessed January 22, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Heather, W., Stephenson, J., Norie, J. W., Michelot, H. & W. Heather & Co. (1797) A new chart of the Mediterranean Sea. London: W. Heather & Co. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2012593220/.
MLA citation style:
Heather, William, et al. A new chart of the Mediterranean Sea. London: W. Heather & Co, 1797. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/2012593220/>.