Map Image 1 of Copy 2 Copy 2
About this Item
- Carte de France
- Contributor Names
- Cassini, César-François, 1714-1784.
- Andriveau-Goujon, J.
- Société de la carte de France.
- Dépôt de la guerre (France)
- Created / Published
- [Paris : Société de la carte de France], 1756-
- Subject Headings
- - France--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - France
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Title from sheets no. 1 and no. 6.
- - Publication taken over by Dépôt de la guerre in 1793.
- - Publication information and dates from Pelletier's Cartes des Cassini, 2002.
- - Engravers named on some sheets: C. Aldring, Aubin, J.A. Aveline, Beauvais, Bourgoin, R. Brunet, N. Chalmandrier, Chambon, Desbruslins, B. Desfontaines, Dupain-Triel fils, Durand, Foin, Le Roy le ainé, Le Roy le jeune, J. Séguin.
- - Sheet no. 160 was never published, but its projected coverage was included in some states of sheet 131.
- - Most sheets include both a sheet number in the upper right or middle margin and a number in the upper left indicating the order of publication, e.g. no. 3, feuille 11.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - LC scanned copy is LC copy 2 from the Hauslab-Liechtenstein collection. This is a complete set, hand colored, on uncut sheets of heavy paper.
- - LC copy includes 2 different states of sheets 5, 6, 41, 43, 77, 78, 109 (feuille 68), 110, 113, 141 (feuille 73), 142, 161, and 162.
- - LC copy includes 2 copies of sheets 10 and 78 (1 copy of 1 state, 2 copies of the other).
- - LC copy includes some sheets mounted in sections on cloth backing.
- - LC copy imperfect: lacking sheets 1, 7, 8, 24-28, 60-64, 93-98, 102-105, 125-130, 167, 170-72.
- - AACR2
- 175 maps on 182 sheets ; sheets 65 x 95 cm. or smaller.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G5830 s86 .C3
- G5830 s86 .C3 Copy 2 Vault: HL 30-1-175 Hand col. on uncut sheets of heavy paper. Sheets 63 x 95 cm.
- G5830 s86 .C3 Copy 3 Vault Complete set of 175 maps, including variant editions of some sheets printed with a different numbering system. Bookplates on verso of sheets follow the numbering of the other two LC copies. Some sheets annotated in brown, some in red. Sheets 133 and 134 hand colored. Sectioned and mounted on cloth. Originally folded and filed in boxes 21 x 16 x 9 cm. Bookplate of J. Andriveau Goujon, géographe editeur, collector of set, on verso of each sheet. Accompanied by: Noveau tableau pour servir a l'assemblage des feuilles de la carte de France ... Paris : Dépôt général de la guerre, 1808. LCCN 2007627114.
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- online text
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Cassini, César-François, J Andriveau-Goujon, Société De La Carte De France, and Dépôt De La Guerre. Carte de France. [Paris: Société de la carte de France, -1818, 1756] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/gm72002942/.
APA citation style:
Cassini, C., Andriveau-Goujon, J., Société De La Carte De France & Dépôt De La Guerre. (1756) Carte de France. [Paris: Société de la carte de France, -1818] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gm72002942/.
MLA citation style:
Cassini, César-François, et al. Carte de France. [Paris: Société de la carte de France, -1818, 1756] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/gm72002942/>.
More Maps like this
Nouvelle carte qui comprend les principaux triangles qui servent de fondement à la description géométrique de ... Relief shown pictorially. Prime meridian: Paris. Includes table of principal towns and points of interest with coordinates and distances from the Paris observatory. LC copy imperfect: fold lined, separated along central fold,...
- Contributor: Aubin - Heulland, Guillaume D - Cassini, César-François - Maraldi, J. D. (Jean Dominique)
- Date: 1744
Carte des travaux publics en France comprenant le réseau complet des chemins de fer en l'ensemble ...
Canals & r. roads of France Includes inset of Corsica. Prime meridian: Paris. Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image. LC copy sectioned into 18 and mounted on cloth, folding to 23...
- Contributor: Dumont, Aristide - Fillmore, Millard - Rousset, P. - Andriveau-Goujon, J.
- Date: 1856
Carte générale des routes, des chemins de fer et des principales voies navigables de l'Europe : ...
Carte générale de l'Europe General-content map of Europe showing states, railroads, waterways, roads (postal routes), and ferries. Does not cover northern Scandinavia. Prime meridian: Paris. Signed in ink script on verso: Millard Fillmore, February 12, 1866....
- Contributor: Fillmore, Millard - Andriveau-Goujon, J.
- Date: 1864
Le royaume de France. Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- Contributor: Jaillot, Alexis Hubert - Sanson, Guillaume
- Date: 1724
The Kingdom of France is represented under the form of a ship. Cartoon map showing monarchical France in the form of a sailing ship at sea. Relief shown pictorially. Also shows administrative divisions (departments). Text, calendar, and map names in English. Index of departments...
- Date: 1795