Map [Map of the Far East and adjacent Pacific]. Recto
About this Item
- [Map of the Far East and adjacent Pacific].
- Other Title
- Contributor Names
- Polo, Marco, 1254-1323?
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - East Asia--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - North Pacific Ocean--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - Pacific Coast (North America)--Maps, Manuscript--Early works to 1800
- - East Asia
- - North Pacific Ocean
- - Pacific Coast (North America)
- - The map, in its ornamental frame, occupies the right side of the sheet. Drawing of a ship and an eight-line explanation of Roman numerals on left side of the sheet.
- - Place names in Arabic. Chinese in two columns, on right side of map. Text in Venetian Italian.
- - Undetermined authenticity.
- - Provenance unverified.
- - Pen-and-ink.
- - Further description of map appeared in article: Bagrow, Leo, 1948. The maps from the home archives of the descendants of a friend of Marco Polo. Imago Mundi, vol. V.
- - Includes key to identifying countries and regions designated by Roman numerals.
- - Translation of the explanation of Roman numerals: Marco Polo. I. India and the adjacent islands, according to what the Saracens say. II. Cattigara of Tartary, island of Zipangu and adjacent islands. III. Peninsula of the Sea Lions. IV. Islands connected with the Peninsula of the Deer situated 2 to 4 hours of difference from the walled provinces of Tartary.
- - Given to the Library of Congress in 1935 by Mr. Marcian F. Rossi, a retired merchant, who considered himself a descendant of a friend of Marco Polo.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map : ms., vellum ; 22 x 19 cm., on sheet 29 x 41 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G7800 .M3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Polo, Marco, ?. Map of the Far East and adjacent Pacific. [129-?] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2005633013/.
APA citation style:
Polo, M. Map of the Far East and adjacent Pacific. [129-?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2005633013/.
MLA citation style:
Polo, Marco, ?. Map of the Far East and adjacent Pacific. [129-?] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2005633013/>.
More Maps like this
MapCartas esfericas y planos de los Puertos situados sobre las Costas Septentrionales de las Californias è ... Covers Pacific Coast extending from Mexico to Alaska. Relief shown by contours and hachures. Title and date in pencil on verso of all sheets. Pen-and-ink, watercolor, and pencil and mounted on cloth....
- Date: 1799
MapCarta de los descrubrimientos hechos en la costa N.O. de la America Septentrional. Pen-and-ink. Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image. Vault
- Contributor: Bodega Y Cuadra, Juan De La
- Date: 1792
Map[North America Scale ca. 1:9,000,000. Manuscript,pen-and-ink and watercolor. Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image. Vault AACR2
- Date: 1815
MapThe route of the Alaska excursion steamers. 14088 U.S. Copyright Office Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image. Includes ancillary maps of the Northwestern States and Alaska.
- Contributor: Fee, Charles S.
- Date: 1891
MapMapa de una parte de la America Septentrional Scale ca. 1:8,500,000. Manuscript, pen-and-ink tracing. Prime meridian: Paris. Relief shown pictorially. "Los limites propuestos dentro las memorias de los Señores Commissarios Inglezes del 21 Septbre. 1750, y Enero 1751 ... "...
- Date: 1751