Map A chart of the Gulf Stream
About this Item
- A chart of the Gulf Stream
- Contributor Names
- Poupard, James.
- Franklin, Benjamin, 1706-1790.
- Created / Published
- [Philadelphia, Pa. : American Philosophical Society, 1786?]
- Subject Headings
- - Gulf Stream--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Atlantic Ocean--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - North Atlantic Ocean--Maps--Early works to 1800
- - Nautical charts--Gulf Stream--Early works to 1800
- - Nautical charts--North Atlantic Ocean--Early works to 1800
- - Gulf Stream
- - Atlantic Ocean
- - North Atlantic Ocean
- - Appears in the Transactions of the American Philosophical Society, 1786.
- - Includes inset of North Atlantic and text in left margin "Remarks upon the navigation from Newfoundland to New-York, in order to avoid the Gulph Stream on one hand, and on the other the shoals that lie to the southward of Nantucket and of St. George's Banks," by B. Franklin.
- - Mounted on cloth.
- - Upper right margin: plate 5. Lower margin: facing page 315.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Copy imperfect: Mended triangular loss in upper margin.
- 1 map ; 21 x 26 cm., on sheet 29 x 46 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- G9112.G8P5 1786 .P6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
Rights and Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Electronic Sources on the Learning Page.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Poupard, James, and Benjamin Franklin. A chart of the Gulf Stream. [Philadelphia, Pa.: American Philosophical Society, ?, 1786] Map. https://www.loc.gov/item/2004627238/.
APA citation style:
Poupard, J. & Franklin, B. (1786) A chart of the Gulf Stream. [Philadelphia, Pa.: American Philosophical Society, ?] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2004627238/.
MLA citation style:
Poupard, James, and Benjamin Franklin. A chart of the Gulf Stream. [Philadelphia, Pa.: American Philosophical Society, ?, 1786] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2004627238/>.
More Maps like this
Map[Franklin-Folger chart of the Gulf Stream]. Shows the Gulf Stream. Publication authorized by Benjamin Franklin and Timothy Folger. Gulf Stream information overprinted on: A new and exact chart of Mr. E. Wrights projection, rut. Mercators chart, con. ye...
- Contributor: Moll, Herman - Folger, Timothy - Jno. Mount and Tho. Page - Wright, Edward - Franklin, Benjamin - Halley, Edmond
- Date: 1768
MapCarte générale de l'Océan Atlantique ou Occidental, Scale ca. 1:12,000,000. Depths shown by soundings. Mercator projection. Prime meridian: Paris. "No. 20." LC copy annotated in red to plot voyage from Brest to "F. Dauphin" in Haiti. Available also through...
- Contributor: France. Dépôt Des Cartes Et Plans De La Marine
- Date: 1792
MapPilot chart of the North Atlantic Shows prevailing wind direction by month. "Series C. No. 1." "New edition corrected 1857." The pilot charts were released as series C a part of Maury's "Wind and current charts", series A-F....
- Contributor: United States. Bureau of Ordnance and Hydrography - United States Naval Observatory - Brooke, John M. (John Mercer) - United States. Hydrographic Office - Maury, Matthew Fontaine
- Date: 1853
MapChart of North America from Boston to the Strait of Florida and Havana : in 4 ... Blue back coastal nautical chart extending from Havana to Richmond Island (Me.). Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by contours and soundings. Hand col. to emphasize navigation beacons and markers (some with...
- Contributor: Wilson, Charles William - Hobbs, J. S. (John Stratton) - Hobbs, J. S. - Norie & Wilson
- Date: 1863
MapBacon's chart of the Atlantic Telegraph : containing a history of telegraphy, origin and progress of ...
The Atlantic Telegraph Includes text, diagrams, and an ancillary map of "Map Showing the Proposed Ocean Telegraphs and Overland Route Round the World." Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster...
- Contributor: Bacon, G. W. (George Washington)
- Date: 1865