Book/Printed Material Image 10 of Annals of Creation.
About this Item
- Annals of Creation.
- The cover of this work by an unknown author bears the title Translation of the Entire Text of the "Yao Annals of Creation." In this bilingual text, the Dongba text is in color and the Chinese text is in black. The Dongba glyphs are ancient characters that were used to record the dialect of the western Naxi nationality centered around the Li River in Yunnan. They were developed in approximately the seventh century. The Annals of Creation reflect the understanding of the Naxi people concerning the natural world and the origins of humankind, and depict the Naxi people's ceaseless migrations over the course of their history and the struggle of their ancestors against nature. This work vividly portrays, in bright images, Chaozeng Li'en, the ancestor of the Naxi people, and his wife, Chenhong Baobai. The work overflows with admiration for the wisdom and heroism of the ancestors, intertwined with descriptions of faithful love. While recording Naxi history and traditional culture, the book also indirectly reflects the social life, religious philosophy, and matrimonial mores of the time. The work, which can truly be called a heroic epic, is not only representative of Dongba literature, but also an important classic of the Dongba religion, with great historical value.
- Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [900 to 999]
- Subject Headings
- - China--Yunnan Province
- - 600 to 999
- - Ancestor worship
- - Dongba script
- - Naxi (Chinese people)
- - Naxi manuscripts
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: One volume, 20.1 x 28 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: National Library of China.
- - Content in Naxi and Chinese.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Source Collection
- National Languages Collection
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- compressed data
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Annals of Creation. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 900 to 999, 0900] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667416/.
APA citation style:
(0900) Annals of Creation. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 900 to 999] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667416/.
MLA citation style:
Annals of Creation. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, 900 to 999, 0900] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667416/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
Travel Diaries of Xu Xiake: Not Divided in Juan. Xu Xiake you ji (Travel diaries of Xu Xiake) by Xu Hongzu (1586-1641) was the first travel record in China, with detailed geographical descriptions of the places visited by the author. The...
- Contributor: Bao, Tingbo - Qian, Qianyi - Xu, Hongzu
- Date: 1613
Voyage and Exploration in Cambodia and the Area to Its North. Jianpuzhai yi bei tan lu ji (Voyage and exploration in Cambodia and the area to its north) is a Chinese translation from an original French work entitled Voyage d'exploration en Indo-Chine effectué...
- Contributor: Ding, Richang - Garnier, Francis - LI, Wentian
- Date: 1873
New Edition of the Manual of Acupuncture Points on a Bronze Figure, in Seven Juan. One of the unique features of treatments in traditional Chinese medicine is acupuncture. During the Northern and Southern Song (960-1279), the science of acupuncture and moxibustion and the meridian and collateral theory...
- Date: 1271
Illustrated Introduction to Countries over the Seas. Hai guo tu zhi (Illustrated introduction to countries over the seas) is a comprehensive and systematic history and geography of the world and the first great masterpiece of Chinese modern history. Its...
- Contributor: Wei, Yuan - Lin, Zexu
- Date: 1842
Brief Records of the World. Ying huan zhi lue (Brief records of the world) by Xu Jiyu and Hai guo tu zhi (Illustrated introduction to countries over the seas) by Wei Yuan are the first two masterpieces...
- Contributor: Xu, Jiyu
- Date: 1794