Book/Printed Material Image 45 of Itinerary Book Kept During the Journey to East India, from October 18, 1746 to June 20, 1749.
About this Item
- Itinerary Book Kept During the Journey to East India, from October 18, 1746 to June 20, 1749.
- Other Title
- Dagbok hållen på resan till Ostindien 1746-1749
- From 1746 to 1749, the Swedish rigged brig Götha Lejon sailed on a mercantile mission to Canton. Several accounts of what transpired have survived. This handwritten journal, compiled by Carl Johan Gethe, recounts the long journey to and from Canton and relates Gethe's impressions of Cadiz, Canton, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, and Java. The journal includes astute observations of daily life, descriptions of local customs and the great variety of forms of the Chinese language, and reflections on the journey itself, as well as an enthralling account of the flora and fauna encountered on the voyage. The captain of the Götha Lejon was Bengt Askbom. The journal of Carl Fredrik von Schantz (1727-92) provides another view of the same mission to Canton.
- Contributor Names
- Gethe, Carl Johan, 1728-1765 Creator.
- Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1746 to 1749]
- Subject Headings
- - China--Guangdong Province--Guangzhou
- - Spain--Andalucía--Cádiz
- - Spain--Canary Islands--Tenerife
- - Indonesia--Java
- - 1746 to 1749
- - Canton
- - Description and travel
- - Diaries
- - East India Company
- - Götha Leijon, ship
- - Trading companies
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 156 pages, XX plates, 1 folded map.
- - Original resource at: National Library of Sweden.
- - Content in Swedish.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- compressed data
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Gethe, Carl Johan, Creator. Itinerary Book Kept During the Journey to East India, fromto June 20, 1749. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1749, 1746] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667602/.
APA citation style:
Gethe, C. J. (1746) Itinerary Book Kept During the Journey to East India, fromto June 20, 1749. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1749] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667602/.
MLA citation style:
Gethe, Carl Johan, Creator. Itinerary Book Kept During the Journey to East India, fromto June 20, 1749. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1749, 1746] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667602/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
Description of a Trip to Canton 1746-1749.
Beskrivning av en resa till Kanton 1746-1749 From 1746 to 1749, the Swedish rigged brig Götha Lejon sailed on a mercantile mission to Canton. Several accounts of what transpired have survived. This handwritten journal has been attributed to Carl...
- Contributor: Schantz, Carl Fredrik Von
- Date: 1746
Manuscrito colombino In this manuscript, enscribed Cadiz, Spain, November 20, 1493, Christopher Columbus describes the new lands he has discovered, which he calls the East Indies. The manuscript is written on linen paper and...
- Contributor: Columbus, Christopher
- Date: 1493
Constitution of the Spanish Monarchy, Enacted in Cádiz on March 19, 1812.
Constitucion política de la Monarquia Española, Promulgada en Cádiz á 19 de Marzo de 1812 On March 19, 1812, during the Spanish War of Independence (1808-14), the Cortes of Cádiz promulgated the Constitution of the Spanish Monarchy, affectionately known as "La Pepa" for having been enacted on...
- Contributor: Spain. General Courts - Santiago, Jose María De, Flourished
- Date: 1822
The Alhambra. Washington Irving (1783-1859) was one of the most widely read American authors of his day, and one of the first to be recognized in Europe for his works of fiction. Born in...
- Contributor: Pennell, Elizabeth Robins - Pennell, Joseph - Irving, Washington
- Date: 1896
The Breath of Perfume. Ahmad ibn Muhammad al-Maqqari (circa 1578--1632) was an Arab historian who wrote one of the oldest histories of Muslim Spain. He was born in Tlemcen, in present-day Algeria, and at times lived...
- Contributor: Maqqarī, Aḥmad Ibn Muḥammad, 1631
- Date: 1855