Book/Printed Material Image 40 of The Book of Horses.
About this Item
- The Book of Horses.
- This work is an undated manuscript copy of the Faras-nāma (The book of horses) of ʻAbd Allāh Khān Bahādur Fīrūz. It apparently was written during the reign of Shah Jahan (reigned 1628--58) and based in part on a versified source in Sanskrit of 16,000 shloka (couplets), the Shalihotra, dating from 2500--1500 BC. Among the topics treated are the color of a horse's coat and its significance (chapter 2), the horse's mane (chapter 3), signs indicating the agility of a horse on the battlefield (chapter 4), and signs indicating that a horse was inauspicious (chapter 6). Chapter 2 states, for example, that "a horse that is white with a bit of yellow mixed in ... and that has a red mane ... is considered auspicious." The text is fully illustrated. In addition to the Shalihotra, the author claims to have incorporated material from a Faras-nāma dating from the sultanate of Mahmud of Ghazni (reigned 998--1030). The earliest complete surviving example of the genre of Persian literature dealing specifically with horses and their care appears to be a Faras-nāma by a certain Moḥammad ibn Moḥammad ibn Zangī, dating from the 12th century, of which a single manuscript copy exists in the Genel Kütüphanesi in Bursa, Turkey. The genre of the Faras-nāma is divisible into several categories: books attributed to Aristotle, books translated from Arabic, books originally written in Persian, and books from Hindu sources. ʻAbd Allāh Khān's work belongs to this last category. It is likely that the book was also partially plagiarized from an earlier work reportedly based on a Hindu source: Faras-nāma-ye Hāshemī by Zayn al-Ābidīn Husaynī, written in 1520.
- Contributor Names
- Bahādur Fīrūz, ʻAbd Allāh Khān Author.
- Ḥusaynī, Zayn al-ʻĀbidīn Contributor.
- Created / Published
- [place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [1628 to 1658]
- Subject Headings
- - 1520 to 1658
- - Horses
- - Veterinary medicine
- - Title devised, in English, by Library staff.
- - Original resource extent: 232 pages (11 lines) : illustrations ; 25 x 17 centimeters.
- - Original resource at: Qatar National Library.
- - Content in Persian.
- - Description based on data extracted from World Digital Library, which may be extracted from partner institutions.
- 1 online resource.
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- compressed data
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright or other restrictions in the World Digital Library Collection. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse. Researchers are encouraged to review the source information attached to each item. For information on contacting WDL partner organizations, see this archived list of partners
The Library asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here.
Credit Line: [Original Source citation], World Digital Library
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For additional information and contact information for many of the partner organizations, see this archived capture of the World Digital Library site from 2021.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bahādur Fīrūz, ʻAbd Allāh Khān Author, and Zayn Al-ʻĀbidīn Contributor Ḥusaynī. The Book of Horses. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1658, 1628] Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667291/.
APA citation style:
Bahādur Fīrūz, ʻ. A. K. A. & Ḥusaynī, Z. A. C. (1628) The Book of Horses. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1658] [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021667291/.
MLA citation style:
Bahādur Fīrūz, ʻAbd Allāh Khān Author, and Zayn Al-ʻĀbidīn Contributor Ḥusaynī. The Book of Horses. [Place of Publication Not Identified: Publisher Not Identified, to 1658, 1628] Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021667291/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
The True Account of Veterinary Medicine. Kitāb ṣidq al-bayān fī ṭibb al-ḥayawān (The true account of veterinary medicine) is a late 19th century veterinary science manual by Lebanese author Jirjīs Ṭannūs ʻAwn. It is divided into two main...
- Contributor: ʻawn, Jirjis Ṭannūs, Active 19th Century
- Date: 1884
The Science of the Medical Treatment of Horses. ʻIlm ṭibb al-khayl (The science of the medical treatment of horses) is a book on hippiatrics. It is composed in 175 chapters of varying length, the shortest of which consist only of...
- Date: 1826
The countryman's experience. Also available in digital form.
- Contributor: Bowersmith, Isaac
- Date: 1872
The farmer's complete farrier, Also available in digital form.
- Contributor: Rupp, I. Daniel (Israel Daniel)
- Date: 1844
Twentieth century horse book. Method of handling and educating the horse. Also available in digital form.
- Contributor: Morgan, David B[Enjamin]
- Date: 1902