Maps Passages of the Rappahannock and Battle of Fredericksburg, December 10th to 16th, 1862 : copied from the original belonging to Gen'l. Burnside
About this Item
- Passages of the Rappahannock and Battle of Fredericksburg, December 10th to 16th, 1862 : copied from the original belonging to Gen'l. Burnside
- Contributor Names
- Callahan, Denis.
- Doull, Alexander.
- Hains, Peter C. (Peter Conover), 1840-1921.
- Hotchkiss, Jedediah, 1828-1899.
- Wainwright, Charles S. (Charles Shiels)
- United States. Topographical Bureau.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Fredericksburg (Va.), Battle of, 1862
- - Fredericksburg Region (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia
- - Fredericksburg, Va., Battle of
- - "Map originally prepared following the Battle of Fredericksburg in December 1862 ... enhanced by the addition of details from a captured map prepared by topographical engineer Jedediah Hotchkiss for the use of Confederate lietenant general Stonewall Jackson. A significant feature of the map is an overlay (overleaf) depicting the rapidly changing positions of Federal troops during and after their successful crossing of the Rappahannock River"--Virginia in maps, 2000 (atlas).
- - "Sketch to accompany the report of Brigadier General Henry J. Hunt, chief of artillery, Army of the Potomac, compiled from the surveys of the Topographical Dept., sketches made by Lieut. P. Haines [i.e. , Hains] T.E., and Col. C.S. Wainwright 1st N.Y.A., Chief of Arty. 1st Corps and a survey of the rebel position by Lt. Jed. Hotchkiss T.E. to Lt. Gen. Jackson C.S.A., by [signed] Alexander Doull, Major 2d N.Y. Ay. Insp. of Arty."
- - Oriented with north toward the upper left.
- - Relief shown by hachures and shading.
- - Shows Federal and Confederate positions, headquarters of commanding generals, batteries, woodland, and marsh areas.
- - Similar to no. 2.239, Guide to Civil War maps in the National Archives.
- - This item is in the Map Collection of the Library of Virginia; please contact the Library's Archives Research Services department for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Copy of original version belonging to General Burnside: Alexander Doull. 1862. 66 x 76 cm.
- - C.1, Oct. 2001, source unknown (1968), gift, ALE; c.2, photocopy, LVA, ALE.
- 1 map : ms., col., mounted on paper ; 62 x 78 cm.
- Library of Virginia Richmond, VA 23219-8000 USA vau For copies contact: Archives Research Services.
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Hains, Peter C. (Peter Conover)
United States. Topographical Bureau
Wainwright, Charles S. (Charles Shiels)
Fredericksburg (Va.), Battle of
Fredericksburg Region (Va.)
Fredericksburg, Va., Battle of
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Callahan, Denis, Alexander Doull, Peter C Hains, Jedediah Hotchkiss, Charles S Wainwright, and United States Topographical Bureau. Passages of the Rappahannock and Battle of Fredericksburg, December 10th to 16th, 1862: copied from the original belonging to Gen'l. Burnside. 1863. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/lva0000023/. (Accessed January 19, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Callahan, D., Doull, A., Hains, P. C., Hotchkiss, J., Wainwright, C. S. & United States Topographical Bureau. (1863) Passages of the Rappahannock and Battle of Fredericksburg, December 10th to 16th, 1862: copied from the original belonging to Gen'l. Burnside. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/lva0000023/.
MLA citation style:
Callahan, Denis, et al. Passages of the Rappahannock and Battle of Fredericksburg, December 10th to 16th, 1862: copied from the original belonging to Gen'l. Burnside. 1863. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/lva0000023/>.