Maps Map of the battle field of Gettysburg, July 1st, 2nd, 3rd 1863 Map 3
About this Item
- Map of the battle field of Gettysburg, July 1st, 2nd, 3rd 1863
- Contributor Names
- Bachelder, John B. (John Badger), 1825-1894.
- Bien, Julius, 1826-1909.
- Neuman, Louis E.
- United States. Army. Corps of Engineers.
- Created / Published
- [Philadelphia : Chilton Co., Book Division, 1959]
- Subject Headings
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863--Maps
- - Gettysburg Region (Pa.)--Maps
- - United States--Pennsylvania--Gettysburg Region
- - Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa
- - "The map is reduced from one on a scale of 200 feet to the inch, deposited in the Archives of the office of the Chief of Engineers. The survey was ordered by Brevet Major General A. A. Humphreys, Chief of Engineers, and conducted under Brevet Major General G. K. Warren, Major of Engineers."
- - "Topography engraved by Julius Bien . . . N.Y. Positions & lettering by Louis E. Neuman . . . N.Y."
- - A very minute analysis of the deployment of the various units of both armies, with the names of commanding officers, period of time spent in a particular position, and other pertinent information is given. Dotted lines and arrows indicate the movements of the troops, and the positions at various times of the day are shown by symbols explained in the legend.
- - An extremely detailed topographic map with spot elevations and contours "given for every change of 4 feet in elevation." Drainage, vegetation, roads, railroads, fences, houses with names of residents, and a detailed plan of the town of Gettysburg are shown. "Every object is represented here as near as possible as it was at the time of the battle."
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - From: Shaping of a battle : Gettysburg / James Stuart Montgomery. Philadelphia : Chilton Co., Book Division, 1959.
- - Relief shown by form lines and spot heights.
- - Reprint. Orginally published: New ed. Detroit, Mich. : U.S. Lake Survey, 1912.
- - Similar to no. 325 (1876), LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.).
- - The maps are entitled: First day's battle. Second day's battle. Third day's battle.
- - The scale on the 1959 reprint maps is reduced from the stated figures: "Scale 1:12,000. 1 inch represents 1000 feet."
- - This item is in the Map Collection of the Library of Virginia; please contact the Library's Archives Research Services department for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- - Oct. 2002; maps 1-3 removed from book when cataloged (1959); Map Cataloging Team.
- - Civil War Map Proj. no.: LVA00068.
- - Conservation: Etherington Conservation Center, July 2002.
- - Digital image available: 25 x 23 in.
- - Map accession nos. 1757a-c.
- - Previously filed as: 748.42 M6 1861-1865 1876 1912.
- 3 maps ; each 64 x 61 cm. on sheet 82 x 64 cm.
- Library of Virginia Richmond, VA 23219-8000 USA vau For copies contact: Archives Research Services.
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsBachelder, John (John Badger)
Neuman, Louis E.
United States. Army. Corps of Engineers
Gettysburg Region (Pa.)
Gettysburg, Battle Of, Gettysburg, Pa
Gettysburg, Battle Of, Gettysburg, Pa.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Bachelder, John B, Julius Bien, Louis E Neuman, and United States Army. Corps Of Engineers. Map of the battle field of Gettysburg, July 1st, 2nd, 3rd 1863. [Philadelphia: Chilton Co., Book Division, 1959] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/lva0000068/. (Accessed February 26, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Bachelder, J. B., Bien, J., Neuman, L. E. & United States Army. Corps Of Engineers. (1959) Map of the battle field of Gettysburg, July 1st, 2nd, 3rd 1863. [Philadelphia: Chilton Co., Book Division] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/lva0000068/.
MLA citation style:
Bachelder, John B, et al. Map of the battle field of Gettysburg, July 1st, 2nd, 3rd 1863. [Philadelphia: Chilton Co., Book Division, 1959] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/lva0000068/>.