Maps Colton's Virginia.
About this Item
- Colton's Virginia.
- Other Title
- Colton's map of Virginia
- Contributor Names
- Colton, J. H. (Joseph Hutchins), 1800-1893.
- Created / Published
- New York : J.H. Colton, 1862, c1855.
- Subject Headings
- - Virginia.--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps.--Maps
- - West Virginia.--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps.--Maps
- - United States--Virginia
- - United States--West Virginia
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1855 by J.H. Colton & Co. in the Clerks Office of the District Court for the Southern District of New York."
- - Accompanied by cover: Colton's map of Virginia / J.H. Colton.
- - Insets: Richmond, Henrico County, Manchester and Spring Hill, Chesterfield Co. -- Norfolk, Portsmouth and Gosport.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Shows roads, railroads, canals, and post offices.
- - This item is in the Map Collection of the Library of Virginia; please contact the Library's Archives Research Services department for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- - c.1, Feb. 1926, N.F. Morrison, b; c. 2 1954 photocopy, LVA; Feb. 2003, Map Cataloging Team.
- - C. 1, map accession no. 1932 (1926); c. 2 (negative photostat, LVA, Dec. 1954, approx. 45 x 52 cm.)
- - Civil War project no.: lva00093.
- - Conservation: copy 1 Etherington Conservation Center, Dec. 2002.
- - Digital image available: 13 3/4 x 16 1/2 in.
- - Previously filed as: 755 1862 (2).
- 1 map : col., mounted on paper ; 35 x 42 cm.
- Library of Virginia Richmond, VA 23219-8000 USA vau For copies contact: Archives Research Services.
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Colton, J. H. Colton's Virginia. New York: J.H. Colton, 1862, 1862. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/lva0000093/. (Accessed December 08, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Colton, J. H. (1862) Colton's Virginia. New York: J.H. Colton, 1862. [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/lva0000093/.
MLA citation style:
Colton, J. H. Colton's Virginia. New York: J.H. Colton, 1862, 1862. Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/lva0000093/>.