Maps Revised plan of battle of Malvern Hill, July 1st, 1862 (official).
About this Item
- Revised plan of battle of Malvern Hill, July 1st, 1862 (official).
- Details the action of July 1, 1862, with most of the major Confederate forces under the command of Stonewall Jackson, D. H. Hill, and Magruder, identified in their location north of Malvern Hill, and all the Union troops due south of the Confederates, notably including Berdan's sharpshooters and the troops of Heintzelman, under whom Sneden served, Couch, Morell, and others.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Berdan, Hiram,--ca. 1823-1893
- - Couch, Darius Nash,--1822-1897
- - Heintzelman, Samuel Peter,--1805-1880
- - Hill, D. H.--(Daniel Harvey),--1821-1889
- - Jackson, Stonewall,--1824-1863
- - Magruder, John Bankhead,--1807-1871
- - Morell, George Webb,--1815-1883
- - United States.--Army.--Sharpshooters Regiment, 1st (1861-1864)
- - Malvern Hill, Battle of, Va., 1862
- - Henrico County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - James River (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Henrico County
- - United States--Virginia--James River
- - United States--Virginia--Malvern Hill
- - Malvern Hill, Battle of, Va
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary page.
- - Sneden shows the trajectory of the gunboat shells fired from the James River around Turkey Island toward the Confederate positions, landing between the main Confederate forces and the backup forces of Longstreet and A. P. Hill.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - Robert Knox Sneden scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1), Virginia Historical Society.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden diary, 1861-1865 (v. 3, p. 185).
- - Manuscripts.
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 18 x 12 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Couch, Darius Nash
Heintzelman, Samuel Peter
Henrico County (Va.)
Hill, D. H.
James River (Va.)
Magruder, John Bankhead
Malvern Hill, Battle Of, Va
Malvern Hill, Battle Of, Va.
Morell, George Webb
Sharpshooters Regiment, 1st
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Revised plan of battle of Malvern Hill, July 1st, 1862 official. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00034/. (Accessed January 23, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1862) Revised plan of battle of Malvern Hill, July 1st, 1862 official. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00034/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Revised plan of battle of Malvern Hill, July 1st, 1862 official. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00034/>.