Maps Charleston Harbor S.C. Bombardment of Fort Sumter.
About this Item
- Charleston Harbor S.C. Bombardment of Fort Sumter.
- Regional view of Charleston Harbor showing the city of Charleston on the Ashley and Cooper rivers, Castle Pinckney on Shute's Folly Island, Pleasantville and Mt. Pleasant Battery, Mechanicsville and batteries on Sullivan's Island, and the Morris and James island batteries, and their distances from Fort Sumter. Shipping channels and the U.S. warships and supply fleet are also noted.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Charleston (S.C.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Charleston Harbor (S.C.)--Maps
- - Fort Sumter (Charleston, S.C.)--History--Siege, 1861
- - United States--South Carolina--Charleston Harbor
- - United States--South Carolina--Fort Sumter (Charleston)
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 1, p. 33).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 12 x 16.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Fort Sumter (Charleston)
Charleston Harbor (S.C.)
Fort Sumter (Charleston)
Fort Sumter (Charleston, S.C.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Charleston Harbor S.C. Bombardment of Fort Sumter. [to 1865, 1861] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00058/. (Accessed February 19, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1861) Charleston Harbor S.C. Bombardment of Fort Sumter. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00058/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Charleston Harbor S.C. Bombardment of Fort Sumter. [to 1865, 1861] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00058/>.