Maps Map of the field of operations, November 1863.
About this Item
- Map of the field of operations, November 1863.
- Map shows the area between Culpeper Courthouse and Orange Courthouse including the location of Federal troops under Meade in Union-held towns and along the Rappahannock River. On November 7th, the Union army began its advance across the Rappahannock River at Rappahannock Station. The map also indicates the location of Confederate strongholds along the Rapidan River.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1863-1865]
- Subject Headings
- - Culpeper County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Orange County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Culpeper County
- - United States--Virginia--Orange County
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - Copy of map made for Maj. Genl. W. H. French, 3rd Army Corps.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 5, p. 24).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 16.5 x 12.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Culpeper County (Va.)
Orange County (Va.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Map of the field of operations, November 1863. [S.l., to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00172/. (Accessed January 17, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1863) Map of the field of operations, November 1863. [S.l., to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00172/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Map of the field of operations, November 1863. [S.l., to 1865, 1863] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00172/>.