Maps Plan of action at Devaux Neck South Carolina. December 9th 1864.
About this Item
- Plan of action at Devaux Neck South Carolina. December 9th 1864.
- Devaux Neck is a peninsula formed by the Tulfinney and Coosawatchie rivers as they branch off the Broad River. The peninsula is crossed by the Charleston and Savannah Railroad. This map, in closer detail than the one on p. 196, shows the skirmish between Confederate forces protecting the railroad and Union forces (the 127th New York Regiment under Gen. E. E. Potter) hoping to secure it.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- [S.l., 1864-1865]
- Subject Headings
- - Potter, Edward Elmer,--1823-1889
- - Charleston and Savannah Railroad--Maps
- - Devaux Neck (S.C.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Jasper County (S.C.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - South Carolina--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--South Carolina--Devaux Neck
- - United States--South Carolina--Jasper County
- - "From official plan, War Dept." - lower right.
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this diary image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Diary (Mss5:1 Sn237:1 v. 6 , p. 197).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 16.5 x 12.5 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
SubjectsCharleston and Savannah Railroad
Devaux Neck (S.C.)
Jasper County (S.C.)
Potter, Edward Elmer
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of action at Devaux Neck South Carolina. December 9th 1864. [S.l., to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00183/. (Accessed January 19, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1864) Plan of action at Devaux Neck South Carolina. December 9th 1864. [S.l., to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00183/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of action at Devaux Neck South Carolina. December 9th 1864. [S.l., to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00183/>.