Maps Plan of the battle of the North Anna fought May 23rd-26th, 1864.
About this Item
- Plan of the battle of the North Anna fought May 23rd-26th, 1864.
- Grant's continued attempts to turn Lee's flank and allow the Union troops access to Richmond were once again thwarted at the North Anna. Hoping to lure the Confederates away from Spotsylvania Court House, Union forces under Hancock headed for Hanover Junction, an important intersection of the Virginia Central and Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac railroads, hoping Lee would follow. Anticipating this maneuver, Lee moved a division division into an intrenched position directly in Hancock's path.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - North Anna River, Battle of, Va., 1864--Maps
- - Hanover County (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - North Anna River (Va.)--History--Civil war, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Hanover County
- - United States--Virginia--North Anna River
- - North Anna River, Battle of, Va
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 346).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 18 x 11 cm.
- Source Collection
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
North Anna River
North Anna River
Hanover County (Va.)
North Anna River
North Anna River (Va.)
North Anna River, Battle Of, Va
North Anna River, Battle Of, Va.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of the battle of the North Anna fought May 23rd-26th, 1864. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00237/. (Accessed December 11, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1864) Plan of the battle of the North Anna fought May 23rd-26th, 1864. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00237/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Plan of the battle of the North Anna fought May 23rd-26th, 1864. [to 1865, 1864] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00237/>.