Maps Second battle field at Bull Run
About this Item
- Second battle field at Bull Run
- Shows the Union forces under Gen. John Pope and the Confederates under Gen. Robert E. Lee on the 29th, 30th, and 31st of August 1862 in an area of Virginia defined by the towns of Chantilly to the north, Manassas Junction to the South, Centreville to the east and Gainesville to the west.
- Contributor Names
- Sneden, Robert Knox, 1832-1918.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Evans, Nathan George,--1824-1868
- - Ewell, Richard Stoddert,--1817-1872
- - Hood, John Bell,--1831-1879
- - Hooker, Joseph,--1814-1879
- - Jackson, Stonewall,--1824-1863
- - Kearny, Philip,--1815-1862
- - Lee, Robert E.--(Robert Edward),--1807-1870
- - Longstreet, James,--1821-1904
- - Pope, John,--1822-1892
- - Bull Run, 2nd Battle of, Va., 1862--Maps
- - Manassas Region (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Manassas Region
- - Bull Run, 2nd Battle of, Va
- - "Aug. 29th. Jackson opened with artillery on his right at 11 am. The line of Battle was -- Jackson on our right, Ewell centre, A. P. Hill on left with Longstreet still further to the left. Kearny & Hooker broke their left [and] doubled it. Aug. 31st Rebel lines were 5 miles long -- from Sudley Springs towards Centreville. Union forces charged Jackson in 3 lines and were flanked by 4 Rebel Batteries and were repulsed at 2 PM. Longstreet now threw his whole command against the Union centre and left, led by Hood and Evans. Jackson charged still further on the Union left -- driving in the whole line on Centreville and doubling it up. Rebel forces took 7000 prisoners, including 2000 wounded ...."--Page caption.
- - Color coding indicates the location of Union and Confederate forces.
- - NOTE: Researchers will be served a color photocopy of this scrapbook image.
- - This item is from the collections of the Virginia Historical Society; please contact the institution for more information.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Robert Knox Sneden Scrapbook (Mss5:7 Sn237:1 p. 55).
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor ; 41.5 x 38 cm.
- Source Collection
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, VA 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
ContributorsSneden, Robert Knox
Bull Run, 2nd Battle Of, Va
Bull Run, 2nd Battle Of, Va.
Evans, Nathan George
Ewell, Richard Stoddert
Hood, John Bell
Lee, Robert E.
Manassas Region (Va.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Second battle field at Bull Run. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00241/. (Accessed February 20, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Sneden, R. K. (1862) Second battle field at Bull Run. [to 1865] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00241/.
MLA citation style:
Sneden, Robert Knox. Second battle field at Bull Run. [to 1865, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00241/>.