Maps 1862 map of the James River.
About this Item
- 1862 map of the James River.
- Other Title
- Map of the James River 1862.
- Payne, a member of the 4th Virginia Cavalry, C.S.A., was wounded and captured during the Battle of Williamsburg, Va., in May 1862. This map depicts the area of the Virginia Peninsula between Williamsburg and Richmond.
- Contributor Names
- Payne, William Henry Fitzhugh, 1830-1904.
- Hunton family.
- Created / Published
- [S.l. : s.n., 1862].
- Subject Headings
- - Payne, William Henry Fitzhugh,--1830-1904
- - Confederate States of America.--Army.--Virginia Cavalry Regiment, 4th
- - Williamsburg, Battle of, Williamsburg, Va., 1862
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Prisoners and prisons
- - Virginia Peninsula (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Virginia Peninsula
- - Williamsburg, Battle of, Va
- - "Map - prepared when at Williamsburg wounded. It was designed to aid my escape - 1882"--Page caption.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as a raster image.
- - In the Hunton family papers, 1809-1935.
- - Manuscripts
- 1 map : pen-and-ink and watercolor : 20 x 32 cm.
- Virginia Historical Society, P.O. Box 7311, Richmond, Va 23221-0311 USA vau
- Digital Id
- Online Format
Payne, William Henry Fitzhugh
Confederate States of America
Payne, William Henry Fitzhugh
Prisoners and Prisons
Virginia Cavalry Regiment, 4th
Virginia Peninsula (Va.)
Williamsburg, Battle Of, Va
Williamsburg, Battle Of, Williamsburg, Va.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Payne, William Henry Fitzhugh, and Hunton Family. 1862 map of the James River. [S.l.: s.n, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00391/. (Accessed February 19, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Payne, W. H. F. & Hunton Family. (1862) 1862 map of the James River. [S.l.: s.n] [Map] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00391/.
MLA citation style:
Payne, William Henry Fitzhugh, and Hunton Family. 1862 map of the James River. [S.l.: s.n, 1862] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/gvhs01.vhs00391/>.